Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sloppy/stiff throttle pedal

My Cars
    BMW-less
    Part #s for the throttle cable and bushings for the 540i guys would be awesome.

I've been meaning to do this for the longest time. Nice to find a write up
    K&N Panel Filter/PIAA Super White Bulbs/Superblue ATE Brake & Clutch Fluid/Redline ATF fluid/Redline 75w-90 Diff Fluid/3.15 LSD/Understeer Short Shift Kit/ZHP Shift Knob/ TMS SS Brake Lines/UUC SS Clutch Line/Brembo Drilled Front Rotors/Brembo Blank Rears/ Hawk HPS F&R Pads/X-Brace/UUC F&R Sway Bars/H&R Sport Touring Cup Suspension Kit/Rear Shock Mount Reinforcement

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANUCCI E30 View Post
    dumb question time. I haven't took a look down there on my 535i. But can anyone verify if it's possibly the same procedure?
    yours is same as Fox's
    Nice write up, Fox.

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Thanks for the DIY K Fox!
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Nice write up, Fox.
    Thanks guys!! I'm glad it's helped people.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyJDM View Post
    Part #s for the throttle cable and bushings for the 540i guys would be awesome.

I've been meaning to do this for the longest time. Nice to find a write up
    You're welcome. And thanks for pointing out that I didn't have the cable part number in there, though the little bushings for the pedal arm are in there already, but for ease they're 35411154172. The cable is 35411161881 (for the 540).

Fox (has a warm fuzzy)

My Cars
    '89 320i, '94 520i
    Aaaaaw f*** yeah! Did this today and my Throttle feels so much better! None of the Parts were worn, but the grease was completely gone/ dried up. So i just cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled. Definately one of the best no-cost-things to do! Along with re-lubing the shifter-bushing on manual cars btw

My Cars
    325xiT E46
    This diy thread couldn't have came up at a better time. I had to replace my bushings as one was missing, the other almost so. Just drove car and the new bushings solved a driveability issue where the car seemed to gain speed at what was supposed to be steady throttle and even when backing off throttle.

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    I'm glad this helps people.

Fox

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Why is this not in the DIY's?

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
    Why is this not in the DIY's?

Fox

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    I'll message an Admin...

the bees knees

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    They don't seem to add DIY's into the sub-forum for some reason...this definitely belongs there though. I have also wanted my power steering hose replacement DIY in there but no beans yet.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i/6
    I did this myself a few days ago. Thanks Fox!

The car feels MUCH different now in terms of throttle response and stiffness. I wish I did it before; best 25$ I ever spent.
    1992 BMW 850i/6speed. Stock as stock can be.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Great DIY Fox, this is a must on these cars with the age. Mods move this to the DIY section please.

My Cars
    4er
    I copied this thread into the DIY section. Discussion will have to continue in this thread as there is no posting in the DIY subsection.

Thanks.
    One expensive unicycle.

General Forum Rules........Off-Topic Rules

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by MacR View Post
    I copied this thread into the DIY section. Discussion will have to continue in this thread as there is no posting in the DIY subsection.

Thanks.
    Well thank you!!

Fox (I'm flattered and glad that this helps people)

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Yay! It's in!

the bees knees

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Bringing this one back....installed a new throttle cable over the weekend, but have a question. I have my cruise control cable and accel. cable switched in the bracket at the throttle body in K-fox's pic at the beginning...any reason I should switch them around to match?

Also, I had to use up pretty much all the threads on the cable adjuster to get the cable tight, was this normal for you guys as well?

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
    Bringing this one back....installed a new throttle cable over the weekend, but have a question. I have my cruise control cable and accel. cable switched in the bracket at the throttle body in K-fox's pic at the beginning...any reason I should switch them around to match?

Also, I had to use up pretty much all the threads on the cable adjuster to get the cable tight, was this normal for you guys as well?
    Hmmm...my cables adjusted much easier it seems. Maybe try switching them around and see if that changes it - I don't know if it will, but it's a 3 minute attempt.

Fox

P.S. You do want just a hair of slack in the cable - you need to allow the TB to close fully and trip the TPS down to it's idle setting. If the cable is too tight it might not do this consistently (this is for everyone's common knowledge).

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Actually yours look like they are adjusted like mine, at the end of the threads. I did leave a little slack, though it feels like maybe I should leave a bit more because I have a harder time hitting the kick down switch (autotragic). Just seems like if the cable does become slack in the future, I won't have much thread left to tighten it back up. Let me try and switch the CC and accel positions on the bracket and see if that buys me some more....I will report back.

Anyone else able to look and see which cable is positioned in each spot?

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Just FYI, it did make a difference to have the throttle cable in the correct location (passenger side of the bracket). Unfortunately I broke the rubber grommit/bushing on the cruise control cable, guess I am ordering new aluminum bushings.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    This was the first thing I did to my e34 when I got it. Very good diy and something that most here should do as its very inexpensive

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Great write up.
    In fact...it's the ONLY one I could find!

Leave it to the fox of BF.c to offer up an important DIY.

A few notes:

1. I'm fairly positive the lack of support/bushings caused my throttle cable to BREAK right where it slips into the pedal linkage.

2. I noticed that a PREMIX of grunts/cuss words helped significantly with the install.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    One little tip, I would put the rubber bushing in the throttle body first and then put the plastic accelerator cable insert in the bushing because I did it the other way around and it was really hard trying to get the rubber grommet into the throttle hole at that point.

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Just did these items during my 540iT/6 swap. Can't wait to feel it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Argh I went full retard and only ordered one too.... I was looking at realoem and K Fox's DIY too. I need to stop working on the car. Starting to lose my sanity lol.
    P.S. RealOEM says I only need one clip but I see there are two bushings, two groove on each part where the bushing goes. Seems like there are two places for a clip. So I ordered two clips as well (with the one bushing I forgot) and will update.

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Bumping this in the spirit of helping people (nad because I recently referred to it in a post).

K Fox (guess who's back... back again)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12