Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The E36 Diff Thread

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BCM View Post
    I may be tackling this myself - I have a limited slip unit I need to Replace the clutches on, and am considering adding two more while I'm in there. Do you know the orientation of the extra clutches if you add them?

Great Thread!
    One on each side of the spider gears. You will also need two extra dog ear plates and will need to machine down the ends on the inside of the carrier equivalent to the thickness of the extra clutches and plates you are adding.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarDanskjold View Post
    Holyshitandthankyousir!

You have just put a goldmine in the BF.c archives and should be highly praised for the work you've done! I'm gushing with anticipation of going back over this in detail.

Again, latitudes of gratitude,
    If I'm missing any information, let me know. I copied this over from my original thread on OhioBimmers in a matter of about thirty minutes. You can see all 11 pages of that here:
    http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3624
    Semper Fidelis

H&R /// Koni /// Powerflex /// AKG
    My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Coupé
    Hell yeah!! That's exactly the kind of information I've been searching for a long time - thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Best regards,
    Phil
    Last edited by RST Driver; 05-11-2011 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehatter View Post
    One on each side of the spider gears. You will also need two extra dog ear plates and will need to machine down the ends on the inside of the carrier equivalent to the thickness of the extra clutches and plates you are adding.
    Makes sense. If you didn't machine down the ends, or remove shims the extra clutches either wouldn't fit or you'd be increasing the preload / static lock of the diff a whole bunch right? (Comes from the # of clutches, their Coefficient of Friction, and how tightly they're packed together)

I haven't done a BMW diff before, so maybe I'll just replace for now and plan out the full rebuild - I'm going to try to source new compression rings with different ramps. The only "Off the shelf" place I've found is here, and I don't think I want 30/30 ramps which I think these are:

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp...&Item=unassign
    Brendan
    '90 E30 M3
    Boston, MA

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Makes sense. If you didn't machine down the ends, or remove shims the extra clutches either wouldn't fit or you'd be increasing the preload / static lock of the diff a whole bunch right? (Comes from the # of clutches, their Coefficient of Friction, and how tightly they're packed together)
    You would literally be creating a spool and/or breaking the limited slip cover bolts and/or not being able to seat the cover down far enough which would cause fitment issues for the carrier.
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Excellent thread!

You now need to turn your attention to the 210mm diffs
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    You now need to turn your attention to the 210mm diffs
    Heh...maybe someday...

In other news, I am 230 miles into my break-in period. Can't wait till I can go 100% with this thing...
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Now at 350 miles...
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    E30 M3
    I'll throw another question out there - how much trouble did you have removing the M8x16 allen bolts that secure the cover plate on the LSD? Mine have obviously been removed before, because a couple are on the verge of stripping from previous removals / installs, and I stripped one before I stopped. My guess is they are Red-Loctited in solid.

Time to pick up a fresh tank of MAP gas and a couple new Allen sockets before I try again.
    Brendan
    '90 E30 M3
    Boston, MA

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    I'll throw another question out there - how much trouble did you have removing the M8x16 allen bolts that secure the cover plate on the LSD? Mine have obviously been removed before, because a couple are on the verge of stripping from previous removals / installs, and I stripped one before I stopped. My guess is they are Red-Loctited in solid.

Time to pick up a fresh tank of MAP gas and a couple new Allen sockets before I try again.
    Mine were easy, but here's the thing...

