Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - DISA Valve Gasket Replacement

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Dear bimmerfiver,

I am a knoob, what are the chances I will mess this up and have to sell my e39 and buy a skylark?

Skylark! I don't think you find them anymore, they all turned into cheap parts from China...

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinweib View Post
    What about the DISA o-ring?
    I have not changed the DISA O-ring on my 99 528i (M5TU) yet - only the 2001 (M54)

RealOEM does show an O-ring for my M52TU but not for the M54.

The DISA P/N for the M52TU is different from M54 so that is a caution flag.

DISA O-ring for M52TU - 11617504543 - is sold here

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11617504543/ES25713/
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 12-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    Lol $2.31 for the o-ring and $10.50 for shipping.
    Thank you for the link though

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    I just wasted $18 on getting the 140 seals from rocket seals. Those only work for m54 engines and not for m52 which i have. Both seals are available at the dealer M54# 11611437691 and M52# 11617504543. And they both are avaible from ECS tuning

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    I changed my seal but I still hear that "swoosh" sound comign from the DISA when revin the engine.

is there another place in the Disa that needs to be sealed /

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by piojorod View Post
    I just wasted $18 on getting the 140 seals from rocket seals. Those only work for m54 engines and not for m52 which i have. Both seals are available at the dealer M54# 11611437691 and M52# 11617504543. And they both are avaible from ECS tuning
    I think the part # you posted for the M54 Disa valve O-ring might be the wrong one, because it looks green...
    Part number: 11 611 437 691
    http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...01%20437%20691

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by piojorod View Post
    Sorry to hear that - You must have missed my post (#27) above indicating M52 DISA o-rings are different from M54.

Additionally, the P/N you provide for M54 (11611437691) is actually for M44
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=&series=E36

Realoem does not have a P/N for the M54 DISA o-ring - hence the value of bimmerfiver's original post in this thread for M54 owners

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    i got my M52TU DISA o-ring from my local shop that received it from BMW at the astronomically high price of $2.61, and it is indeed green.

Thank you Mahmoud for posting the correct P/N for me

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinweib View Post
    i got my M52TU DISA o-ring from my local shop that received it from BMW at the astronomically high price of $2.61, and it is indeed green.

Thank you Mahmoud for posting the correct P/N for me
    My pleasure - Glad to hear you were able to get it at a good price

Did you install it? What was the condition of your old one and did the new one make a difference on your M52TU?

My Cars
    e46 330i
    I have P0171 and P0174 codes. Already replaced the intake boots, but the code came back after 100 miles or so. I am thinking about replacing the DISA o-ring.

Anybody has a spare that would like to sell? Please pm if so...
    Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
    HellrotDove Grey e36///M3 - RIP
    Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
    Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
    Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmoudh View Post
    My pleasure - Glad to hear you were able to get it at a good price

Did you install it? What was the condition of your old one and did the new one make a difference on your M52TU?
    Haven't installed it yet. I'll be doing that probably next week when I do my vanos seals and throttle body gasket. I'll post back when I've completed the job.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
    I have P0171 and P0174 codes. Already replaced the intake boots, but the code came back after 100 miles or so. I am thinking about replacing the DISA o-ring.

Anybody has a spare that would like to sell? Please pm if so...
    Do smoke test on engine.
    No more thinking or guessing.
    Find the cause and source of running-lean aka vacuum leak.
    Then re-read the thread.
    See how some e39 engine's DISA valve o-rings are available at dealership.
    See how M54 DISA valve o-ring is available at Rocket Seals.
    Then purchase o-ring from dealer, on-line or directly from Rocket Seals.

It's silly to randomly replace things while hunting P0171 and P0174. I had those identical codes...and...guess what it was? My CCV (crank case vent valve). This is not my thread, but read it (and understand how it flowed pun intended and how when jlevie speaks YOU LISTEN):

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1644431

My intention of this thread was three-fold:

1). If you are doing your CCV, you have to remove your DISA Valve...and you better/best have a new DISA o-ring in-hand/in-stock. When doing your CVV I also have a thread in the DIY Section above regarding Air Intake Boot as well as the Air Distribution Piece. When doing the CCV I would replace all.

2). If by chance someone has only a DISA Valve o-ring leak, they'd know how to handle it very easily and inexpensively. Again, this thread distinguishes the o-rings and where to buy.

3). If someone at say 75K/100K miles decides to preventatively tackle things like cleaning their ICV Valve, replacing a Throttle Body gasket, replacing intake boots, assorted vacuum hoses that attach to the boot and run behind the engine...which then re-connect near the pre-cat 02 sensors (hint-hint)...they would include a $2.00 and ten minute DISA o-ring.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    '16 F82 M4 Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    1). Purchased new gaskets (o-ring) from company in Colorado: http://www.rocketseals.com/
    2). See photo below, the proper gasket for the M54 is size #140 gasket. Purchase it in VITON (material made for high/low temps and chemical resistance).
    3). Gasket costs under $2.70 each, you only need one, see here for specs of VITON: http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/o...n-core-o-rings
    I just ordered these, but was not sure if you specified the encapsulated o-rings (shown in the link) or standard viton 0-rings (not encapsulated), so I ordered both. Which should I use when they arrive? I assume the non-encapsulated, but is there a problem using the encapsulated?
    '05 330Ci ZHP

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhox View Post
    I just ordered these, but was not sure if you specified the encapsulated o-rings (shown in the link) or standard viton 0-rings (not encapsulated), so I ordered both. Which should I use when they arrive? I assume the non-encapsulated, but is there a problem using the encapsulated?
    Please see post # 18.***

Good luck to you.

*** = In post # 18 I stress and urge and demand you use the VITON version and why? Read all of below and focus on the red.

Encapsulated PTFE w/ Viton Core O-Rings

Perfect for sealing corrosive fluids. Made with a PTFE coating that makes them virtually impervious to most solvents and chemicals. Extremely low coefficient of friction and excellent resistance to taking a set after compression, makes them ideal for static sealing application. The resin in PTFE meets L-P-389A and ASTM D-2116 requirements, and is FDA compliant. Offers greater chemical resistance than PTFE-encapsulated silicone and is recommended for long-term sealing. Durometer is Shore A: 75; temperature range is -65 to 400/500F.

My Cars
    '16 F82 M4 Comp
    In this post you say to use the Viton "version":

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Please see post # 18.***

Good luck to you.

*** = In post # 18 I stress and urge and demand you use the VITON version and why? Read all of below and focus on the red.

Encapsulated PTFE w/ Viton Core O-Rings

Perfect for sealing corrosive fluids. Made with a PTFE coating that makes them virtually impervious to most solvents and chemicals. Extremely low coefficient of friction and excellent resistance to taking a set after compression, makes them ideal for static sealing application. The resin in PTFE meets L-P-389A and ASTM D-2116 requirements, and is FDA compliant. Offers greater chemical resistance than PTFE-encapsulated silicone and is recommended for long-term sealing. Durometer is Shore A: 75; temperature range is -65 to 400/500F.
    In post #18 you say to use "Viton":

2). The proper gasket for the M54 is size #140 gasket. Purchase a # 140 o-ring (buy several to stock yourself) in "VITON".

Your link described the PTFE coating but also differentiates Viton from Silicone. I got a little confused. The PFTE coated version was back ordered so i only bought the Viton o-ring. That should still work, correct?
    '05 330Ci ZHP

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    I have not changed the DISA O-ring on my 99 528i (M5TU) yet - only the 2001 (M54)

Update: installed the disa o-ring on my m52-tu and the p/n was correct. Thank you Mahmoud! And I also replaced the giant o-ring at the junction of the MAF and air box. Mine was very flat on both articular edges. It seals much better now

As for the condition of my disa o-ring, it was flat and shrunken and definitely didn't appear to be sealing too well. I havent noticed too much of a difference but the idle seems to have smoothed out a little more. After I replace my CCV it should be rock solid.
    Last edited by alpinweib; 01-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    e39 530i, e28 535i, e32
    Now instead of purchasing from Rocket Seals and going through the quoting process only to find a high shipping price... Amazon (of all places) sells the size 140 seals in 10 packs for only $8.61 with free Prime shipping or if you buy more than $25 worth of stuff.

link

I thought this might seem useful to someone. I'm buying a 10 pack. Feel free to PM me if you want to buy one for $1.44.
    Last edited by waehrik; 01-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Jason,
    The ones from the link Keith posted fit perfectly and are very good quality. (They are a bit tight at first - alternate tightening screws to pull in slowly)

Rough idle can be caused by many things - Does your cause a CEL?
    My factory DISA o-ring on the 2001 was worn flat but did not cause codes.
    My car idled, responded and pulled better after the replacement but I also changed TB gasket, cleaned ICV and MAF and reseated intake boots at the same time.

The M54 DISA O-ring is part of the DISA valve. This is why the O-ring is not sold separatly. Also a brand new M54 DISA valve has the DISA O-ring FLAT from factory, with A THIN LIP on it that will fit into a groove inside the DISA body.
    An O-ring like one Keith used, will fill the flat O-ring void (after you scoop the old one out) AND the groove.
    I think this piece of crap engineering was purposly build like that because of the flapper issue. If you change the O-ring expecting another 100k out of the DISA, the pin will land into the engine (because the flapper will break due to the poor design).
    The safe bet is to
    -either buy a new DISA (which is expensive
    -do Keith's O-ring change, but then keep your eyes and especially your ears peeled for abnormal noises/codes (the elusive P0174 & P0171 - check DISA FIRST if you have a M54 engine)
    -hope for the new engineered DISA repair kit which will might be available from a member from the "other" forum (I know I will).

The OEM M54 DISA O-ring is flat from factory (plus the little rib for the groove, which will be shaved off when you remove the unit)
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    '16 F82 M4 Comp
    FOR SALE -- I have an extra gasket from the company described in the original post for an M54. Just installed one on my 2005 330Ci and it fit perfectly. Mine is in the basic viton (not the encapsulted version described at the original link) and will work and perform just fine.

$10.00 via Paypal

First to send me a personal message so that I can get you my Paypal address gets it dropped into the mail to them the next day.
    '05 330Ci ZHP

My Cars
    02 540iT,03 525iT,90 MX5
    just called rocketseals, they want $10 each with minimum order of 8 seals.

besides the basic silicone, any other alternatives that are cheaper than $80?

My Cars
    '16 F82 M4 Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by slantyboy View Post

Look one post up. I can sell you my extra one.
    '05 330Ci ZHP

My Cars
    02 540iT,03 525iT,90 MX5
    i haven't reached my post limit to personal message you

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Hello all:

I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who posted helpful comments here and other posts on BF regarding the DISA valve. I would like to share with you my personal experience. I tested my ticking DISA and realized the part was bad. I ordered a new one and when i removed my old one, the pin was hanging off the part and almost fill into the intake, my free advice:

PULL VERY SLOWLY ON THE DISA IF YOU THINK THE PART IS BAD, DO NOT RISK IT FALLING IN WHEN YOU ARE REPLACING THE PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents, i read on BF to pull slowly, but I didnt and it was alomost the biggest mistake.

Hope this helps remind others!!

AL

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by slantyboy View Post

This is unacceptable.
    I am going to call Rocket Seals on Monday and discuss your post with them. I am Bimmerfiver, I wear Allen Edmonds Presidio shoes, confer with OnTheFence regarding style, I will be running for Presidency in 2024 and nobody gets over on me; I am both shocked and angry to read your post as I am Mr. Rocket Seals who found them and their gaskets. I can just as easily locate the identical seals for $1.50 each, with either no minimum or minor.

If what you say is true and you are correct, you haven't been smoking dope or you aren't mistaken, I will personally and professionally address this on Monday with Rocket Seals. Is a minimum order fair? Yes. Is a million-percent increase fair on price? No.

Capitalism and Mr. Bimmerfiver will get involved on Monday. If you would like to, I suggest you send me a PM with complete details, who you spoke with, precisely what was said and what you ate for lunch that day. I have a dog in this fight and my teeth are always sharp. Nobody puts baby in a corner and nobody pushed e39 DISA's around. In your PM include your SHIP TO address. I believe I have an extra DISA o-ring and I will mail it to you for free.

EDIT: On Amazon here is a 5-pack for $6.68 total:

http://www.amazon.com/Viton--Ring-Du...6509677&sr=1-3

And GRAINGER has a 10 pack for under $8.00 total:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ORing-1BYN3
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 01-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.

My Cars
    '02 525i, '72 TR6. '32 Ford coupe
    The shipping is what gets me. In any half decent size city you should be able to find a supplier of O rings. My supplier was out of stock, had one shipped overnight from the other side of the country and still only charged me $1.25.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast