Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E36 Front PDC

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    so you are still using OEM sensors right?
    Correct

Also, just to recap....the switch will activate/deactivate the FRONT PDC sensors and the rear are automatically activated when the car is put in reverse gear, correct?
    No... Both, reverse and the switch will activate front and rear sensors at the same time.

last thing, what are the specifics of that 10k ohm resistor
    I'm not sure... I just had a spare modules around so I pulled one with the same resistance. I think guys at RadioShack can help better.

Next time you are here, pm me

My Cars
    not enough
    You bet man!

I'll circle back and provide more info on the resistor when I fiddle with the system.. The last thing I would want to do before installing is seeing if I can use different distance sensors for the rear. The OEM sensors fit much nicer to the rear of the e36....but they fit much less aesthetically on the e31 (i was trying to be nice...they just look plain flugly), so if I can find an OEM sensor, or even aftermarket, that works well with this OEM e38 system It would be my ideal kit.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Sweet mod

You know that the iBus enabled PDC module can give you the measurement data from each sensor over the diagnostics bus right? Could make a nice display up
    Old reply, but now with the OpenOBC project finished boards, this has ibus input, which means the pdc measurements could be displayed now!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falk View Post
    Yes. 100% sure. OEM e36 pdc Switch Part # 61 31 2 137 728
    Well well well. Just as I thought I knew everything about the E36 and surely every switch used it in the E36...

just wow. My first thought was someone had modded a PDC switch and fitted the rocker arm to it. Turns out is a "service car" switch.

That one is perfect and I can only guess a simple switch that breaks contact (it would be normally on) and simply cuts +12v or ground.

That switch sure has potential. Could be an easy solution to switch on/off front/rear pdc independently. Ok the E32 switch is nicer, but also harder to hook up as it's a momentary switch, N/O I believe.

This switch being I/O could also be perfect for my SMG's pump on/off switch. I want to put a switch that acts as a circuit breaker as I don't want to pump running every time I open the door, if I just need to get something out of my car or do some work that doesn't involve starting the car.

I could use multiple Hi-fi switches, but the symbols are wrong. With this being a nice I/O, it makes more sense, although of course not 100%.

ps: but damn, BMW charges an arm and a leg for new switches.

pps: the ETK is still not a 100% thrustworthy. It still and always has listed a sunblind switch, while the E36 never got an electric sunblind.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    MCab
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    No... Both, reverse and the switch will activate front and rear sensors at the same time.
    How did you wire this? There is only one 12v + that I am aware of to power the E38 PDC unit (green/black, pin 26).

Where did you wire the 12V + reverse signal to turn on the E38 PDC unit?

My thoughts were to power the E38 PDC unit from 12V + switched (provides PDC at all time via switch) and using a relay to provide a ground signal (but don't know where this mysterious signal is wired to the E38 PDC unit, brown/blue/yellow band, pin 19?) when the in reverse.

Thanks

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by E36MCab View Post
    How did you wire this? There is only one 12v + that I am aware of to power the E38 PDC unit (green/black, pin 26). Where did you wire the 12V + reverse signal to turn on the E38 PDC unit? My thoughts were to power the E38 PDC unit from 12V + switched (provides PDC at all time via switch) and using a relay to provide a ground signal (but don't know where this mysterious signal is wired to the E38 PDC unit, brown/blue/yellow band, pin 19?) when the in reverse. Thanks
    Wiring E38 PDC module on E36:
    Make sure you have ground on pins 14 and 18
    Reverse gear signal goes to pin 6 And don't forget to do the steps that I mentioned above on this page!
    Last edited by dancerst; 03-30-2014 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    MCab
    Thanks for the info.Will update this thread when I get my install done next month hopefully.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    If anyone is interested in this project I have one complete front/back BMW PDC system available. All you would need to add is the switch.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Just for the record, is an old type module uses that uses the same "passive" sensors as the E36 or could or is the later type module used with active sensors? The old one have 2-pins, 3 for the later ones.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Just for the record, is an old type module uses that uses the same "passive" sensors as the E36 or could or is the later type module used with active sensors? The old one have 2-pins, 3 for the later ones.
    For active sensors you need newer module. Like from E46.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    IIRC the facelift or at least post 3/99 E38/E39 use the active sensors. Thought they all beep. I have no clue how they would work better, if it makes a difference at all.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    IIRC the facelift or at least post 3/99 E38/E39 use the active sensors. Thought they all beep. I have no clue how they would work better, if it makes a difference at all.
    The first PDC I've ever installed on my BMW, was the E46 PDC system, with 3pin sensors.
    I hated so much! Sensors brake easily and they are expensive.

After that I switched to front/rear from E38 (2pin sensors) and I love it))

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well good to know. From the looks of it all the modules are the same size, or at least this E38 one is. That would mean I can use the factory bracket when I (eventually) might try this mod.

On my 328i I retrofitted the original PDC system and this has a nice piggyback wiring loom that replace pin 1 of the left rear light cluster (+12v reverse light) with a pin from the loom and than that loom has a contra-connector for that pin. Pretty need.

My M3 is factory fitted with PDC. I wondered if this works the same way, but I see the ETM now that the <ON> signal comes straight from the reverse light switch on the gearbox.

At first I want to at least get a functional PDC switch (the E32 one) working, so I am going to try that tip listed in this topic.

From VAS2VAS

FYI, I can confirm this works on an E36 yellow plug PDC module. Momentary ground to pin 19 can deactivate/activate the pdc while reversing. I used an SMG switch from an M3 Evo which has 3 pins and when pressed closes one of the wires to ground (other 2 wires are of course ground and illumination).
    I haven't checked if my M3 has a purple or yellow plug module. Didn't know there were 2 versions. The retrofit kit has the purple one.

Now that PDC switch has a kind of (to me) weird inner workings. The trick would be getting +12v to the pin of the green light, but that goes off when you press it to turn off the PDC. Using the reverse light +12v would not work as this is on in reverse all the time. I doubt there is a +12v out in the E36 PDC module that would go off while staying in reverse.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    I think Yellow plug PDC will work with the button... Not sure about purple one.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2020 at 08:19 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    EVERY ONE! HUGE UPDATE ON E38 PDC MODULE!

Will post pictures soon!

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed Front/rear PDC on my new E36... And as the last time I've used ONE PDC modules for front and rear. NO IBUS NEEDED!!!

- - - Updated - - -

FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS INSTALLED E38 PDC MODULE.

If after installing on E36, your PDC still doesn't respond for reverse lights, you have to modify the module from inside.

This is what the E38 PDC (front + rear) looks like

STEP 1:
    you need to focus on this area:

D., why do pin 14 and 18 be connected? When I check the E36 ETM, ground is already provided to both these pins. I guess if you were to use the E36 wiring loom, you could hook it up and have ground to 14 and 18. Unless you did custom wiring.

and what is exactly the function of that diode/restrictor solderd in that empty spot?

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    D., why do pin 14 and 18 be connected? When I check the E36 ETM, ground is already provided to both these pins. I guess if you were to use the E36 wiring loom, you could hook it up and have ground to 14 and 18. Unless you did custom wiring. and what is exactly the function of that diode/restrictor solderd in that empty spot?
    Hi! So... I was using E38 wiring which has only 1 ground wire, that's why I had to add one more.

That resistor allow your PDC module to use a reverse light signal to activate sensors.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ah thx. Wasn't is much easier to add an extra ground wire to the connector instead of soldering that wire inside?

ps I checked my E36 PDC module. It's with purple connector. Adding pin 19 on the black connector (x300) and grounding it does not disactivate it. I guess the factory e36 pdc switch (the I/O one) simply disconnects the +12v on the reverse light imput wire.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Ah thx. Wasn't is much easier to add an extra ground wire to the connector instead of soldering that wire inside? ps I checked my E36 PDC module. It's with purple connector. Adding pin 19 on the black connector (x300) and grounding it does not disactivate it. I guess the factory e36 pdc switch (the I/O one) simply disconnects the +12v on the reverse light imput wire.
    I just wanted less wires in the car, that's why I soldered it inside.

Yes, e36 switch just cuts +12V

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yeah, so no chance on using the E32 momentary switch with the E36 module.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Yeah, so no chance on using the E32 momentary switch with the E36 module.
    Why not?
    I think if you get E36 yellow connector module you'll be able to use E32-31 switch.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Why not?
    I think if you get E36 yellow connector module you'll be able to use E32-31 switch.
    Yes I meant with my current (purple) connector PDC module.

I guess the yellow one is the old version of the module. Haven't check what is on my M3 with factory fitted PDC, but I bet it's purple as well.

Don't really mind though, as the E36 PDC switch is fine as well. As long as I can fill all the button spaces in my SMG console with properly functioning buttons.

It's a shame the E36 lumbar switches are not lit. Modding a light in them, well I guess it's possible but not something I fancy. That way I could fit them in the center console and have easy access to them. The location on the rear side of the seat is as good as unreachable while driving.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Yes I meant with my current (purple) connector PDC module. I guess the yellow one is the old version of the module. Haven't check what is on my M3 with factory fitted PDC, but I bet it's purple as well. Don't really mind though, as the E36 PDC switch is fine as well. As long as I can fill all the button spaces in my SMG console with properly functioning buttons. It's a shame the E36 lumbar switches are not lit. Modding a light in them, well I guess it's possible but not something I fancy. That way I could fit them in the center console and have easy access to them. The location on the rear side of the seat is as good as unreachable while driving.
    Lol )))
    Definitely not the greatest location for lumbar switches)))

I want SMG console for my vert... But it's impossible to fine them here... :-/

I think yellow connector is newer than purple.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Plenty of SMG consoles here. I could source you one, but they do ask silly money for the LHD version.

My PDC kit I bought new from BMW in 2008 came with purple connector.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Plenty of SMG consoles here. I could source you one, but they do ask silly money for the LHD version. My PDC kit I bought new from BMW in 2008 came with purple connector.
    You bought it new in 2008, but what was the actual production date? Probably 1994-97

Yeah, the price for LHD is ridiculous!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well actually, I have two PDC modules with purple connector. One from my 2008 retrofit kit and one from a second kit I once bought as a spare for cheap (or for maybe future front PDC conversion).

The spare PDC module is is HW02 SW1.9 and is built in 1998.

The 2008 kit module is HW01 SW2.0 and comes from 2004. The P/N of that module is listed as from 1998 till "now".

A little odd is that the newer one is a lower hardware version, but newer software version.

IG:

My Cars
    95 318is
    I haven't checked if my M3 has a purple or yellow plug module. Didn't know there were 2 versions. The retrofit kit has the purple one.
    FYI the two versions (yellow plug and purple plug) also use a completely different design rear PDC gong (even though the housing is near identical). The yellow plug one uses a speaker type gong (i.e with a voice coil), and the purple one (a later design) a buzzer type gong (i.e with a flat piezoelectric disk); they have different part numbers are not interchangeable.

P.S. I've got a spare yellow plug PDC module, and a RHD SMG console in a box somewhere.
    From examining it, it's a regular console that's been precisely cut-up and the plate with the switches/shift indicator is just glued on and can easily separate, so I think anyone with descent fabrication skills could easily mate the plate to a suitably modified LHD console.
    Last edited by vas2vas; 09-13-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Currently:
    95 318is, 71k original km...

Sold:
    96 316i Compact
    95 M3 :'(
    87 190E 2.6
    95 C280
    82 240D
    89 735iL
    85 318i
    95 Opel Astra 1.4
    93 Lada Niva 1.6