The differential I used as the donor for this build was a 3.15 LSD from a 95 ///M. BMW originally sent out these differentials out with no thread locker of sorts on the allen bolts and just torqued them down. The early limited slips in the E36 are notorious for shearing and throwing these allen bolts. It appears BMW realized this may be an issue in or around 96. I have seen zero cases of the bolts being thrown or sheared from this point on, and I can assume they used a thread locker on them. As to whether it was blue or red, I don't know. I reassembled mine using blue (Loctite 242) and torqued each to 25 ft-lbs. The only parts I used red (Loctite 271) on were the ten ring gear bolts and the pinion nut. I used blue for the twelve side cover bolts.
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    E36 M3
    outstanding write up, some of this info is hard to find. thanks ! your the diff master

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by E36BMWBUILD View Post
    your the diff master
    Well thanks, but I'm still fairly new at it. There's a lot out there that have been doing it much longer. The difference between me and them is that I like to share and they don't. This isn't rocket science...
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    96 328i, 80 VW caddy
    I'm going to try to source new compression rings with different ramps. The only "Off the shelf" place I've found is here, and I don't think I want 30/30 ramps which I think these are:

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/StockItem.asp...&Item=unassign

The link isn't working. I am interested in these also.

Thanks.

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PFunk242 View Post
    The link isn't working. I am interested in these also.

Thanks.
    Works fine for me.
    Brendan
    '90 E30 M3
    Boston, MA

My Cars
    96 328i, 80 VW caddy
    it is working now it wasn't before. thanks

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Alright I've been fully broken in for over a week now...and I'm enjoying every minute of it. What a difference a ratio change can make, and going from open to limited slip.
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice build thread. I bet you can feel the lower ratio off the line.

I was just up in your neck of the woods at Enthusiast Auto. Nice drive back on OH-73.

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTech View Post
    Nice build thread. I bet you can feel the lower ratio off the line.

I was just up in your neck of the woods at Enthusiast Auto. Nice drive back on OH-73.
    They've got some nice cars, but way more than I'd be willing to pay for a 12+ year old car.
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    N/A
    Sooooo... about that ZF 5 speed I'd love to rebuild too...

Not to threadjack, but since this is my new shrine of informative goodness...

Just saw HPF's E46 5speed teardown and for some time, I've wanted to tackle rebuilding my old ZF. Has anyone done a similar teardown/list/rebuild or documented anywhere near as well as OrangeChapeau has done?
    -Steve

Do you like large cats?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Evan,
    yes there are 2 carrier shim part numbers but they are different sizes
    see here
    http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/1808526-post116.html
    -Rich-

My Cars
    E36 323is/5
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    Evan,
    yes there are 2 carrier shim part numbers but they are different sizes
    see here
    http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/1808526-post116.html
    I'm aware Rich. I only know of one person so far that has needed the thicker set.
    Semper Fidelis

My 3.46 LSD Build Thread

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Mine were easy, but here's the thing...

The differential I used as the donor for this build was a 3.15 LSD from a 95 ///M. BMW originally sent out these differentials out with no thread locker of sorts on the allen bolts and just torqued them down. The early limited slips in the E36 are notorious for shearing and throwing these allen bolts. It appears BMW realized this may be an issue in or around 96. I have seen zero cases of the bolts being thrown or sheared from this point on, and I can assume they used a thread locker on them. As to whether it was blue or red, I don't know. I reassembled mine using blue (Loctite 242) and torqued each to 25 ft-lbs. The only parts I used red (Loctite 271) on were the ten ring gear bolts and the pinion nut. I used blue for the twelve side cover bolts.

Tell me about it! Read the link in my Siggy. Been there done that as many here know. Not been here as much lately (learning C5 Z06's..plan to add one to the stable soon!) but good job and thanks for sharing. Bimmer Diff stuff has been hidden for way too long.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Excellent resource OH. These write-ups are dangerous as they make me want to take more stuff apart. Confidence inspiring info here for sure. TY

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I'm aware Rich. I only know of one person so far that has needed the thicker set.
    2 people now... not that you know me.
    Joe

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    epic thread! thanks for sharing

My Cars
    95 M3
    Bravo, great write up.

Question - what is the manufacturer of the diff? I know its a 188mm but want to purchase a new ring and pinion and have some resources but need to know the manufacturer.

Thanks.
    1995 M3 silver
    Auto to 5 speed manual conversion
    Turner performance chip
    Supersprint exhaust
    vented rotors
    ac schnitzer suspension kit
    ASE master Tech

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast