Thread: verts tracking and autocrossing

My Cars
    92 325i

Question verts tracking and autocrossing

I'm the former owner of the e36 in my sig. but just totaled it in the recent snow storm anyway I am buying a vert I think I am in to tracking and autocrossing obviously and am I going to be completely bummed with a vert when trying these great sports with it or are they really not that much diferent at all????? or what will I notice most of all??

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E90
    The frame is weaker as well as significantly heavier. It will probably feel the same but slightly numb and slower.

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    Some organizations that run DEs and such won't allow convertibles to run unless you have roll protection, 5/6-point harnesses and arm restraints. Either that or factory roll over protection and a factory hard top using factory mounts, etc. At least that's the rule with the local BMW CCA chapter here. According to their "Convertible Rules" page, they apparently derived these rules from the BMW CCA Natioal rules and regulations.

As for auto-x's, our local chapter allows all convertibles to compete without any additional modifications.

So I guess my advise to you is that if you are going to use your vert for strictly auto-x'ing, you should be fine. But if you ever want to go to some DE's, you should check your local car clubs' rules and regulations to make sure you can participate in stock form.

This is all moot if you have the money to make the mods.

My Cars
    92 325i
    thanks guys

My Cars
    BMW Z3 Supercharged
    Auto-x, you are fine. At DEs they may or may not require roll hoops, depending on the track. Never heard of a DE that required 5 point harnesses and arm restraints, for a convertible or fixed roof car...

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    Here are the rules for our chapter.

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/motorsports...le%20rules.htm

My Cars
    Spec E30, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i
    Just for reference, our chapter (Hoosier) doesn't allow convertibles at all for DE's, even if they have roll hoops.
    Simon
    Spec E30 #116

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    Originally posted by simonh
    Just for reference, our chapter (Hoosier) doesn't allow convertibles at all for DE's, even if they have roll hoops.
    Right -- proper roll protection for a convertible resembles a swing set built in the back seat extending nearly six inches above your head in front.

Autox - no worries, track - forget it.

I heard a fellow describing his experience going off in an M Roadster in T3 at Thunderhill. While the roll hoops didn't buckle, and he wasn't seriously hurt, the vivid description of rocks and other crap whacking off his forehead was enough to make up the decision for me!

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog