Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducka View Post
    that's will be a problem, i will try to find another computer with serial port, because all of my computer, even my desktop doesnt have one, but there is no one who made it work with USB-serial adapter???? because in this thread some posts behind, someone said that it worked with serial adapter, but didnt said how it worked

Some motherboards have a serial port header on the motherboard, then you only need a cable that fits it.. check the manual of the motherboard

My Cars
    e36 325i
    How to add profiles to ncs expert ,my inpa work but ncs no profiles

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    This is not the correct place to ask. However, http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/3...th-ncs-expert/
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post
    Some motherboards have a serial port header on the motherboard, then you only need a cable that fits it.. check the manual of the motherboard
    updating you guys about that, i found a com port on my desktop PC, it just needed to put the connector on it, so i did that, and now inpa work, ncs expert read the car data, the only problem that i have now, is i cant write back in my kombi module, ncs expert show me an error when i try to write, its IFH0010, interface/ecu disturbed, its only happen when i try to write my new config to my kombi, any of you has experienced that before????? any suggestions???, im running on win XP in a VM, com port 1, baud rate 9600, buffer fifo activated and set to 8 for receive and send

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Does the kombi show PPP momentarily on the service indicator?
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    yes, the cluster show ppp in the service indicator, and then i have that error message, and the cluster reboot with no changes at all, I'm suspecting that my cluster is "dying", and i will need a new one, because my air con I flashed without any troubles, and just the kombi I can't write to it, just read from it

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Mine shows PPP and then disconnects but takes the coding
    Check your profiles
    Then clear out the temporary files for trc and man and read config again with the reading profile whatever one it is you use

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    I will try again, will clear all temporary files, and try again, i'm using expertmode as profile, mine didnt changed a thing, the cluster shows PPP, and then the NCS shows me that error IFH0010 interface/ecu disturbed, and the cluster reboot, with nothing changed, because my cluster is set to show in miles, but I'm trying to change to kilometers and other things like RPM scale, engine code, things like that, and that didnt changed after i tried to code with ncs, I'm trying to do that, coz' my cluster is set for a 6 cylinder engine, and my car is a 4 cylinder, because that my RPM needle doesnt work right

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducka View Post
    i'm using expertmode as profile,
    Read post 567.
    You interface is clearly working correctly so maybe try another thread ?

My Cars
    bmw 318is coupe 1993
    ok, thank you, i will certainly read and try another thread, and thanks for your help man.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    UPDATE:

The above circuit works and is correct except for the obd connector wiring.

Made a stupid mistake: I soldered the wiring mirrored on the back of the OBD connector.

This is how the wires should be on the female 20pin OBD port of the car, which is equivalent to the backside of male OBD connector which is attached to the circuit:

Attachment 631699

I was able to read out error memory of my Instrument Cluster and activate the self test.
    Also have read out the Airbag.

I have by far not tested everything, it seems i cannot connect to my ECU.
    My car is 325i from March 1994 which has EWSI, NOT EWSII.
    I think this is the problem, it seems from other forums that INPA 4.4.7 only has files for the DME 3.3.1 with EWSII

It seems that 3 or 4 M50 Ecu's:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...DME-Repair.htm

M50/B25
    thru 8/91 : Bosch Motronic M3.1
    9/91-8/92 : Bosch Motronic M3.1

M50tu/B25
    9/92-12/94: Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 <---MINE
    1/95--> : Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

Can somebody verify only the last one is possible to read in INPA 4.47 (selecting DME 3.3.1 in INPA)
    Or is there a solution for this? Cant find anything.

I read on other forums they use DIS for reading out the engine on older models.

thanks!

UPDATE:
    also went trough the identification quick test: no errors, gave me 3 control units (first only 1): BAE/ABSMK4/ZKE4
    error memory quick test: got an error and it stoppe with a red screen: FS_LESEN: Ediabas-fehlernr: 0 Satze: 6
    I can read the error memory of the dashboard.

Im having the feeling i would be better of with an INPA version around 94/95

Also have tried to detect the ECU with this tool (which i ran through virustotal and my virus scanner first), could not find it either:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ime-graph-view

UPDATE:

Sorry that this is a reply instead of an update, i removed the pics cos 1 was wrong and after that they remained as attachments and i could upload them anymore.

Not sure how to upload the Fritzing .fzz files. Please PM me if you want them.

Here some screenshots.

Stripboard, some components have been layed out a bit weird (but connected correctly) so the cutouts are visible, refer to the actual photos of stripboard for how they can be actually layed out:

stripboard.JPG

Schema verified with the schema made by benemorius, to be 1000% sure the stripboard is correct:

schema.JPG
    Cutouts:

stripboard_final_cutouts_topside.jpg

Cutouts with the components (the obd wire colors are incorrect for R45 here, its an older screenshot):

stripboard_final_zoomedparts.jpg
    Many thanks to E36328Coupe who made this easy, i hope to make it extremely easy: print this and solder it exactly the same.stripboard_final_zoomedparts.jpg

UPDATE: PLEASE REFER TO POST #549 for more information and actual pictures of the board. Sorry this became such a mess, no time to correct it.
    Last edited by klaas; 07-18-2018 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    It's a good effort dude but for me Post 508 with coloured legs and values on looks simpler.

Next installment a bench flasher and bench diagnostics board for those that want to diagnose and flash indoors

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Hi,

First, thank you to the original poster and all the members involved in the development of new circuits and troubleshooting.

While I did read the entire thread, it's been really hard to draw conclusions on how to proceed with my car ('93 Euro 325i | M50B25TU | DME 3.3.1). This being said, please help me clearing these doubts:

1. It is my understanding that the circuit from the opening post has a high success rate. I see however that pin 17 is referenced on the schematic but my car's 20-pin round connector doesn't have such pin. Using pin 20 is enough?

2. The correct interface for my case is ADS. For that I must install INPA V3 with that parameter in mind and then moify an INI file. Is this statement enough softwarewise?

Thank you.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    1. Yes.. pin 20 is definitely enough

2. I dont know why people are messing around with INI files, all i did to make it work was:

a- execute instprog.exe
    b- Installed with rectification program UK and selected ADS (not OBD), and installed just EDIABAS and INPA
    c- Set the environment variable PATH: addes C:\EDIABAS\BIN
    d- restarted laptop
    e- Executed ADSSETUP.exe and restarted again

This is just for verficiation, but if you select "ADS" at step b, then it will show this:

- EDIABAS.INI shows: "Interface = ADS"

It seems some people install with OBD and then edit the ini file so they also have OBD support in their installation.

Also, everybody seems to call it INPA V3, but its INPA 4.4.7... This is, i think, because the INPA.ini file shows that. But the setup program has its own ini file with version 4.4.7 in it.
    Im pretty sure that BMW just forgot to update the INPA.ini file and just updated the installation ini file when releasing a n

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ A lot of people start with OBD because they install and use a 16pin KKL / VAGCOM / OBDII with 20 pin adapter and then switch to ADS when something ADS breaks

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Hi Guys,

I got around to experimenting with INPA also because i got a new battery for it.

I found some problems:

- I dont have the engine roughness or #analog values with engine roughness in the INPA interface (engine->read status->..nothing. Could it be that its not in the mistreku/FAL mod or is the INPA version to low (4.4.7) or not compatible with my car?

- With the engine off the engine analog values are fast(ok enough), with the engine on i get a lot of timeouts, a lot of the time i dont get the value, i press 'continu script processing->yes' and it gets a 0 and tries the next one. It seems that this gets worse when i rev higher but i could be wrong. Could it be interference from the engine? Sounds like a strange explanation. Anyway, the instrument cluster status reads fine with a running engine. Otherwise maybe change the baud rate? This would not explain why its faster with engine off. It seems to especially be slow on the adaptation values+engine running.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Hello everyone,

I successfully built the almost free ADS interface and installed INPA V5.0.2 on a Windows XP with a real serial port. My car has a DME 3.3.1 and INPA couldn't connect to it since it was expecting DM331K20 but the detected control unit is DME331. I searched a bit and found a DME331.prg file; I copied it to EDIABAS\ECU folder but still, INPA expects to see DM331K20. At least I'm able to read fault codes with Tool32, so I think I went through the installation correctly. That was very useful but I really need to see live sensor information from the engine in order to diagnose improper engine operation. I've tried installing and uninstalling the whole thing but no success.

I kindly ask for your input on this issue.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF434 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I successfully built the almost free ADS interface and installed INPA V5.0.2 on a Windows XP with a real serial port. My car has a DME 3.3.1 and INPA couldn't connect to it since it was expecting DM331K20 but the detected control unit is DME331. I searched a bit and found a DME331.prg file; I copied it to EDIABAS\ECU folder but still, INPA expects to see DM331K20. At least I'm able to read fault codes with Tool32, so I think I went through the installation correctly. That was very useful but I really need to see live sensor information from the engine in order to diagnose improper engine operation. I've tried installing and uninstalling the whole thing but no success.

I kindly ask for your input on this issue.

Thanks!
    There should be 2 files, you have to give them the same name as the DM331... files already there. So first rename those to something like DME331_WITHAWS

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    [QUOTE=klaas;30128037]... Could it be that its not in the mistreku/FAL mod or is the INPA version to low (4.4.7) or not compatible with my car?..

Curious, what mod is this?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    There should be 2 files, you have to give them the same name as the DM331... files already there. So first rename those to something like DME331_WITHAWS
    klaas,

On the EDIABAS\Ecu folder one can find DM331K20.PRG after clean installation and I see a DME331.IPO in the EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT folder.

Should I copy the DME331.PRG of a previous post to the EDIABAS\Ecu folder and rename the DM331K20.PRG to DME331_WITHAWS.PRG?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TRF434; 11-15-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    [QUOTE=MParallel;30145842]
    ... Could it be that its not in the mistreku/FAL mod or is the INPA version to low (4.4.7) or not compatible with my car?..

Curious, what mod is this?
    It is a mod made by FAL for mistreku that bypasses the EWS check for the 3.3.1 DME in version 4.4.7. This INPA version can only read DME of cars with EWS and it wont continu to the engine menu if the car has no EWS. Probably FAL ripped the code out that checks for EWS presence

Quote Originally Posted by TRF434 View Post
    klaas,

On the EDIABAS\Ecu folder one can find DM331K20.PRG after clean installation and I see a DME331.IPO in the EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT folder.

Should I copy the DME331.PRG of a previous post to the EDIABAS\Ecu folder and rename the DM331K20.PRG to DME331_WITHAWS.PRG?

Thanks.

See screenshot of this post made by FAL to mistreku:

Attachment 640452
    https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...41/index5.html

You should, after clean installation (i have no access to my laptop with INPA but i believe it was like this):

- Rename existing SGDAT\DM331K20.PRG ---> SGDAT\DM331K20_WITHAWS.PRG
    EDIT:
    WRONG- Copy mistreku DME331.PRG -> SGDAT\DM331K20.PRG (rename it to this after copy)
    RIGHT Copy mistreku DME331.PRG -> SGDAT\DM331.PRG

- Rename existing \Ecu\DME331.IPO ---> \Ecu\DME331_WITHAWS.IPO
    - Copy mistreku DME331.IPO --> \Ecu\DME331.IPO (same name)

It now picks up these files instead of the AWS ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by klaas; 02-24-2019 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ^^
    Thanks. Maybe that explains why I couldn’t get into the DME of a 1993 E36.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    ^^
    Thanks. Maybe that explains why I couldn’t get into the DME of a 1993 E36.
    Not maybe, for sure!

Everything not EWSII will not connect i believe (normal EWS is more simple and i think it doesnt pass some security token/is integrated with a lot of things like EWSII), see this for the years:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-faq-ews

OBC Immobilizer, many 87-92 = the OBC and DME are linked. If the OBC code was entered (or the OBC relay failed) power to the DME was stopped (no ignition). Depending on your project and the level of functionality you plan to retain, the OBC and OBC relay may remain in the car and could lead to no-start problems if not wired correctly.

EWS, E36 9/93-12/93 = links the door lock switch to the DME and OBC. If the door was locked with the key (or factory alarm) the car will not start without the doors unlocked with the factory key or entering the code into the OBC. In other words, you can’t smash the window and hot wire the car because the DME has killed the ignition and fuel systems.

EWS-I, E36 1/94-12/94 = same as above but added a starter immobilization relay and transmission position switch.
    In either of the above systems the DME is passive. It only receives signals from sensors and modules. So the DME is not as tied into the body electronics as much as EWS-II.

EWS-II, E36 1/95-8/96 = similar to the above but with an electronic key, EWS module (“brain”), and the DME all linked together. The same door lock logic remains. All systems for starting the engine are run through the EWS module (starter relay, starter power, fuel, ignition). The key sends a signal to the EWS module and the module asks for a matching signal from the DME. If the two signals don’t match the EWS module will not start the car. The EWS module also checks for OBC function and transmission park/neutral position.

EWS-III, E36 9/96-8/99 = revised EWS-II system with added clutch position sensor and revised module and wiring.

So i think INPA without the FAL hack works only on cars from January 1995 and on. As you confirmed normal EWS doesnt work, and i confirmed that EWSI (i have a 1994 car) doesnt work.
    Last edited by klaas; 11-16-2018 at 07:14 AM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    [QUOTE=klaas;30145951]
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post

It is a mod made by FAL for mistreku that bypasses the EWS check for the 3.3.1 DME in version 4.4.7. This INPA version can only read DME of cars with EWS and it wont continu to the engine menu if the car has no EWS. Probably FAL ripped the code out that checks for EWS presence

See screenshot of this post made by FAL to mistreku:

Attachment 640452
    https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...41/index5.html

You should, after clean installation (i have no access to my laptop with INPA but i believe it was like this):

- Rename existing SGDAT\DM331K20.PRG ---> SGDAT\DM331K20_WITHAWS.PRG
    - Copy mistreku DME331.PRG -> SGDAT\DM331K20.PRG (rename it to this after copy)

- Rename existing \Ecu\DME331.IPO ---> \Ecu\DME331_WITHAWS.IPO
    - Copy mistreku DME331.IPO --> \Ecu\DME331.IPO (same name)

It now picks up these files instead of the AWS ones.
    Klaas,

I did what you suggested after a clean install but now I see error SYS-0002 - ECU object not found.

Still, I'm able to see the DME with Tool32. Here are a few details of my install:

inpa1.JPG

inpa2.JPG

What could be wrong? Thanks.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    [QUOTE=TRF434;30147342]

Klaas,

I did what you suggested after a clean install but now I see error SYS-0002 - ECU object not found.

Still, I'm able to see the DME with Tool32. Here are a few details of my install:

inpa1.JPG

inpa2.JPG

What could be wrong? Thanks.
    klaas,

I got it to work by adjusting the data transfer speed from 16 to 8 bit on COM properties. Thanks a lot!

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast