Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mustang GT or BMW 335is

My Cars
    -

2012 Mustang GT or BMW 335is

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new car and haved narrowed my search down to two - the Mustang GT and the 335is. They are different machines I know, but still both great performers. I love them both and just can't seem to make a decision. Any recommendations on what way I should go? The 335is will be about $200 extra per month, but that's to be expected I guess.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    some crap
    gt, and im a bmw fanboy.

the GT performs basically just as well if not better in some aspects then the m3. now of course no one knows how long new mustangs will hold up since in the past they would fall apart after 5+ years. But bmws arent exactly known for reliability either.

e36 m3 cooling issues.
    e46 m3 early motors failing.
    e90 335 turbo issues.
    etc etc.

so really its just which one YOU rather have.

New mustangs are hot. and they've stepped their game up a lot.

335's are also great vehicles and i personally like them more. but if you really mean that 200 a month extra, just get the mustang.

The amount of $$$ you'd save in 3 years, you could always upgrade the suspension and throw on a supercharger.
    Last edited by MikeVance; 04-25-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    This is my Signature.

My Cars
    just another car
    I would go with the mustang, or the new boss
    Matt
    2001 BMW M5 silver 6spd, Mods: trashed interior, hanging bumper, oil spill
    1995 BMW 540i alpine 6spd, Mods: usual stuff
    1989 BMW 535i alpine 5spd, Mods: more usual stuff SOLD 02/05/10

My Cars
    96 M3
    how does a 335i compare?

Quote Originally Posted by snake109 View Post
    I would go with the mustang, or the new boss
    BAUWS!

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Mustang GT.

Capable, and up there with the original T'bird and GT40 as one of the best looking cars Ford's ever made.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    03.5 CB M3, 99 TiAg M3
    depends... I'd probably buy the 1 series M if it were me. The 335is is nice, but I think the 1M is all around more aggressive and nimble. Ford did their hw over the last few yrs and now the car is as fast as the M3 in the straights AND corners... if it was the 335is or the Mustang GT... Mustang GT all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    This is a mechanical forum, and the problem you have is not mechanical.

The good news is that the problem will go away in a few years. You'll probably destroy the car before that happens, though.

I'd suggest a bicycle, meanwhile.

My Cars
    2010 camaro SS,2011 328i
    mustang GT! my good friend has one of them. and i get to drive it all the time. it has over 500HP. and didnt even cost much for the gains. this engine response to mods very well.

My Cars
    e39 Touring
    Do some research on the manual transmission Mustangs - there are a few issues with the early built models. I'm not too familiar if Ford has solved the problem or if it is still a problem.

My Cars
    '02 530
    keeping stock, daily driver = 335

modifying, tracking, flogging = mustang

I drove one of the new ones the other day...I would have the warranty voided pretty quick...
    '02 530i/5

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    335is is over 50k

GT is about 30K

big price diff...

as others have mentioned, are you considering the better mustang variants? Even the boss 302 laguna seca is only like...47k?

Guess it depends on how you plan on using it....I'd go for the Boss, but I'd also be tracking the hell out of it, amazing car. For basic daily driving I might sway toward the 335is
    Last edited by 2000mkoop; 04-25-2011 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3/4/5
    Not really sure how they can even be compared together. Both excellent cars, but completely different in looks, feel, image, etc. One is an insanely fast for the money, badass muscle car. The other is a sneakily fast, comfortable, classy coupe.

My Cars
    r56
    GT.
    2008 r56

My Cars
    2001 530i
    So when are we actually going to witness a Mustang beat an M3 on a track. I know if they do it on top gun or R&T who is going to win.

My Cars
    Car
    I owned an 03 Cobra for the past 12 months, I've owned 2 Cobras and multiple GT's, and I recently had the debate between a 335 or a new GT.

I chose a 335 after selling my 03 Cobra. I wanted a more refined car, and my goal was not mainly to be quick in a straight line.

Also, they are having problems with the manual transmission in those cars breaking...and the autos just aren't fun to drive.

New GT's are nice cars that can be quick for nearly no additional mod $$$....but I wanted a different type of car.

-Will
    2006 MS6

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    It depends on whether you want to look like you are 25 and possibly having a midlofe crisis, or if you want to appear like a businessman who conciders himself refined and mature. Other than that they are both great cars. I would forgo the s though if the bmw is the path you choose. Yes it is very sweet but the standard 335 with the m package is just as stunning for much less money.
    Last edited by lug; 04-30-2011 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    1994 525it/5
    Why be so definite in 2 cars? And does it have to be new? They're are tons of cars out there that are built well, cheaper, and are fun as well. Why not try something different anyways? Buy a fun sports car with a classy and smart feel. Im going with a 1M all the way. Looks great, is fast, and deems to be reliable(im not so sure, no research). Good luck on your search, but Mustangs are just so overplayed and dull to me. Theyre improved boat loads but still a Mustang will never leave its modern roots.

My Cars
    2005 325ci cabrio 5spd
    I was in the exact same decision quandry 2 years ago. But my equation included a new 'Stang GT convertible OR a 4yr old used BMW cabrio, both for the same money. (I chose the BMW. Never regretted it, and I even got the weenie 325). Granted, the 2010-11 'stangs are more aggressive looking than they were in 2009.

Every time I see a newer Mustang, I'm so glad I chose the used BMW. The "retro" look on 'Stangs (and their competitors,..the hideous Challengers, Camaros, & Chargers) is well beyond over. Let's face it,...they've stretched the retro theme for as long as they could, & now they're simply looking passe'. Granted, my post is based on exterior styling, & I haven't stated hp or performance, etc. Perhaps look for a well-cared-for-lease-back or a trade-in BMW that's only 2-4 yrs old?? You won't regret a LOW-miler used BMW.

Love lug's post (#15)...that says it all.
    Last edited by beeemerdude; 04-26-2011 at 01:46 AM.

My Cars
    13 5.0| 11 SHO| 97 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by lug View Post
    It depends on whether you want to look like you are 25 and possibly having a midlofe crisis, or if you want to appear like a businessman who conciders himself refined and marure. Other than that they are both great cars. I would forgo the s though if the bmw is the path you choose. Yes it is very sweet but the standard 335 with the m package is just as stunning for much less money.

425whp/401wtq and 3496lbs - Race car
    97 M3/4 -Daily

My Cars
    Two, Two BMW's hahaha
    Question is does the Mustang feel like a BMW?

My Cars
    e36 323is
    It depends on whether you want to look like you are 25 and possibly having a midlofe crisis, or if you want to appear like a businessman who conciders himself refined and marure. Other than that they are both great cars. I would forgo the s though if the bmw is the path you choose. Yes it is very sweet but the standard 335 with the m package is just as stunning for much less money.

The new mustang is a sweet car. I'm not seeing the "25 year old with a midlife crisis" thing. Seems more to me like a 25 year old that wants to have a sh*tload of fun for pretty cheap. Just my $.02.

My Cars
    e36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by billyfiction View Post
    Question is does the Mustang feel like a BMW?
    +1 I'm curious about its feel.

My Cars
    2010 camaro SS,2011 328i
    maybe some of us are 25 or under

My Cars
    '09 135i
    mustang for sure. it will be a lot cheaper to maintain and mod.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by nightwing66 View Post
    Why be so definite in 2 cars? And does it have to be new? They're are tons of cars out there that are built well, cheaper, and are fun as well. Why not try something different anyways? Buy a fun sports car with a classy and smart feel. Im going with a 1M all the way. Looks great, is fast, and deems to be reliable(im not so sure, no research). Good luck on your search, but Mustangs are just so overplayed and dull to me. Theyre improved boat loads but still a Mustang will never leave its modern roots.
    I considered several others, 370z, Camaro SS, EVO X, but have narrowed my choice down to these two. To be honest, I am slightly leaning towards the Mustang, especially due to the cost / performance ratio. The one thing that draws me to the 335is though besides the "prestige" factor, is that it seems that it is a relatively rare car that probably will hold its value and may even be a collectors item one day (I may very well be wrong though, and please correct me if so).

My Cars
    2007 335i Cabrio
    Being a 335i Cabrio owner myself; well you know what I think. I would say try to get a loaner 335is with less than or equal to 8,000 miles. Or get a CPO BMW with like 30,000 miles. If you need to have a 2011 335 then you will save a lot by buying a loaner (the cars the dealership loans when people bring their car in for repair). CPO is the route I chose, and other than ending up with a stupid dealership, I haven't regretted my choice. The CPO cars are pristine and backed by an extended warranty that adds 2 years to the new car warranty (keep in mind all BMWs have a 4 year/50,000 mile $0 maintenance warranty, and you can go to any BMW dealership to get serviced which is nice if you are traveling.

The mustang is nice, but the BMW has a better warranty, and like you said is a lot more "rare" than the mustang. I see 10 mustangs like every half mile I drive, but I "rarely" see my car. In fact I'm the only one that owns a 335i in my town. If you're looking for prestige factor (we all are to an extent or else we would all be driving a prius) then BMW all the way. BMW are collector cars, especially if they are taken care of. I love old pristine BMWs no matter the model.

I just took my car in for the headlights to be replaced (warranty covered), and I got a brand new coupe to drive while they repaired it. I got my car back detailed inside and out (ford doesn't do that). My dealership also gives free details every Saturday. I drop my car off, eat the free food and drinks, and an hour later my car is detailed inside and out; I tip the kid a $20 and I'm on my way. You get treated like a king by BMW because part of the price covers the service that you would expect when buying something this expensive.

Get the BMW, trust me you won't be disappointed. A nice equivalent is the Audi A5, the interior is nicer in those, but the 335 has a better engine. Figured I'd complicate matters further for you lol.
    Last edited by Cabrio2007; 04-26-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast