Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Wow, me and a few others didn't have much luck with accessing nearly as much as you did with that version. (had some success, but not much)
    So you can access the instrument cluster and all that?

I'd have to read back through the whole thread to note if those with success and those that didn't were either US or Europe.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    The first version I make worked on my car as well. There could be at least two things that makes the difference, the minimum logical low level voltage on the modules in the car for the communication to work and the switching resistance in the 4053 circuit. The resistance can vary a lot from circuit to citcuit and is also temperature dependent. It's cold here in Norway, so I will get low switching resistance

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Well I have been having pretty good (consistent) results with the MKII design hot or cold....the tests done on the 1994 325i were done when it was cold out, today I played with my sons 1995 318Ti with good results and it is quite warm out. (will post up some screenshot results and tidbits when I get them organized)

- - - Updated - - -

Some results from our 1995 318Ti testing (M42 engine) using the MKII design

INPA v3.01 Quick Identification Test Results

Analog DME / Engine Values (running)

DIS v44 Short Test - I had to initially choose the 3 Series >E30 option otherwise I would get errors, then from there choose E36 and run the test.

DIS v44 DME Identification

I also added a button and LED to my 20 pin connector for Oil / Inspection reset (worked great on the 95' Ti, need to test others)

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Good work! Nice to have the reset switch as well. You don't actually need the series resistor for the reset switch, it's just there to limit the current if it's connected wrong so nothing will break.
    Temperature should not affect the MKII design, plenty og margins there.

My Cars
    bmw 525tds 1994 sedan
    Hello Guys! I have built ADS-interface fpom post #243 and --- SUCCESS!!!! I finally connect to my E34 1994 with DDE2.1 It's real work!!! I connect throw DIS 44. Inpa 5.0.2 not read, thats I will try install inpa 3 to connect.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318IS
    Hi,
    I have bulit the MKII version, and it's working!!! (Inpa and DIS working.)
    I use one CD4053, four BC547B, one 1n4148, four leds and eight 1Kohm resitor.
    Thank You Guys!!!

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Congratulations, both of you! What car do you have, getto? US or euro? It's fine to be able to make some kind of statistics of what works and what don't.
    Others that try this interface, please post your results and type of car.
    I will let you know when I have some PCB's avaiable for those who have can't make it themself but would like to try it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318IS
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Congratulations, both of you! What car do you have, getto? US or euro? It's fine to be able to make some kind of statistics of what works and what don't.
    Others that try this interface, please post your results and type of car.
    I will let you know when I have some PCB's avaiable for those who have can't make it themself but would like to try it.
    Euro E36 1998 318IS
    Euro E36 1997 318IS
    ABS/ASC, AIRBAG, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,DME,BC,IHKA,ZKE,GR,PDC,EWS are working!
    All moduls working.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    Hi. I want to built the newest, there are so many that it is difficult to choose. Which one is the latest scheme? rev 4 ?
    And what is switching between "DTR=low" i "DTR=high"? Anyone could explain this to me? Is it auto switching line or simply it doesn't matter and scheme will work as it should?

I hope for a quick reply.
    Best regards
    Picia9669

PS. Happy Easter
    Last edited by picia9669; 03-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Either the design in the post at the top of this page (post #243) or the original design from the original post (post #1) will have the same functionality.
    The switching from high to low is automatic, the software triggers it at the serial port which in turn tells the transistors what they need to do. No need to worry about it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    Thanks for reply. I have another question, what about LEDs voltage? It must be 12V, right? What LED colors give for D2, D3, D4, D5?
    If i build HansV - ADS Interface MKII Rev 4 (with LEDs) it will works with E36 95 and E38 95?

Best regards
    Picia9669
    Last edited by picia9669; 03-31-2013 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    These are what I had in mine during testing - http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/72/1-59-179635.pdf
    3.0v 10ma
    They are smaller than they look in my picture in post #243.
    Color doesn't matter, it's your choice. I just bought a variety so it was easy to distinguish/identify the working circuit as I tested it. (different color for different function)

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    I have another question. Can I use resistor 1kohm 1/8 W? Others didn't have in stock ;/

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by picia9669 View Post
    I have another question. Can I use resistor 1kohm 1/8 W? Others didn't have in stock ;/
    Yes. There is not really much current going through this circuit to speak of.
    1/4 watt are just usually the more commonly found size at local stores. 1/8 watt will work just fine.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    Hi again. I build a interface and it works fine with PC Computer with hardware RS-232 (com1), but i have problem with my laptop.
    I bought a ExpressCard to Serial Port adapter which fully supports hardware RS-232 (and it works under DOS, on moschip), it isn't a cheap USB to RS-232 adaper and cheap ExpressCard which emulate RS-232 on USB line.
    I can connect to some modules, but after a moment i get an error.

I use a ADSport tool.

Any solutions? I don't want to take my desktop PC again to garage with all equipment (monitor, keybord etc.)

Best regards
    Picia9669
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 04-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Hi again. I build a interface and it works fine with PC Computer with hardware RS-232 (com1), but i have problem with my laptop.
    I bought a ExpressCard to Serial Port adapter which fully supports hardware RS-232 (and it works under DOS, on moschip), it isn't a cheap USB to RS-232 adaper and cheap ExpressCard which emulate RS-232 on USB line.
    I can connect to some modules, but after a moment i get an error.

I use a ADSport tool.

Any solutions? I don't want to take my desktop PC again to garage with all equipment (monitor, keybord etc.)

Best regards
    Picia9669
    That is the error that you get when INPA doesn't detect a problem with the interface (though there can still be one) while transmitting, yet it received no reply from a module at all.

More information may be needed. Which modules work and which modules don't work?

After connecting, how long does communication continue before you get that error? Are you sure that you are getting some communication at all?

If your setup is able to work at all, it's probably safe to assume that your serial port is not the problem. It seems likely that your interface is to blame, but as I said, it would be better to provide more information.
    Last edited by benemorius; 04-19-2013 at 12:37 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    I can't connect to Airbag, ZKE and some others. I can connect to engine (somtimes i get this error), to Instrument cluster (KOMBI) ( i get error when i want read status option), get this same on air conditioning ( Read Status). Error reading and clearing works normally.
    This happening on laptop (expresscard to RS-232 adapter moschip)

On Destkop PC (it have a hardware COM port RS-232) everything works good, but sometimes i get this error when i connect to engine. I have to see how it works now on desktop. It is possible that something broke with the interface, because before everything works good.

Sorry if my english is bad, i still learning

Best regards
    Picia9669

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I can't connect to Airbag, ZKE and some others. I can connect to engine (somtimes i get this error), to Instrument cluster (KOMBI) ( i get error when i want read status option), get this same on air conditioning ( Read Status). Error reading and clearing works normally.
    This happening on laptop (expresscard to RS-232 adapter moschip)

On Destkop PC (it have a hardware COM port RS-232) everything works good, but sometimes i get this error when i connect to engine. I have to see how it works now on desktop. It is possible that something broke with the interface, because before everything works good.

Sorry if my english is bad, i still learning

Best regards
    Picia9669
    I'm not sure how you can read errors but not read status unless there is a problem with the software setup on your laptop.

But then, the fact that you only sometimes get errors suggests a hardware problem again, presumably with the interface although there could just as well be a fault with the serial port or laptop.

I agree that it is a good idea to try the desktop again to see if anything has changed.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36
    Hi, I have checked it on Desktop PC, and everything works fine, i can connect to anyone module (wchich has a car) without any problem, i tested on my E36 95" (after facelift), and E38 95" (before facelift).

What is wrong with this adapter, it has a own I/O range and it supported DOS system, and it wasn't cheap ;/ (it cost 4x more than cheap ExpressCard RS-232 adapter). I had before a cheap adapter and it was only emulate a com port on ubs line, it doesn't works. After that i bought te better one (more expensive

Maybe the problem is in the configuration of Adapter? I attach a screenshoot of the settings.

Do you have any solutions? Maybe do you have a link to checked (working) version of INPA? I use INPA 5.

I look forward to fast reply

Best regards
    Picia9669
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 04-23-2013 at 07:43 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i
    I just wanted to share with everyone thatI have undertaken the effort of putting the "Almost Free ADS" reader / tool into "Fritzing" format. If you don't know what Fritzing is just google it - it's a free and open source (FOSS) extremely easy to use electronic / circuit design tool for Windows / Mac / Linux from Germany. It prints out - automatically - a bill of materials, a schematic, and the breadboard and PCB options (either order online from FritzingFab in Germany or make your own etched board). It's pretty darn cool, actually. It does require some familiarization, and it doesn't just magically make everything once you prototype something on a board. I have no commercial interest or any sort of vested interest in Fritzing - just my hard drive space and a few neat electronic projects that I've created using through-hole components that my big fingers can handle (no surface mount stuff).

Essentially you breadboard a design on the PC, clean up your schematic, lay out a PCB, and wham, you got the works there free.

As a heads up of what's coming (once I validate that the design does in fact work on my 1993 e34 525i with the appropriate software) I will be posting my results as well as instructions on how I made it work - or not work.

In short, what I have done is I have transposed the original schematic (thank you for the hard work, benemorius!) into Fritzing, breadboarded it (virtually and physically), and then created an open-source PCB layout (or alternatively a Forrest-Mimms/RadioShack breadboard image that you can just wire up and run) that I will be sharing likely through these forums only. I am thinking of creating some extra diode protection of some sort I don't get some wacky current flowing into my PC - and maybe some tweaks as I move through. That being said, with the open source nature of Frtizing and this design, certainly anyone can make improvements and test. My end goal here is to create a microcontroller "interpreter" that will capture, real time, the serial data streams and enable me to "embed" some sort of graphical system (possibly within the OBC area or somewhere else on the dash) with constant temperature, pressure, gauge measurements. I also think that Fritzing - since it works on almost any PC and it's great for anyone experienced or an electronics neophyte - is a great way to communicate electronic designs here on the board. Just an opinion!

I'll post the transposed schematic shortly - and I'm not an electrical engineer (I was an English Lit major in college, actually. Quite possibly the worst thing to major in for someone who enjoys programming and electrical engineering so much) so input as to the accuracy of my "copy" from any experienced hands would be greatly appreciated.

Worth noting is that I'm also working on a more thoroughly developed e34 (specifically BMW 525i) voltage regulator for my vehicle. I just figure that the overpriced Bosch / Hella units when disassembled are probably very simple, and I'd actually like to have a separate microcontroller - such as my AVR chip based homebrew sensor unit - monitor voltage and current in certain areas of the vehicle (such as, say, the coolant, where electrolysis can do damage to aluminum components and other areas where stray current may leak from a timeworn engine harness or a poor connection effected by yours truly.

So when I post my amateur schematic here shortly, please give me some feedback if you see something that looks a little off.

Kind Regards,

Webb Moncure

update: below is the schematic. accidentally had the components highlighted. but it's still pretty clearly read. and i still want to relocate one of the connectors to the other side of the drawing. i was unable to flip it 180. and i left off my ground connection on a connector!
    Last edited by webbmoncure; 04-30-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: adding the schematic
    Webb Moncure
    Automotive Sales Professional & BMW Owner
    Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA

My '93 525i
    featuring original iceland green with a horrid black spray job
    only 203,000 "highway" miles
    doing my best to reclaim a "beat" e34 to stock

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact
    I can confirm with MKII version that works fine with 1998 E36 318 TDS.
    Since it is DDE it cannot read inpa v3.01, but it will works on DIS v44, and tool32.
    Now it start like normal since we lost last key with chip, I have to bypass with ews emulator, and using tool32 to read isn.

My Cars
    1995 E36 318i Sedan
    Hello,

Thanks for circuit diagrams. I made version from post 254 and it works fine with euro 1995 e36 318 (M43 engine). I successfuly connected with ABS(MK4G), airbags module, IHKR climate control system and EWS.

I have a little problem when connecting to engine module - DME 1.7. When in INPA I'm selecting engine type, on next screen appear "Object not found" pop-ups. After closing pop-ups and selecting from menu "errors", "analog values" or "exhaust", everything works fine.

Another thing is that everything works fine until I start the engine. When engine is running I can stil connect without problems to ABS, IHKR and EWS. But when I'm connecting to engine module, every few seconds INPA crashes and after while shows "NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT" message. Like this:

When I click YES, it shows all data, but after few seconds error appears again. It seems that working engine is somehow disturbing transmission. I tried to reduce connection speed in Windows, but without luck. Right now I'm thinking about using shielded cables from diagnostic connector to PCB and from PCB to PC. Maybe my ignition system is making interference with interface. Do you use shielded cables?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I have had similar troubles with my sons 318Ti (M42 engine, which should be pretty much the same files as yours, like either DM172K20.PRG or DM173K20.PRG).
    I have tried several .ipo and .prg files with limited success, still not sure if it's software or hardware related.
    If I get a chance to play with it some more I will update if I come across anything that works better, or at least more consistently.

And no, I don't run shielded cables...have never had a problem on any other cars, don't expect that to be an issue on this one.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 05-08-2013 at 10:01 PM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Just got the new MKII PCB assembled. I will test it when I get the chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Just got the new MKII PCB assembled. I will test it when I get the chance.
    That turned out nice.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast