Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Convertibl
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    Yeah, there are problematic versions of that one floating around...been awhile since I doinked with it, but I should have a working version around here, I'll look.

EDIT: Try this one. Just remove the ".pdf" from the name.Attachment 464231
    Thank you Kevin for the files, thank you HansV for the schematics (which i used ;-) )
    Did another test yesterday and despite the fact that your DME331 file is englisch and it causes INPA to bother thatīs another language version it works almost perfect now! Yesterday i even did a first try on coding with NCSExpert/NCS Dummy, now i have autoclose on my rear windows ;-)

Thanks for all the effort all of you put into this and all the help for me. Iīll do some further tests now on my girlfriendīs e36 316i compact and my brotherīs e39 330d touring and report back.
    Only issue by now is that the interface seems to be influenced by em signals so it takes sometimes a bit longer to establish connection or connection is lost during reading the values. Iīm now reading some pages on protecting from em waves and report back

greetings

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Convertibl
    Thanks to all of you and special thanks do KevinMullins for the files and HansV whose schematics i used. After copying Kevinīs files connecting DME works almost perfectly. I even did my first coding experiment yesterday, now i have autoclose on my convertibleīs rear windows. So INPA and NCS are working... Now i will build my interface again with a new pcb and try again. ATM i have some connection errors due to EM interferences....
    Next Steps: New interface, better EM protection, get DIS running

Greetings from germany

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Connections to the modules works better with DIS, but everything is a lot slower slower. Make sure you install the version called EasyDIS, that has some changes made to is and is the last DIS version wich also can do coding.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Just a warning:
    I got some PCB's from Imall where they printed the notation on the wrong side. I soldered the components on this side as well without thinking, and that did not work very well.
    If any others order PCBs, make sure to check the schmatics and component placement drawing to verify that the components are on the correct side. The power connection should be in the lower, right corner when looking at the component side.
    The board is OK and worked fine when the components was soldered on the correct side.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by pheno View Post
    Some small mods were needed in the schema. For example jumper from K to pin 10 on 4053.
    Please note anything you may have done different on yours.
    I did notice that particular jumper is on the final schematic I have, but the pcb layout appears different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I got the PCB from Hans. He told that a jumper wire from K to pin 10 on 4053 is needed. So I did that.
    Ah... That makes sense then, because he has it on his latest schematic revision, guess it just didn't make it onto that run of pcb's.

In my program I have implemented kw71 init function that older bmw ecus use. But just init. You can try it from Debug->Serial port and press button L-line init. A textfield next to that is the ecu address.I also found out that my ecu responds to that which was kind of interesting because it also responds to newer protocol requests. Anyway with ADS from Gert kw71 init was succesful but with mkii design it did not respond. Strange because Inpa works.
    Your software is the "testo" live data stuff right?
    The latest version I have is "testo-19-Apr-2013" ... is that the newest version?
    I haven't tried yours out yet, but I can if you want since I built HansV's design based off the schematic and it seems to work on our E36's with what testing I have done with it.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Ok, I'll give it a shot next time I get the chance. Been tied up with mechanical repairs on my daughters car lately, haven't been playing with software much.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Sorry about the layout files. The track to pin 10 needs to be cut and pin 10 strapped to the k-line.
    I have corrected PCB files if anybody wants to order PCBs from Imall. Just send me a PM.
    Currently I am working on a round board that is soldered directly to the 20 pin connector for easier assembly. I also have a no-led version of the board with lesser components.
    You get 10 boards for about 10$ from Imall.

Please note anything you may have done different on yours.
    I did notice that particular jumper is on the final schematic I have, but the pcb layout appears different.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    @HansV or anyone else using the CD4053 design ... Can you access the EGS (transmission) module?
    I have not been able to at all on the 1994 325i that I have been working on. Trying to narrow down if it's a diagnostics software/hardware problem or a problem with the module itself.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    My car don't have a EGS module, so I have not been able to test this.

My Cars
    E34 525i 91' Touring
    HansV --> Hello, I have question for you.

I made ADS interface according to your drawing - "ADS interface Mk1" and I can successfully connect to (using inpa or dis):
    - E39 '97 - all available modules
    - E60 '04 - all available modules
    - E34 '93 - all available modules

but I cannot to connect to DME 3.1 Motronic and other modules responsible for engine in my car - E34, M50B25 non vanos, 12/91.

I don't know what is wrong... I can connect to other modules e.g ZKE, ABS, AIRBAG but DME .....no

I can make interface mk2... maybe it resolves my problem ??

What do you think about this ?

I'm sorry for my english but it isn't my national language.

Regards
    Piotr

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    You should use the MKII interface, that solved the low voltage problem some had. But I do not know if this will solve your problems. You can just drop the LEDs if you dont have use for them and connect the pull-up resistors directly to 12v.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Convertibl
    @efendi71: try the solution on page 14 reply #337
    Yeah, there are problematic versions of that one floating around...been awhile since I doinked with it, but I should have a working version around here, I'll look.

EDIT: Try this one. Just remove the ".pdf" from the name.Attachment 464231
    I think this could work for you too

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    @HansV or anyone else using the CD4053 design ... Can you access the EGS (transmission) module?
    I have not been able to at all on the 1994 325i that I have been working on. Trying to narrow down if it's a diagnostics software/hardware problem or a problem with the module itself.
    Do you have LEDs on your interface now? It would sure be interesting to see exactly what they do while trying to access the unresponsive module.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Do you have LEDs on your interface now? It would sure be interesting to see exactly what they do while trying to access the unresponsive module.
    No, I took all that off when I finished putting the MKII design together and all seemed to be working well. (which it does aside from the transmission stuff)
    Based on the error I get and the length of time it takes before popping up I would assume it's "trying" to access the module, possibly even "finding" the module... just gets a "IFH-0010 Data transmission to Control Unit Disturbed" error after a delay of doing pretty much nothing on-screen.

Haven't had a chance to mess with it much lately though.

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post

If you have a serial connector, a handful of transistors, an assortment of resistors, and a breadboard/perfboard to place them on, then you can build this ADS interface for use with INPA and whatnot. You should be able to buy the parts at a place like radio shack or sparkfun for a few dollars if you don't already have them.

I found that this suited my needs and budget much better than any of the premade options. I imagine others might benefit from it as well, so I'm posting the schematic. I don't expect I'll be doing a full writeup on it, but I do hope some other enthusiastic soul out there takes it and does so. If you can work on your car I think you can build one of these.

To anyone who does try it out, I'd be much obliged to hear about your results. I've been using this interface for a while now, but there may be an error in the schematic I don't know about or improvements that should be made.
    This is one of the byproducts of the job. I designed it because we needed to snoop in the communications to reverse engineer the protocols. I found all the existing interfaces to get needlessly complex and pricey as they all appear to get based on BMW's early first layout.

My Cars
    E34 525i 91' Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by archonx View Post
    @efendi71: try the solution on page 14 reply #337
    I think this could work for you too
    no no, I haven't DME 3.3.1 and I haven't problem with scripts with or without EWS.

I have Motronic 3.1 used in early M50 engine (E34 and E36) to 09/92.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320i
    Hi, firstly I would like to say big thanks for your pretty work on DIY ads interface. I admire that job!
    Secondly, I'm seeking for some help. I made HansV ADS interface mk1 and I have a trouble with 1992 E34 530i M60 (DME M3.3) and 1996 E34 520i M50 (DME MS40.1). I'm using INPA 4.4.7, Ediabas 6.43, DIS v.44. I cannot connect DME. Connection to other units (ZKE, airbag...) is OK. EDIABAS.INI is set "Interface = ADS" and I think thats correct.
    Do somebody know where is a problem? Bad version software or have I to make MK2 interface or something else?
    Thanks again, guys! :-)

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I would start by making the MKII version.
    Some changes between version I and II made a world of difference on a lot of finicky modules.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320i
    OK, I try to make and test MKII.
    In other event, I found that problem was in bad files in C:/EDIABAS/ECU. What you think about this? May be my problem also here?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I have had bad or missing files cause problems.
    Insure that you have the appropriate .prg files in the C:/EDIABAS/ECU directory to match your DME's.
    Also make sure you have the right .ipo files in the C:/INPA/SGDAT folder that match your DME's.

My Cars
    E36 1997
    HansV you have finished a draft of the PCB (Eagle or black and white PDF or bitmap or other format) ADS interface MKII with post # 254?
    I searched the whole subject, and unfortunately I did not find.
    Last edited by kkkkamil26; 08-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320i
    I have had bad or missing files cause problems.
    Insure that you have the appropriate .prg files in the C:/EDIABAS/ECU directory to match your DME's.
    Also make sure you have the right .ipo files in the C:/INPA/SGDAT folder that match your DME's.
    I think the names of files are OK, but I'm not sure.

Today, I try MKII version and DIS v.44 and the results are:
    1992 E34 530i M60 (DME M3.3) - I can connect all units.
    1996 E34 520i M50 (DME MS40.1) - I can connect all units with the exception of DME

I also try connect 520i using OBD manufactured cable (which I'm using with no problems to connect 1996 E36 320i M52 DME MS41.0) and the result is that I connect only airbag. All other units doesn't respond.
    Last edited by paveld; 08-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Have you tried to connect using EasyDIS? It is a hassle to install and much slower, but you can do a lot with it and it's easier to connect to the different modules without error for some reason. This could have to to with the configuration files that could be hard to sort out in INPA.

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Have you tried to connect using EasyDIS? It is a hassle to install and much slower, but you can do a lot with it and it's easier to connect to the different modules without error for some reason. This could have to to with the configuration files that could be hard to sort out in INPA.
    While installing I have got a problem and stop at 'New virtual machine wizard' window where we have to select a guest operating system I select Windows OS as per the OS that I have but I am unable to go to the next step. Can you help me to troubleshoot the given problem? Thanks in advance!

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast