Thread: Replace electric fan with a puller unit

My Cars
    e34 525i

Replace electric fan with a puller unit

I read a lot about fdm. Maybe not enough yet!
    I was wondering if somebody just replaced the electric fan and made it work as a puller instead.
    I mean, delete the clutch fan, place in there a puller. Delete stock electric aux fan. Use the original electric cables and relays fusebox and so from the original aux to feed the new one. Use 80 degree thermal switch.
    ¿someone?

My Cars
    E46 M3

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    That looks amazing. But I dont think I have enough room for it as my engine is an inline 6.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dri4n View Post
    That looks amazing. But I dont think I have enough room for it as my engine is an inline 6.
    Are you sure about that? I have one installed on both my 535's.
    demet

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Are you sure about that? I have one installed on both my 535's.
    Nope, Im not sure, just a guess ...
    In that case I think Im gona have a look at it!

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Nope, Im not sure, just a guess ...
    In that case I think Im gona have a look at it!
    Love mine; costs me $10 with relay and harness; documented here.

Original DIY here.
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Does anyone of you know whats the rated cfm and amp drop for the stock aux fan unit?

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    Does anyone of you know whats the rated cfm and amp drop for the stock aux fan unit?
    Is it feasible to simply remove the stock belt-driven fan/pulley/clutch, then move the aux electric fan from in front of the radiator to behind the radiator? Instead of blowing air from the front, now it would suck air from the rear, perhaps using the stock shroud.

The shroud could be reinforced with fiberglass or carbon fiber so that it would be strong and stiff enough to securely mount and hold the electric aux fan.

Cost would be minimal. Ram air from the nose would now flow unimpeded by the aux fan, which currently somewhat blocks air flow when the aux fan is not running. There would be no loss of engine power normally needed to turn the stock fan/pulley/clutch, leaving more power to the drivetrain, with better fuel economy and acceleration.
    Last edited by Dash01; 06-10-2016 at 11:57 PM.

My Cars
    94 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    Love mine; costs me $10 with relay and harness; documented here.

Original DIY here.
    Definitely follow Bimmerick's DIY, I couldn't understand why the original DIY didn't have the fan relayed into an ignition on source. I had to jump my car twice because my fan wouldn't turn off when I followed the original DIY.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash01 View Post
    Is it feasible to simply remove the stock belt-driven fan/pulley/clutch, then move the aux electric fan from in front of the radiator to behind the radiator? Instead of blowing air from the front, now it would suck air from the rear, perhaps using the stock shroud.

The shroud could be reinforced with fiberglass or carbon fiber so that it would be strong and stiff enough to securely mount and hold the electric aux fan.

Cost would be minimal. Ram air from the nose would now flow unimpeded by the aux fan, which currently somewhat blocks air flow when the aux fan is not running. There would be no loss of engine power normally needed to turn the stock fan/pulley/clutch, leaving more power to the drivetrain, with better fuel economy and acceleration.
    After reading a little, the thing is that the pusher may be more effective than the puller. If I had to decide between both I think now I would stick with the pusher instead I dont know...
    Or maybe just having both is the best option.

My Cars
    E46 M3

Thats far more work than the volvo fan conversion.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    Thats far more work than the volvo fan conversion.
    Depends on how you define work, as my suggestion amounts to essentially using the stock BMW electric fan and radiator shroud to make essentially the Volvo setup.

If money is no object, then a few mouse clicks and a credit card or PayPal delivers a UPS box with a new Volvo fan, more or less ready to plug and play.

OTOH, since you already own the stock BMW electric fan and rad shroud, you'd only be out extra money for the fiberglass/composite materials to reinforce your rad shroud to be strong enough to reliably hold the electric fan. Then fiddle with the wiring, etc. to make it work properly.

On balance, though, a new warranted Volvo fan is probably the better plan, especially since you've already done the homework on its suitability and installation. Or, get a junkyard Volvo setup for cheap.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I got my volvo fan from the treasure yard for $17 .
    Cheap and half the work.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Depends on how you define work, as my suggestion amounts to essentially using the stock BMW electric fan and radiator shroud to make essentially the Volvo setup.

If money is no object, then a few mouse clicks and a credit card or PayPal delivers a UPS box with a new Volvo fan, more or less ready to plug and play.

OTOH, since you already own the stock BMW electric fan and rad shroud, you'd only be out extra money for the fiberglass/composite materials to reinforce your rad shroud to be strong enough to reliably hold the electric fan. Then fiddle with the wiring, etc. to make it work properly.

On balance, though, a new warranted Volvo fan is probably the better plan, especially since you've already done the homework on its suitability and installation. Or, get a junkyard Volvo setup for cheap.
    I got my volvo fan from the treasure yard for $17 .
    Cheap and half the work.
    Gotta agree with SS on this one. Similar versions of these Volvo fan/relay combos were put in a boat load of various model Volvo's over the years and should be readily and cheaply available at your local yard. Like I mentioned, I paid $10 for mine with fan/shroud/relay/harness; installation hardware was maybe another $10. I chose to buy a separate temp sensor adaptor for $16 and use a dedicated temp switch, but it's not needed. Honestly, forget about messing with a perfectly good aux fan and just go find yourself a Volvo fan. You will love it... Use my patented SAP wiring mod and you will want to marry it.
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    Gotta agree with SS on this one. Similar versions of these Volvo fan/relay combos were put in a boat load of various model Volvo's over the years and should be readily and cheaply available at your local yard. Like I mentioned, I paid $10 for mine with fan/shroud/relay/harness; installation hardware was maybe another $10. I chose to buy a separate temp sensor adaptor for $16 and use a dedicated temp switch, but it's not needed. Honestly, forget about messing with a perfectly good aux fan and just go find yourself a Volvo fan. You will love it... Use my patented SAP wiring mod and you will want to marry it.

Well, for these prices it's pretty hard to argue against your and SS' reasoning, so I concede the point.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
    Definitely follow Bimmerick's DIY, I couldn't understand why the original DIY didn't have the fan relayed into an ignition on source. I had to jump my car twice because my fan wouldn't turn off when I followed the original DIY.
    Never had issues with mine. It's been on for like 3 years now. Only real issue I've had was the sensor not switching on due to a coolant leak dropping the amount of water in the rad