Thread: Heater core replacement

My Cars
    1986 e23

Heater core replacement

Could someone please refer me to a writeup on replacing the heater core in my E23 735i? Hopefully this is documented somewhere...

I'm considering bypassing the vacuum controls for HVAC and just rigging up an on-off for each. One setting each - max hot and max cool. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
    LA

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/6940 heater core. You do not need to remove the entire housing.

The vac stuff is easy as can be to rebuild. First, buy a MityVac and see what exactly is leaking. Skip the hackjob and just repair it properly. All the stuff you hear of it being horrible just comes from people that are not familiar with it nor have ever owned the car. Just internet legend. Ever owned an MB W123, W124, W126? I own a stack of them... they all have very, very similar HVAC systems to these BMWs.

This guy sells the vac pod diaphragms. The dual throw units do not rebuild well, those are better off replaced. The single throw are usually okay, the rear seat one is difficult to fix... I just plugged it on the Ljet as no one sits back there.

George Murphy
    Performance Analysis Co.
    969 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Suite 258
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

865-482-9175 9 am to 5 pm ET M-F

There are eight pods/servos in total on the E23 with ACC, three of which are double throw/two stage:

1. Driver side cowl (double/two)
    2. Passenger side cowl
    3. Recirculation
    4. Rear seat
    5. Defroster (double/two)
    6. Face (double/two)
    7. Footwell
    8. Heater valve

Lastly, use a good foaming agent to clean the evap core out. You will be very surprised at the amount of crap that is plugged in it after 25 years and the nice increase in air volume.

I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.