Thread: Steptronic +/- Switch-a-roo: The Whole Story

My Cars
    Blown 530

Steptronic +/- Switch-a-roo: The Whole Story

Proceed with caution on this DIY. Any mistakes will be your own, and nobody else.

This DIY was spawned by two things. Knowing it can be done after seeing an incomplete DIY on another site, and my inability to adapt. The original DIY was on a 7 series with out pics. Also it never realy mentioned anything about how to change the shift pattern plate (it's covered here).

As far as my inability to adapt. For quite a few years I have tried to trick my mind into believing that forward was down shifting, and pulling back was upshifting. This is backwards from what is taught in elementary school geometry. It has to do with a four quadrant graph. The top and right being (+), and lower and left being (-). By all logic positive is forward, and negative is backward.

The early e39's were exactly this. Forward +, and backward -. Anyhoo if you want to change the pattern from one way to another. Here's how to do it. The whole story.

Tools:
    1- jewler's screw driver
    2- Shift gate with the new displayed pattern of your choosing.
    3- opposible thumb and at least two functioning fingers on that same hand
    4- that's it, nothin' else

Part one:

Disconnect the battery. Pop off the shift knob by depressing the button while in park and pulling up.

Pull up on the leather shift boot. The whole assembly should come up also as one piece.

Disconnect the 3 electrical molex connectors.

If you want to take off the shift lever boot. There are 4 tabs holding it in place. Depress two of them on the same side, and it should drop out easily.

The opposing shift gates. I got the replacement off ebay for $20. The seller said it was from a 97 525. New from the dealer expect to pay about $120

Use the jewler's screw driver to remove the 4 screws behind the shift pattern on the replacement shift gate. Gently pull up the electrical component, and the white plastic peice behind it.

Pull out your new shift pattern.

Now on the original gate that came with the car. Do the same as above to remove the pattern. Place the new pattern in the original gate that came with the car. Do this because one of the elec connectors changed slightly over the years. Still the same functions and wires. Just the plastic fitting is slightly different. Reassemble.

Part Duex:

Inside the righthand side of the cosole where the shift gate was. Locate the four pin connector. Pull it out, and un-hook it. There is not much slack in the wires.

One side of the connector has a black cover that slides to the side. Take it off. Reverse the center two wires. They should be blue and purple. Take the flathead part of the screwdriver and lightly depress as shown. The wire leads have a tiny clip built in and will slide out of the connector when depressed.

Reconnect the four pin connector. This is what actually tells the trans to shift in the desired fashion.

Put it all back together.

Turn the car on. (Don't forget the battery. Out of sight, out of mind . ) With the foot & parking brakes on test out your new DIY. The new shift direction should be displayed in the instument cluster.

FIN

My Cars
    E39 540
    Nice write up. Not sure how many stubborn people will want to do this but should be parked in DIY section IMO.

My Cars
    |e39|e30sed|e30coup|

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    i wanna buy your old one... i prefer the downshit to be forward and up shift back... we could have esentially switched... lol no pun intendedbut yeah tell me i wanna but the old switch....

My Cars
    m52 powered
    PM vacman to request this be moved to the DIY section- this is good stuff.

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    nice write up

and good work

but i don't see the point of this. no offense to you or anyone else that has done this

i know its reverse compared to other 'step' tronics...

i find its easier to up shift when driving with both hands by just naturally dropping your hand from the steering wheel and hitting the shift lever to upshift...
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
    i find its easier to up shift when driving with both hands by just naturally dropping your hand from the steering wheel and hitting the shift lever to upshift...

Some people love the way the 1-2 downshift, pull back look.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    nice write up

and good work

but i don't see the point of this. no offense to you or anyone else that has done this

i know its reverse compared to other 'step' tronics...

The point is to mod the car according to one's subjective preference.

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    i understand that...i'm simply stating my opinion
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Wow Jack thats great work and awesome pics!!!!!!!

Actually i personally prefer the way it is. I have played many video games especially flight simulators where back is climb and forward is drop. Same concept.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i sport, chevy silverado 1500
    Before I tried driving a car with steptronic, I thought that I would have the same problem, but I actually found it to be natural the way it is. Nice mod though, I'm glad that you made it work for you. props

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Great mod there. When I first got mine, I had trouble with the sportronic, also preferring it the other way around but I've gotten used to it now.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    My steptronic up-shifts pushing the shifter forward, and down-shifts pushing backward.
    My car is a 2001, but manufactured date is 2000/ 09...
    I like the way mine is.
    It's very intuitive, IMO.

Awesome write-up!
    Love it!
    Thank you!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E46 M3, E36 M3, E70 35D
    Will this work in a manual transmission car???

lol...I keed!

That is pretty slick! Well done!
    I used to have a picture of an E30 here.
    E46 M3 Vert <> E36 M3 Crew Cab Track Car <> E70 35D <> Jason's YouTube

My Cars
    2001 530d sport
    mine also upshifts when pushed forward & downshifts when pulled back ??????? build date feb 2001....cool diy though

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    i understand that...i'm simply stating my opinion
    Baaaah... gotcha

My Cars
    e39 i6
    Nice! I've always wondered why, my bro's Acura RSX is the same way, I get confused.

My Cars
    96' 300zx
    I actually like down being up, and up being down. I guess im used to the regular manuals where down is 2nd gear ect. But thats a cool DIY, wish i had Steptronic... =[

The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    PM vacman to request this be moved to the DIY section- this is good stuff.
    Thanks for the tip . I just PM'ed him

Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    Wow Jack thats great work and awesome pics!!!!!!!

Actually i personally prefer the way it is. I have played many video games especially flight simulators where back is climb and forward is drop. Same concept.
    Thanks everyone for the support.

I even tried this idea, but with little sucess. I found my self thinking too much before the shift instead of actually driving.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    diggity piggity bump-a-roo

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    nice write-up...

but elementary?... all arcade games I ever played, upshift was always pull... I get into my mothers lexus with the + forward and - pull and I always downshift instead of upshift... bah... not fun...

Also the fact that you always push to go into first and pull to go into second on a manual transmission... which is the concept on the pull + push -... push it into first then pull it for second gear...

ignore my rambling though... preference will be preference... still a nice write up in case I end up in a push + pull - so I can reverse it... lol

My Cars
    540i
    I have a 99 540i and my steptronic wiring is a tad different. Instead of the Gray/Blue/Purple/Green I have Blue/Black/Green/Gray. Should I try and swap the Blue+Black?

Any help?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Sorry to dig out an old thread. I just reverted my older 99 540, so if anyone of you "geometry logic" reasoning folks want an older faceplate mine is up for grabbin.

My Cars
    MSports
    I'm interested. The old school hot-rod way is more natural to me.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Da Beemers clear you PM's I uploaded you the file you asked and I cannot send you the link.