Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi,ok first i will get it to run.than i think about make the modifed on.

i read all posts in this thread but i read nothing of an driver(software) for the ads interfaces.with commercial ads/obd1 tools there is mostly a "ads driver" on a cd.

do i need such a driver?when yes where can i get it?
    or can you tell me how he is called?
    greeting

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by v2x View Post
    hi,ok first i will get it to run.than i think about make the modifed on.
    If you are referring to the CD4053 design...it will not work 100% without the modification that was drawn in.

do i need such a driver?
    No ADS driver needed, it is all included when you install INPA.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi,what for an com-cabel (between pc and interface) in need? it gives two differnt cabels.1:1 symetric and asymetric cabels (null-modem).

Where can I connect the LED's (on the first picture to see)?
    can someone show that on the schematic?
    greetings

edit:
    iīve got the parts today,but there was only replacement types of the transistors.the electrican says it should work.
    i got the transistors,resistors, rs232 connectors, but he sold me the false seriel(com)cabel i think.the wires are not 1:1.so i'll have to change it.

i opend the connectors and the pins are :

1=4 1-to-6 are bridged
    2=3
    7=8
    9 is empty
    Last edited by v2x; 02-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M42 e30 touring
    Hello!

Found this great thread while searching for diagnostic equipment for my 1995 e36 M42. It hasn't got the 17pin in the round connector so I presume it's the ADS interface I need.

There are different schematics in this topic. I understand that there are issues with some of the upgraded/simplified ones, that different voltage levels are present on different DME's and they don't work on all ADS required e36 BMW's.

Which schematic works without problems? The 1st one?

And another question about connecting the interface to laptop(In my case - Lenovo B560)
    Problem is that there is no serial port, of course...
    And it doesn't have the PCMCIA slot either.
    Seems that there are no options left.

I understand that the USB-SERIAL adapter doesn't work on this interface. Why?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi i need help to find the right rs232 (serial) cabel.i finished the interface but which cabel i need? it gives many different cabels.serial standart - null modem -loopback ect.
    http : // logmett. com /index .php?/ quick-tips /rs232- cable- pinouts . html
    scroll down to db 9.i will not try it with the false cabel.
    greeting

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    You just need a straight through / standard 1:1 cable.
    In other words...pin 1 is 1, pin 2 is 2, pin 3 is 3, pin 4 is 4, etc, etc.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    many thanks,now i just must change the pins from my cabel.
    oh man i need a breadboard ;-) i made the interface only with cabels and the parts.
    it looks a bit venturesome,but i checked the connecions and parts many times it sould work.i hope my inpa setup is correct.itīs installed but not tested.
    greeting

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    thanks,to connect the ledīs i only must connect a wire form
    ignition to- led to - mass.so when ignition ist on the led also.
    the same with 12v,and the 3 led? on txd?the cabel is ready;-)
    can i wreck anything when anything should wrong in the circuit?

hi,so battery and ignition points are on :-)
    but i get ifh003 fail...is this a problem with the interface or with the software?
    greeting
    Last edited by v2x; 02-17-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisons View Post
    Hello!

Found this great thread while searching for diagnostic equipment for my 1995 e36 M42. It hasn't got the 17pin in the round connector so I presume it's the ADS interface I need.

There are different schematics in this topic. I understand that there are issues with some of the upgraded/simplified ones, that different voltage levels are present on different DME's and they don't work on all ADS required e36 BMW's.

Which schematic works without problems? The 1st one?

And another question about connecting the interface to laptop(In my case - Lenovo B560)
    Problem is that there is no serial port, of course...
    And it doesn't have the PCMCIA slot either.
    Seems that there are no options left.

I understand that the USB-SERIAL adapter doesn't work on this interface. Why?
    If you are referring to the connector under the hood, that's a 20-pin connector, and yeah, you get ADS from there.

The first schematic is the one I got working on my car. The revised 4053-based schematics gave me access to several modules on the car, but not to the DME. I recommend building the OP's (post #1) schematic, despite being slightly more parts, as it works without a hitch for me.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by dataxpress View Post
    The revised 4053-based schematics gave me access to several modules on the car, but not to the DME.
    I just finished building/testing this version....DME was indeed flakey at best with INPA, but worked perfect with DIS v44. (haven't tried DIS v57 yet)

but i get ifh003 fail...is this a problem with the interface or with the software?
    Did you run the ADSSETUP.exe from the EDIABAS folder?
    Make sure your serial port is COM1 and all that too.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 02-17-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    Did you run the ADSSETUP.exe from the EDIABAS folder?
    Make sure your serial port is COM1 and all that too.
    hi,yes com is com-port1.ediabas ini. is on ads.
    i donīt know is adssetup.exe workīs.when i run adssetup.exe it appears a black screen for ~2sec. is that ok?can i get only the adssetup.exe file somewhere online to download?greeting

My Cars
    1994 BMW 316i Compact
    hi guys. new member here
    I wanted to give you my feedback and also my issues so far with the original schematic that I built for my 316i E36.
    It works perfectly with INPA, it recognizes power (plugged in 20 pin) and ignition, i can get into almost anything that is present in my car (like for example the abs which I couldn't access with an USB-Serial ODBII interface) but I can't get into the Instrument Cluster or the DME which is the main reason I built this ADS interface. As far as I know from research, since mine is a Compact it definitely has the M43 engine with Bosch 1.7 DME. I tested the interface late last night when I finished it and right now I can't remember exactly what the error was. After a round of researching today I found that DME access is not always guaranteed with INPA even if you are on ADS on the E36 and that I should try with tool32, with DIS (it's a bit complicated so I'll have to look into it) or another thing that I wondered about is if my INPA install is missing legacy/older files the E36 needs so I got some IPO's and other E36 things required and the next time I get to try again, I will post here. Until then, does anyone has any ideas/suggestions regarding this DMA access in INPA ?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi,i think i need to re install ediabas/inpa but with another software.but where i can get it?anyone have a link to working inpa sw?i get ediabs-error:apiCheckJobStatus:error#95sys-0005.i followed the error-checklist but it dont work.i think is a bad software i have.or anyone can help with teamviewer???
    greetings

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I rebuilt HansV's CD4053 design with benemorius's modification and have finally had some great success with it.
    Using 2n3904 transistors and a 1n4001 diode in place of the one transistor that was changed.
    DIS is accessing a ton of stuff, INPA is accessing the majority of modules...including the DME on our 94' 325i (DME3.3.1).
    I've been testing on two different cars, a 95' Ti and a 94' 325i. Still gotta spend a bit more time as I seem to have some INPA file issues I'm trying to sort. (this was the main trouble with accessing the 94's DME)
    I started to compile a list of modules I could access with both DI and INPA on both cars, I'll try to dig my notes up and do some double checking before I post a list or anything.

I also tried my hand at some schematics and board layout....but I would hope someone with better skills could do a nicer job. Especially the board layout. I'd really like to get it arranged so that there was only a single trace layer but still in a compact space. (I made mine to fit in and OBD housing, not the bigger 20 pin housing)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi,i have run the ads-setup.but now i get another error.
    i looked i the faq but this error is not there...
    when i try to read with inpa i get "SYS-0012 Identification Error" after that i get sys-0005.i use inpa 5.0.2.
    which version are u use?i think anything in the software is wrong or missing.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    There are a lot of bad v5.0.2 installs out there and even updating to v5.0.2 can screw things up a bit. (missing or wrong variant of files, etc)

Start with a clean install of v3.01...it's really all you should need for the older cars anyways.
    (can always update later once you get the hang of it all)

If you don't mind torrents - http://kat.ph/inpa-6-4-3-full-t6966262.html
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 02-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    hi,sorry but i canīt download from this link.i only get a 280kb binaryfile.so maybe u have another link for me?i think i need ea80x and i have ea90x now and that is the problem,the software is to new for my old car ;-)
    greeting

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    The EA80x is the v3.01
    The EA90x is suppose to be used after installing 80x, but can be problematic, been awhile since I used that particular setup.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328i Coupe
    oh,i have only ea90x.so i donīt find a link to download a v3.01.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    Great work!
    For my 4053 design I did not realize that the ON resistance was so high, and it did not cause problems on my car.
    I will make a revised layout for the interface and shear with anyone that is interested. It's only 10$ for 10 boards from Imall and if someone in the US will help and sell PCBs and parts it would be great. Norway is no good with high shipping costs to the rest of the world. I will also try to add the board as an open PCB on imall so it's posible to by just one.
    For some reason I stopped getting notifications from this thread or I would have one this already.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    What signals do you want LED's on? K-line, L-line and DTR? It should work fine to just add a LED in series with the pull-up resistors for these signals. The "high" voltage could drop 1.5-2V but that should not be a problem. But I quess the equipment in the car also have pull-ups. Have anyone tested LED's connected like this?
    I do not think there is need to have leds on RXD and TDX when the traffic on K/L-line is monitored. It will just be the same signals.
    I will try to make the board available on imall. I do not know how this works, but I have contacted them and asked.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    What signals do you want LED's on? K-line, L-line and DTR?
    About all I could see possibly having LED's on -
    K-Line
    L-Line
    DTR
    Power (+12v)
    Ignition

I personally have not tried any LED's anywhere as that was not a main concern of mine, but it could be a "neat" feature once all assembled.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I have updated the schematics with separate transistors on the K/L lines and LED's. I added LED's on K-Line, L-Line, DTR an ignition, but dropped the 12V power. The power will not give you much usefull information, but is easy to add for those who think they need it.
    The new PCB is almost finished, but it would be helpfull if more of you could test this updated circuit with LED's to make sure it works on more than one car.

Edit:
    If there is any interest I could put togeather a kit with PCB and parts needed to build this board when it's tested properly. It will be about 15-20$ with shipping worldwide. Then you only would need a 20-pin Pacman connector and a 9-pin DSUB cable to build a complete diagnistic interface.
    If anyone in the US could sell this it would be even chaper. I only would like others to be able to make a cheap ADS interface. I will still try to make the PCB awailable on imall.

Edit 2:
    I have corrected an error on the schmatic. Pin 10 on 4053 should be connected to the K-line with R3, not togeather with pin 12.

There is no need for the LED's to make the interface work. They can be left out and R2, R3, R4 and R6 connected directly to 12V to make the ciruit more simple to build.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HansV; 03-01-2013 at 04:22 AM.

My Cars
    1996 316 Compact
    I can post the gerber files for the PCB when they are finished, no problem.
    You can get the 20-pin connector on ebay for 5$, just search for "bmw 20pin"

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Thx

expect a final result .. I want to thank you greatly for the effort

I want to try the BMW 318i .1994 .. scheme to use?

My English is not so good
    Last edited by cristichd; 02-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast