Thread: Why do e46 M3 owners switch back to E36 M3?

My Cars
    W208 CLK55 AMG

Why do e46 M3 owners switch back to E36 M3?

Why do many E46 M3 owners switch back to the E36 M3? I have a higher mileage E36 M3 and was thinking about getting a newer car. I test drove a couple E46's and liked the additional power and features they offered.

I understand an E46 M3 is more expensive to maintain. Are there other reasons people switch back to the E36 M3?

My Cars
    96 M3
    the E36 is more raw

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    They are also more predictable. A friend of mine upgraded from an E36 M3 to an E46 M3 and never really got over it because it wasn't as confident on the track.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    When I bought my E46, it was because my friend had cracked up her car, not because I wanted two cars, now I have three cars. I was looking at several Blue E36 M3 Convertibles, they are pretty drool. I drove the E46, thought that the engine was like a tight rubber band, not as smooth as the non M's the Manual would have made me suffer in traffic and the SMG sucked in my opinion, so I got a Automatic E46, then her car was fixed and we sold it and she wanted a Jag, she likes my E46, but loves the Jag...
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    Thanks for the input guys. I didn't feel that much of a difference between the E46 and E36 M3 handling. I didn't get an opportunity to really drive and e46 hard to feel the difference.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I moved from an E36 M3 to E46 M3... never looked back. Ya, the E46 M3 was more expensive to maintain, but then again, any newer car is more expensive to maintain. The E92 M3 is more than the E46 M3 ever was.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I moved from an E36 M3 to E46 M3... never looked back. Ya, the E46 M3 was more expensive to maintain, but then again, any newer car is more expensive to maintain. The E92 M3 is more than the E46 M3 ever was.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I swear the way some BMW owners talk there is some fatal flaw in the E46. I like the newer styling and abundance of features available in the E46 M3.

My Cars
    03.5 CB M3, 99 TiAg M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ArktikSilvrM3 View Post
    I understand an E46 M3 is more expensive to maintain. Are there other reasons people switch back to the E36 M3?
    Insurance, parts cost, maintenance, etc. and maybe they just want less flare than in their E46. Personally if i had an E46 M id keep it or get an E30 M3 and S54 the thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeam View Post
    E46 M3 and never really got over it because it wasn't as confident on the track.
    Yes I can vouch for this. After driving my E36 M3 on the track then my friend's E46 M3, the rear end on the E46 tends to 'snap' loose instead of the more smooth, controlled slide in the E36. Yes the power in the E46 is obviously there, but it's a little hair raising near the limit...
    Last edited by MrFunkengruven; 05-01-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    This is a mechanical forum, and the problem you have is not mechanical.

The good news is that the problem will go away in a few years. You'll probably destroy the car before that happens, though.

I'd suggest a bicycle, meanwhile.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkengruven View Post
    Yes I can vouch for this. After driving my E36 M3 on the track then my friend's E46 M3, the rear end on the E46 tends to 'snap' loose instead of the more smooth, controlled slide in the E36. Yes the power in the E46 is obviously there, but it's a little hair raising near the limit...
    I never really had a problem with mine at the track... the only problem I had was boiling the brake fluid and destroying a set of pads during my first event with the car when it was in totally stock form. Sliding it was not what I would say 'more tricky' but required more finesse because you had more power.

Somewhere out there on the internet is a photo of me completely sideways with opposite lock because I got greedy with the power too soon coming out of a corner. I'm told if you look really closely you can see the panic in my eyes...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    96 M3
    I never really had a problem with mine at the track... the only problem I had was boiling the brake fluid and destroying a set of pads during my first event with the car when it was in totally stock form. Sliding it was not what I would say 'more tricky' but required more finesse because you had more power.

Somewhere out there on the internet is a photo of me completely sideways with opposite lock because I got greedy with the power too soon coming out of a corner. I'm told if you look really closely you can see the panic in my eyes...
    do you still have it on your computer?

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    That's what I wanted to hear. I swear the way some BMW owners talk there is some fatal flaw in the E46. I like the newer styling and abundance of features available in the E46 M3.
    If it helps validate my friend's opinion: she's been racing professionally for 30 years and has raced and owned every version of M3 ever made. She sold the E46 M3 a year in and upgraded to an E90 M3 which she says has the confidence of the E36 with the power (and more) of the E46 M3. Trust me, she's not against BMWs-- her day job is to sell them. She just was never a fan of the E46 M3.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    09'M3 05'M3 02'M3 74'Tii
    Right on. The E46 M3 is an awesome machine and personally I think is light years ahead of the E36 version in every respect.There is no comparison.

My Cars
    09'M3 05'M3 02'M3 74'Tii
    And yes Kevlar, that is totally true. Even so, I think the styling of the E46 M3 is timeless and unique.
    Last edited by maranello455; 05-01-2011 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Some people are just interested in one model over the other. Looks, feel, and the nostalgic factor can override the "newer is better" complex many people have.

With that said, is the E46 M3 better than the E36 M3?....yeah...and it should be. But that doesn't mean the E36M its not a great car. In its prime, it was one of the best handling car's in the world. E36 M3 owners are proud of that and when they get into a E46 M3, they just don't get the same feeling they do when they get behind the wheel of an E36 M3.

See the attachment....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    All this talk about e36 m3's make me wish i got one

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Unfortunately not...

This was the car though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    96 M3
    damn i need to find that pic good clean E46 tho

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by N05 View Post
    damn i need to find that pic good clean E46 tho
    That's the only way...