Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear end rumble/vibration source

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    Quote Originally Posted by VWatheart View Post
    Ok sorry to steal your thunder(and good luck with your problem. I hope you figure it out soon)

But I have the same issue on my 87 325i and im going to be replacing my Guibo/csb. and (directed to 1988 325ix) is it hard to replace these? As someone who works on cars but never dabbled with it before?

Like I said sorry for stealing your thunder lol
    Hey, umm it's pretty difficult without a lift. You need to drop the exhaust system from the downpipes back. Once you get that down it's a fairly easy job. I think it's like 6 bolts and it slides out. Throw the new one in and your away.

As for the CSB I think you need to drop the driveshaft but I'm honestly not sure. My old 325ix didn't have a CSB and I havn't had the pleasure of doing it yet on my car

I just had my flex joint replaced in my e46 though. I had a job drop the exhaust to remove the rear resonators and weld in some straight SS piping and while the exhaust was dropped I just had them throw in the flex disc to same me time and aggrivation.

OP, let me know wat you find. It's very weird that it only happens under slight throttle load and nothing else. That almost makes it impossible to tell what it is. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. Like I said, most vibrations grow as load increases. This just goes away lol. Would the shop that replaced the tranny be willing to give you a quick diagnosis for free? If they are a stand up shop and since you dropped $$ with them to replace the tranny they should. With a lift and shop tools you'd be amazed at how much faster and easier the process of diagnosis is lol.

What I do (this is just me) is let the problem get slightly worse. If I honestly can't figure it out and it's not like the car is shaking to pieces I just sit on it until it gets worse and I can pin point it more easily. If it's just a slight r/v under light load nothing is hurting the car, yet. Obviously as the problem gets worse address it regardless if you can find it or not but most likely you'll be like oh it's deff coming from here it's pretty noticable now. Know what I mean.
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Hey there,

I absolutely know what you mean. Right now, that is my plan. Let it get worse and hopefully pin point what is the issue.

thanks for all the suggestions/inputs.

scoon

My Cars
    '02 325ci '97 NA Eunos
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    Hey there,

I absolutely know what you mean. Right now, that is my plan. Let it get worse and hopefully pin point what is the issue.

thanks for all the suggestions/inputs.

scoon
    No problem, keep us posted.
    "Screwed" by ESS Tuning

My Cars
    01 530i5, 99 328i
    What ever came of this? I had the rear end vibration at 25 mph, replaced the guibo and csb. Now the vibration (much less significant) is at 30 mph and seems to come from the passenger side usually under harder throttle. My thought is that the axle is bad. Any thoughts would be helpful.

My Cars
    01 530i5, 99 328i
    ttt

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Nothing came of it. Unfortunately, the sound just went away, which is quite unsettling.

My Cars
    01 bmw 330i

help

Hey there,

I have a rear end rumble/vibration. The r/v happens only when slightly applying the throttle. It seems to be loudest at 4k rpms. Audible at 3k rpms and barely detectable at 2k rpms. I am trying to pull a list of things to check out. So far, I have ruled out loose brake dust shield, unbalanced tires, loose items in trunk.

Any other ideas?

TIA,

scoon
    Hey I'm having the same problem were you able to figuer out the problem .. I'm seeing the same symptoms I hope u can help thanx

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid86 View Post
    Hey I'm having the same problem were you able to figuer out the problem .. I'm seeing the same symptoms I hope u can help thanx
    I'm sorry to report that it never got worse and have just stopped wondering about it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    I'm sorry to report that it never got worse and have just stopped wondering about it.
    Hi,

Any developments? Do you still have the problem?
    I have the same issue with my 325i and was wondering if I should just ignore it as well.

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Hey - Reviewing this thread. I have a 2001 330i auto w/sport suspension. Just had the flex disk and center bearing & mount changed by an indie. Picked the car up and now I have a really serious vibration from the rear. Took the car back and the mechanic said it is the tires...The tires are 3 months old and this vibration was certainly not there before the "Repair". I feel the entire rear end vibrating/humming Loudly 20mph+. It's loud while accelerating but LOUDER and harsher while coasting even when I throw it into neutral. At 60mph it isn't as bad but definitely there. Before I raise the roof with the mechanic I was looking for a few thoughts on what it might be? Cheers<!>

My Cars
    1991 325ix coupe
    My 1991 ix has that drone and vibration described. Its a bad u joint in the rear driveshaft. It also squeeks in reverse. Where can i find a driveshaft?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325es Coupe
    I replaced my CSB and good looking guibo with the same symptoms. I get low resonance vibes at 2-3k under light load. It gets better after driving it for a while. I've changed the diff fluid as well. I'm thinking it's a driveshaft/u-joint issue or a diff. I'm going to replace the driveshaft and diff in the next 6 months.

The CSB can be done to finagling the exhaust around; kind of a pain but did it on jacks. Replaced the guibo but the old one looked good. I even replaced the guide pin which I don't recommend. I preloaded the CSB toward the front of the car so that it was snug... almost all of the way forward.

I think it's probably the u-joint and new driveshafts aren't bad from Bav Auto. Diffs are expensive but since I'm restoring mine over time I'll have that rebuild as well. The low frequency seems to be a resonance issue parallel to the driveline not bearings.

If you do the CSB I recommend a whole new driveshaft.

My diff mount looked solid as well.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    It's the driveshaft, rear u-joint came apart, you need to replace complete driveshaft

My Cars
    97 BMW 328is, 08' BMW M3

98 328is 5 speed vibrations in 3rd gear at 3-5k rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by VWatheart View Post
    Ok sorry to steal your thunder(and good luck with your problem. I hope you figure it out soon)

But I have the same issue on my 87 325i and im going to be replacing my Guibo/csb. and (directed to 1988 325ix) is it hard to replace these? As someone who works on cars but never dabbled with it before?

Like I said sorry for stealing your thunder lol
    Hello,

I have a 98 328is, I recently changed the flex disc, quibo, throwout bearing, flywheel and now I'm experiencing the low drum sounding vibration discussed earlier in this thread.

Has anyone come to any conclusions? I haven't checked the differential fluid but the car currently has 208k, engine is health, and the sound happens in 3rd gear around 3-5k rpm. Also I feel as though it acts a little weird in 5th gear going past 100mph

I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you,

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    My 97 z3 5 speed manual has the same problem. Sometimes it sounds like the shutter/vibration is from the center rear diff, and other times it sounds like it is from the rear passenger wheel. In 1st gear, I get a "2 second" shutter when going straight in the 10mph range. Than again just after going into 2nd gear. The shutter also happens when doing a right turn from a dead stop, or a cruising 2nd gear right turn. I checked everything and everything was tight except the pinion had about a 1/4 inch of slop (Maybe a little less). I am thinking the rear passenger side wheel bearing could be the problem. Or perhaps the spider gears could be worn in the limited slip diff. Strange this shutter sound/vibration doesn't happen all the time or at all speeds.
    STRANGE to say the least.
    Last edited by K&B.21; 06-09-2020 at 07:09 AM.

My Cars
    `00 E52 Z8, `13 F10 520i
    Any conclusion on this problem? I have the same case with my E38 750.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12