Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys use wheel locks?

My Cars
    E39

Do you guys use wheel locks?

I'm considering getting some for my style 5's (I took off the plastic covers so the bolts are now always exposed). I've never used wheel locks before so I have no idea what's good.

Besides function, I'm also concerned about aesthetics. I did some google searches for wheel locks and they seem to only make locks that are finished in chrome? I'd prefer something that isn't so flashy since my wheels are not chrome and I'd prefer something that matches.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    I'm considering getting some for my style 5's (I took off the plastic covers so the bolts are now always exposed). I've never used wheel locks before so I have no idea what's good.

Besides function, I'm also concerned about aesthetics. I did some google searches for wheel locks and they seem to only make locks that are finished in chrome? I'd prefer something that isn't so flashy since my wheels are not chrome and I'd prefer something that matches.

Personally I dont think they are worth the cost. Anyone can buy a set of lug removers at the auto parts store for $20. If you still really want them then there are some better companies that make colored bolts. Bav auto has a set of locks in black.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    MY02 530iA Sprt, '95 911
    Wheel locks are a thing of the past...same category as the club..save the funds for mods.
    Ken

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    I run them on my 65's. McGaurd is a good brand.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    ^ Agreed McGaurd is pretty good. RAD is suppose to be really good as well because they use so many different keys.

Gorilla is nice because you can actually buy a whole set of them, but I wonder exactly how many different keys exist, because they are rather cheap.

I'm also concerned about aesthetics.
    If this is true, why did you remove the center lug caps?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Image below belongs to Edgy36-39 (bimmerfest forum)...you can see the BMW locking stud/bolt which uses an "adapter" instead of a key (bottom right lug). This image & my info below is the same that was posted in your thread over on Bimmerfest. Just sharing the info for both forums.

If you get the BMW oe type like Edgy showed in his post...they use an adapter (instead of a physical key) which works better if you live in an area that sees more climatic changes than 95% sunshine.

The type of locking studs that use a physical key can have issues with crud (etc) ceasing up the lock...so I would recommend the locking stud type that uses an adapter...see "D" in the image below (again, this is the type Edgy pictured in his post). And if you have black studs...then they really don't stand out unless you get right upon the wheel to specifically look at them. And if you do lose the adapter (for some reason)...you can easily get it replaced from most BMW dealerships:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-01-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    00;540x2,96jetta,rip325s
    your crazy loud alarm siren will sound before they even jack the wheel off the ground

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    I run them on my 65's. McGaurd is a good brand.
    +3.
    However, I am using OEM locking lugs on my summer wheels now.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    I use OEM BMW (Group 1). They cost me $35 shipped from ebay. They were used but came with 2 keys.

I love my Hamann HM2 wheels and I am always worried someone will acquire them...not anymore.

My Cars
    2001 530iA, 2000 GMC Z71
    I can't steal my own wheels without a 4' breaker-bar, 20 minutes of penetrant, and a whole bunch of cuss words.

My Cars
    E39
    Ok thanks for the info. My OEM lug bolts are actually gold not chrome or black. So since the OEM BMW locks are black, where would I buy a set of black lug bolts? I couldn't find the part number at real OEM: http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...85&hg=36&fg=25

Also, is there a way I can get 20 wheel locks so that every lug nut is a wheel lock i.e. 5 wheel locks per wheel? Wouldn't this be a lot better than just having one per wheel?

In response to me saying I think aesthetics are important:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    If this is true, why did you remove the center lug caps?
    Because I think it looks a lot better without that plastic cover than with it.
    Last edited by Soco; 05-02-2011 at 05:51 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Ok thanks for the info. My OEM lug bolts are actually gold not chrome or black. So since the OEM BMW locks are black, where would I buy a set of black lug bolts? I couldn't find the part number at real OEM: http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...85&hg=36&fg=25

Also, is there a way I can get 20 wheel locks so that every lug nut is a wheel lock i.e. 5 wheel locks per wheel? Wouldn't this be a lot better than just having one per wheel?

My stock lugs are anodized gold/silver from the factory.
    However, you can buy new OEM lugs anodized black from the dealer, or online.
    There is only (1) locking lug per wheel = (5) locking lugs total.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    Personally I dont think they are worth the cost. Anyone can buy a set of lug removers at the auto parts store for $20. If you still really want them then there are some better companies that make colored bolts. Bav auto has a set of locks in black.

this is assuming there's enough clearance between the wall of the lug hole, and the lug itself.

get a wheel lock that fills up the entire cavity, and then something that requires a key to remove from the center where an adapter/key fits like Q posted (lock C):

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ... My OEM lug bolts are actually gold not chrome or black. So since the OEM BMW locks are black, where would I buy a set of black lug bolts? I couldn't find the part number at real OEM: http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...85&hg=36&fg=25

You can either "paint" your existing lug bolts black (this is the inexpensive method)...or buy the black lug bolts from BMW...just look at the diagram/part nbr index for the type of BMw wheel you have (Style 5) it is item #4:

If you want to put 5 locking wheel lug bolts on each wheel...you'd have to buy 5 pkgs which will give you 20 lug bolts. You'd probably want all of them to have the same "code" (no more than 2 different codes) so that you wouldn't have to keep up with 4 different adapters to remove your wheels.

Personally, I feel that more than one locking lug bolt would be overkill. Let's say someone does try to steal your wheels and remove the 4 non-locking bolt...how successful will they be in removing your wheel from the hub with that one bolt still screwed on? Plus you'd have to multiply the problem of removing that one locking bolt to each remaining wheel. This would still be a deterrent for someone trying to steal them...the one locking bolt on each wheel slows them down...and the more time spent trying to steal the wheels off the car...also increases the chance of them being caught/seen etc.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    E39
    I totally understand I come across as overkill for wanting 20 wheel locks. I also understand that it would greatly inconvenience me to change a flat tire with so many locks. But think about this hypothetical situation:

What if a vandal isn't trying to steal your wheels, but merely sabotage you instead? I could loosen the lug nuts so that the wheel might fall off once you get moving? For example, if I loosened four lug nuts, but left them in place so that it doesn't look like they're loosened - there'd only be one wheel lock left that I can't loosen (the only lug nut that's holding the wheel to your car). Wouldn't it be dangerous to drive around with only one lug nut (the one with the wheel lock) holding your wheel to your car? I'd imagine that the stress might snap that single lug nut and cause your wheel to fall off.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    ^ That is a possible situation, but I think there is another issue you have to look at. Locking lug nuts aren't all that hard to remove. They may scare away the amateurs, but a professional theft can probably have one of them off within 5-10mins. When all you have is one on each wheel your talking about the locking lugs only slowing them down 20-40mins for all the wheels. Now if you had a set of twenty, it would take them a minimum of 25-50mins per wheel. More than likely they will give up. The idea of being a theft is to make money with little or no work, having to take 3-4 hours to get a set of style 5s does not fit the stereotype.

My Cars
    97 SC 540ia / 09 TL SH
    I purchased a set of MCgard wheel locks. Male key, this has been honestly the worst set of locks I have ever purchased. The key has slipped three times and destroyed the actual lock design. Read it up, there has been so many customers with the same problem

I tried to take the locks off myself with a socket etc etc and it ended up chipping my brand new VMRs. So back to ordering another pos lock key for 20 plus bucks

I previously always used gorilla with no problems whatsoever. Stick with this company

Ps. Wheel locks do there job and make it harder for theifs from getting your rims.

My Cars
    97 SC 540ia / 09 TL SH
    I purchased a set of MCgard wheel locks. Male key, this has been honestly the worst set of locks I have ever purchased. The key has slipped three times and destroyed the actual lock design. Read it up, there has been so many customers with the same problem

I tried to take the locks off myself with a socket etc etc and it ended up chipping my brand new VMRs. So back to ordering another pos lock key for 20 plus bucks

I previously always used gorilla with no problems whatsoever. Stick with this company

Ps. Wheel locks do there job and make it harder for theifs from getting your rims.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...What if a vandal isn't trying to steal your wheels, but merely sabotage you instead ... loosen the lug nuts so that the wheel might fall off once you get moving?
    OMG...what are you doing that you'd have to worry about this? Perhaps a reassessment of your lifestyle, friends, and/or enemies is in order.

(I'm razzing you...so please don't be offended)

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    OMG...what are you doing that you'd have to worry about this? Perhaps a reassessment of your lifestyle, friends, and/or enemies is in order.

(I'm razzing you...so please don't be offended)
    Nothing , but it does stand to reason that to deter from that hypothetical situation having 20 locks would be better than four right? Bad things happen to everyone. Hit and runs, random acts of tire slashing/keying, so I wouldn't consider loosening lugs to screw over a stranger that unfounded. Extremely rare? Yes, it certainly wouldn't be as common as keying or whatnot, but if I could think of it, I'm sure other people have too.
    Last edited by Soco; 05-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vento8v View Post
    your crazy loud alarm siren will sound before they even jack the wheel off the ground
    So true. I was testing an old jack I was borrowing from someone for my seasonal wheel swap and forgot to unlock the car and shut the alarm off. The second the suspension reached the end of its travel and the jack started supporting the weight of the car, I got quite the scare.

Quote Originally Posted by Papabear View Post
    I can't steal my own wheels without a 4' breaker-bar, 20 minutes of penetrant, and a whole bunch of cuss words.
    LOL. My last car was like this (Mazda Protege). As a result, I have been diligent about cleaning the hubs and applying anti-seize when I have the wheels off the bimmer.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    this is assuming there's enough clearance between the wall of the lug hole, and the lug itself.

get a wheel lock that fills up the entire cavity, and then something that requires a key to remove from the center where an adapter/key fits like Q posted (lock C):

Anyone knows what is BMW part number for type C lockable version, or how to order a set?

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Nobody is going to steal Style 5's...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    Nobody is going to steal Style 5's...
    Style 5s are very desirable rims to most BMW enthusiast. I'm not personally a fan of them, but most regard them as classics and install them on any BMW before the E39.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Anyone knows what is BMW part number for type C lockable version, or how to order a set?
    I haven't seen the Type C locks in decades. I believe BMW stopped selling/using that type due to the issues with road grime and other issues with this type of design. The keys would eventually not unlock the bolt due to corrosion/grime/dirt build up...or they would become frozen in geographic areas that have below freezing ambient temps in the winter.

The only type sold in the BMW part database is TYPE D.

Part number: 36 13 6 776 073 or Part number: 36 13 6 782 984

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast