Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post
    Yep i did that
    Two posts from me one answer, I can't tell what you are answering.

Also maybe do a screen shot of the ADSsetup output so we can see the results?
    Is your INPA set up for COM1?
    Does the laptop have a modem? If so check bios to make sure COM port is COM1 and not another because of modem
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Also you need to run adssetup from the command prompt and look at the output, not double click it.
    yep i did that

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Two posts from me one answer, I can't tell what you are answering.

Also maybe do a screen shot of the ADSsetup output so we can see the results?
    Is your INPA set up for COM1?
    Does the laptop have a modem? If so check bios to make sure COM port is COM1 and not another because of modem

I assume it went correctly, as i first go an directnt.sys error when i started INPA (i think this was the file, not enterily sure).
    And after i ran ADSSETUP+restart, then INPA did not give errors anymore.

In the BIOS and Device Manager COM1 is shown with correct IRQ/address, was first thing i checked.
    I have not checked if the modem is using it but i did not install the modem drivers just in case.

I assume that INPA is communicating with COM1 / serial port correctly otherwise it would not show de black battery dot when i connect 9V to pin 9 of the port.

I cant find any COM setting in EDIABAS.INI or INPA.INI.

If you still want it i can get a screenshot of de ADSSETUP.exe execution.
    Last edited by klaas; 06-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Never assume.
    Hardware modems don't use drivers
    Com port in obd.ini
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Never assume.
    Hardware modems don't use drivers
    Com port in obd.ini
    Dont have an obd.ini in c:\ediabas\bin
    I think because i installed with ADS.
    Saw some people install with OBD and then switch to ADS later, maybe only then you get the obd.ini?

Got 1 com port reported in device manager COM1 the other port is the LPT1 printer port
    The modem device without drivers in device manager reports that its using the high definition audio bus

Bios reports 4 com ports:
    Com1 at 3F8H / IRQ 4
    Default setting is Com 1

Not sure how to check if the modem is using a com port. Will google tomorrow, gotta go
    Last edited by klaas; 06-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    "I think" is another way of assuming. There is an obd.ini
    You have not answered the basic wiring check for battery

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    "I think" is another way of assuming. There is an obd.ini
    You have not answered the basic wiring check for battery
    Ok, yes, youre questions call for a lot of checking and i have no time anymore today, will do it as soon as i have time.
    Last edited by klaas; 06-12-2018 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    When you assume something that you can check and thereby remove the assumption there is no need to make the assumption.

If there is no fuel in your car, assuming there is fuel, and then based on that no amount of checking other things will solve the problem

My Cars
    e36
    Hallo, can anybody send me the gerberfiles for the mk2 ads? Thx

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Hi E36328Coupe,

As you requested in the PM here some pictures of my stripboard and connectors:

Attachment 631486
    Attachment 631487
    On the left the board in front of a lamp so its easier to see the cutouts and also if i did not accidentally bridged the lines on the stripboard. There are 3 possible bridger visible but these are ok, if i hold the board a bit more diagonal its visible there are no bridges.
    Attachment 631488
    I included the male/female serial diagram as it seems that the pinouts of the female connector are opposite.
    I have connected the wires of the board to the pinouts numbers as the female serial diagram describes instead of the male.
    So it might be possible i have connected the wires wrong.
    Attachment 631489
    On the right side the wirecolors overlayed on a photo the actual obd port of my car

I have the following symptoms:
    - Only LLine (yellow) LED ever comes on (also without laptop disconnected)
    - When i connect the laptop i get no battery dot, and when i turn on ignition i get no ignition dot
    - The LLine LED goes on and off twice when i try to connect to Engine (DME 3.31 M50 2.5 I), same happens when i try to access the instrument cluster or anything at all.
    - Get an error: IFH-00010 DATATRANSMISSION TO CONTROLUNIT DISTURBED, which also happens when laptop is not connected to car, so this is a very generic error and it seems to me there has no data been sent or received at all.
    - I have put a 9V battery on the serial port of my laptop: + connected to pin 9/RI, - connected to pin5/Ground and then both the battery and ignition dots go ON/black in INPA. Which leads me to believe my INPA with ADS correctly setup and i have no missing pin 9 (reported for Dell D610 or D600 i think, read this somewhere).
    Also the LLine led starting to turn on and off lead me to believe INPA can communicate through the serial connector.
    - I think i might have attached the serial wires exactly the opposite to the board and i think this is why the battery dot is not turning on in INPA. This is due to that fact that i followed the female pinout, can you confirm this?
    - I think i then still will have a problem because the green Kline led should come on when i connect the obd connector without the laptop attached as you showed in the previous post. Can you check my obd port wiring and stripboard for any errors? I have checked that all pins of the serial and obd connector give current to the strip board and i have also checked that all resistors and transistors are making contact with the copper on the stripboard. I have also checked for any short circuits between the copper on the stripboard and there seem to be none.

My INPA installation is as follows:

- INPA version: insprog.exe reports 4.4.7 , the INPA.ini file says version 3.02 (so i think this is inpa 4.4.7)
    - EDIABAS 6.4.3
    - Harddisk formatted (full) and fresh installation of Windows XP SP3 32Bit
    - Fresh installation of INPA and EDIABAS
    - Laptop: Dell D430 with docking station that has serial port
    - This whole setup is never used on anything else before, just this board i made

Installation:
    - execute instprog.exe
    - Installed with rectification program UK and selected ADS (not OBD), and installed just EDIABAS and INPA
    - Set the environment variable PATH: addes C:\EDIABAS\BIN
    - restarted laptop
    - Executed ADSSETUP.exe and restarted again
    - EDIABAS.INI shows: "Interface = ADS"

So in short, i think i have a serial wires in exact opposite because i used the female pinout
    I have the feeling something else is wrong as the Kline led instead of the LLine LEd is lighting up when connecting the board without the laptop connected.
    Though this might be because my ECU/car hardware is in some other state as yours. Also maybe it could be because i have a european E36 325I from 1994?

regards,
    Klaas
    UPDATE:

The above circuit works and is correct except for the obd connector wiring.

Made a stupid mistake: I soldered the wiring mirrored on the back of the OBD connector.

This is how the wires should be on the female 20pin OBD port of the car, which is equivalent to the backside of male OBD connector which is attached to the circuit:

ADS_CORRECT_port_andbacksideofobdconnector.JPG

I was able to read out error memory of my Instrument Cluster and activate the self test.
    Also have read out the Airbag.

I have by far not tested everything, it seems i cannot connect to my ECU.
    My car is 325i from March 1994 which has EWSI, NOT EWSII.
    I think this is the problem, it seems from other forums that INPA 4.4.7 only has files for the DME 3.3.1 with EWSII

It seems that 3 or 4 M50 Ecu's:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...DME-Repair.htm

M50/B25
    thru 8/91 : Bosch Motronic M3.1
    9/91-8/92 : Bosch Motronic M3.1

M50tu/B25
    9/92-12/94: Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 <---MINE
    1/95--> : Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

Can somebody verify only the last one is possible to read in INPA 4.47 (selecting DME 3.3.1 in INPA)
    Or is there a solution for this? Cant find anything.

I read on other forums they use DIS for reading out the engine on older models.

thanks!

UPDATE:
    also went trough the identification quick test: no errors, gave me 3 control units (first only 1): BAE/ABSMK4/ZKE4
    error memory quick test: got an error and it stoppe with a red screen: FS_LESEN: Ediabas-fehlernr: 0 Satze: 6
    I can read the error memory of the dashboard.

Im having the feeling i would be better of with an INPA version around 94/95

Also have tried to detect the ECU with this tool (which i ran through virustotal and my virus scanner first), could not find it either:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ime-graph-view

UPDATE: PLEASE REFER TO POST #575 for fritzing screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by klaas; 07-18-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Extra pictures

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    I have by far not tested everything, it seems i cannot connect to my ECU.
    My car is 325i from March 1994 which has EWSI, NOT EWSII.
    I think this is the problem, it seems from other forums that INPA 4.4.7 only has files for the DME 3.3.1 with EWSII

It seems that 3 or 4 M50 Ecu's:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...DME-Repair.htm

M50/B25
    thru 8/91 : Bosch Motronic M3.1
    9/91-8/92 : Bosch Motronic M3.1

M50tu/B25
    9/92-12/94: Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 <---MINE
    1/95--> : Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

Can somebody verify only the last one is possible to read in INPA 4.47 (selecting DME 3.3.1 in INPA)
    Or is there a solution for this? Cant find anything.
    Your 325 E36 ECU can certainly be read, regardless of the information to the contrary in this thread, by using the few files in Mistreku.zipo

- - - Updated - - -

One place you will find it is post 50 here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...41/index5.html
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-15-2018 at 05:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    I soldered the wiring mirrored on the back of the OBD connector.
    This can be avoided by...……….

1.JPG

1) Try t get one labelled
    2) KISS principle. Cut the 16 pin connector off, then strip away the insulation and leave ALL the wires it comes with connected, then you only have to add the pin 16 wire (IIRC without looking) This puts the box near the 20pin but you just use a long serial lead and saved a load of effort.

I do have a well worked out easy way to do this but if you are building your own I guess that would be unnecessary info..
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    This can be avoided by...……….

1.JPG

1) Try t get one labelled
    2) KISS principle. Cut the 16 pin connector off, then strip away the insulation and leave ALL the wires it comes with connected, then you only have to add the pin 16 wire (IIRC without looking) This puts the box near the 20pin but you just use a long serial lead and saved a load of effort.

I do have a well worked out easy way to do this but if you are building your own I guess that would be unnecessary info..
    Well, your connector seems obviously better then mine, most wires had the same color on mine, actually, also no pin numbers on the back. My problem was that i tried to hurry that part.

Im more like a keep it simple enough person. I wanted to provision for a service reset button.
    And i dont have a garage and wanted a long cable and close the hood so i dont draw a lot of attention in the quite-busy-street i have it parked.

That leaves the problem, it seems i cannot close the hood with the connector in.. also not with that position of the hood where its still a bit open.
    Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Your 325 E36 ECU can certainly be read, regardless of the information to the contrary in this thread, by using the few files in Mistreku.zipo

- - - Updated - - -

One place you will find it is post 50 here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...41/index5.html
    I had just found that one also, it bypasses the EWS check right?
    I downloaded it here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/325i...-t6003553.html
    3rd answer
    Last edited by klaas; 06-15-2018 at 07:05 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Well, your connector seems obviously better then mine, most wires had the same color on mine. My problem was that i tried to hurry that part.

I wanted to provision for a service light reset button.
    You can still so this

That leaves the problem, it seems i cannot close the hood with the connector in.. also not with that position of the hood where its still a bit open.
    Any ideas?
    Not a problem for me, bonnet closes with the connector plugged in and the tic tac box with the board in under the bonnet. I did draw a 3dPrintable strip board and socket case but I still eat tic tacs so KISS principle

I had just found that one also, it bypasses the EWS check right?
    I downloaded it here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/325i...-t6003553.html
    3rd answer
    (because there is no thumbs up)
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-15-2018 at 06:56 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    You can still so this

Not a problem for me, bonnet closes with the connector plugged in and the tic tac box with the board in under the bonnet. I did draw a 3dPrintable strip board and socket case but I still eat tic tacs so KISS principle

(because there is no thumbs up)
    Haha, i dont eat tic tac's .. but i have put it in a tic tac box and realized later that you did that too. I before thought, what a coincidence that it fits so exact. I threw away all the tic tac's

When i close the bonnet i see the cable out of the connector being compressed and i still have to drop it like an inch or two further. So im afraid to break something.

Can you close the bonnet with the big obd 20 pin connector like this (which i have) ?:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pin-to-O...8AAOSwiYlZ-YHM
    Last edited by klaas; 06-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Can you close the bonnet with the big obd 20 pin connector like this (which i have) ?:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pin-to-O...8AAOSwiYlZ-YHM
    Yep. I guess you could cut down or remove the the 20 pin case and just pot it in silicone for protection

So, my way of building it is easy enough to follow isn't it? I didn't know why you numbered the A-Z though, I figured A,6 is specific and 1,6 is ambiguous, for example.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-15-2018 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Yep. I guess you could cut down or remove the the 20 pin case and just pot it in silicone for protection

So, my way of building it is easy enough to follow isn't it? I didn't know why you numbered the A-Z though, I figured A,6 is specific and 1,6 is ambiguous, for example.
    Hmm.. crap, i finished the connector quite nice now.

Will add more pictures of the whole thing including the fritzing design when i got the DME working too.

I made your board in Fritzing and then layed out the schema in generated over the one from post #1 to be sure i have it right.

Thats also the reason its numbered 1,6 (for example), it actually starts from 0.. just like when you hover over it in fritzing. Seemed easy when i was soldering it.
    I guess you mean the row/column numbering right?

Yep... it was easy to follow and your help afterwards great. I followed your way because it seemed the most clear to me from start to finish and the least error-prone.
    Last edited by klaas; 06-15-2018 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ Ahh I understand, but it looks like you took a lot of effort to be sure, when I had made 4 from those plans, and in fact forgotten how I came up with them. The idea being that someone that can solder can make one of these with no understanding of how it works and not have to work out how to make the diagram into a board, just put the component legs in the same places and same track cuts and it will work. Simple.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    ^ Ahh I understand, but it looks like you took a lot of effort to be sure, when I had made 4 from those plans, and in fact forgotten how I came up with them. The idea being that someone that can solder can make one of these with no understanding of how it works and not have to work out how to make the diagram into a board, just put the component legs in the same places and same track cuts and it will work. Simple.
    Yeah, it took a lot of effort so i dont fry my ECU, and then soldered the cables mirrored
    So now i know that it doesnt fry easily. Also read this back in the thread somewhere that most likely all those pins are protected.

But ive learned a lot about electronics, also tried to understand the circuit and what transistors exactly do (in addition to just being a switch).

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    Hey Guys, I'm From Brazil and I made the ADS interface based on HansV SMD squematics, i made it like the squematics, but i cannot connect to my car modules, (its a 318IS E36 1993), i tried to edit ediabas.ini to ADS, and OBD.ini to ADS with comport 1, but the only thing that i achieved was to see the black dots on battery and ignition, anything different than that, I always receive the same error, "IFH0003 communication with interface disturbed", in the inpa and in the tool32, i receive the same error, now I'm in doubt, if I made something wrong in my interface, or still a software config issue, anyone have any suggestions to me???? I'm using the Ediabas 6.4.7 and inpa 5, running on win XP 32bit in a notebook without serial port, so I'm using a USB-Serial Adapter, this adapter works with another interfaces that I have, so I think its not because the adapter that I'm having this problem. I've tried every module and nothing occurs, just the same error, I need to use Inpa to see whats happening with my cluster, because my RPM needle dont pass 4k rpm, but my engine is already ate 6k rpm. If Anyone can help me, I appreciate that.

thanks in advance.

PS:sorry for my bad english

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ As soon as you said USB to serial adapter it all went horribly wrong. Find another computer with serial, even if you carry a desktop outside to do so.

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    that's will be a problem, i will try to find another computer with serial port, because all of my computer, even my desktop doesnt have one, but there is no one who made it work with USB-serial adapter???? because in this thread some posts behind, someone said that it worked with serial adapter, but didnt said how it worked

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    TO be fair the black dots are a good sign but so basic I do not know if they would give any confidence this can be sorted out.
    Some laptop docking stations have serial

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    probably it will be more a hardware issue than software, but i will try another test and of course another computer with com port, or a pcmcia card for my notebook, and see whats happens, if i managed to work this interface i will post here, and thanks for the reply

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    TRY with a proper serial port so the interface gets a fair test before trying other less reliable serial port methods otherwise you won't know what is the problem.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast