Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - DISA Valve Gasket Replacement

My Cars
    2003 525i

DIY - DISA Valve Gasket Replacement

1). Purchased new gaskets (o-ring) from company in Colorado: http://www.rocketseals.com/
    2). See photo below, the proper gasket for the M54 is size #140 gasket. Purchase it in VITON (material made for high/low temps and chemical resistance).
    3). Gasket costs under $2.70 each, you only need one, see here for specs of VITON: http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/o...n-core-o-rings

NEEDS:

1). Torx T40 bit with drive and extension.
    3). Flathead screwdriver.
    4). Pocket knife of pick of some sort to remove old gasket.
    5). Butterfly Valve Cleaner Spray and rag.
    6). 15 minutes.

CAUSE:

1). In the pursuit of perfect vacuum, this gasket is overlooked. I used some Black RTV several times (you have to remove the DISA each time you do the CCV and I've had 3 new CCV's in my car within it's 138K miles).
    2). The existing gasket will be totally flat, shot and hardended like a rock. It will not want to come off...you will have to be patient, remove it slowly and create the groove for the new one to reside within.
    3). Follow the pics below...unclip the connector at the DISA (it's a metal clip HIDDEN behind it).
    4). Remove the air intake for more room to work.
    5). Remove the two T40 bolts that hold the DISA in.
    6). Spray down the DISA liberally after the old gasket is removed.
    7). Easily install the new VITON #140 gasket in it's groove onto the DISA.
    8). Install DISA and walk it in as the new gasket is beefy and you want to PULL the DISA in just like you would a valve cover gasket or tranny gasket etc. Walk it in, tightening the two bolts a few turns at a time. Make very snug.
    9). Reconnect the DISA electrical connection, air intake and completed.

RESULTS:

I could indeed see that my existing gasket was useless and the Black RTV I used was very temporary as it was NOT sealing in 360*. My car did not have a Check Engine Light, but at idle, the engine's RPM's seemed slightly higher than normal and slightly uneven. Nobody would notice except you, the e39 owner and daily driver...you would notice it on your car. My engine is calmer at idle. My engine's RPM's don't budge one iota and she seems quieter at idle too.

PICS:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Final PICS:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2008 335i, 2001e39(sold)
    Good post. Just replaced mine, wish I'd known about the replacement gaskets. Brothernlaws 330 needs it though, this will save him $220.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by leeuga11 View Post
    Good post. Just replaced mine, wish I'd known about the replacement gaskets. Brothernlaws 330 needs it though, this will save him $220.
    Loud DISA valves are a sign they are kaput. Catastrophic failure of a DISA can be a nightmare as it's parts are sucked into the intake.

When you remove your brothernlaw's, observe it to see it's healthy, not cracked and whole. Then rotate the flap to feel if it's resistance is healthy, it should have resistance.

If it's healthy, clean it, drap it with a new # 140 VITON o-ring for $2.70 and enjoy!

Just drove my car and she is back to silky smooth and happy. Well worth the 15 minutes and three bucks.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    If poolman posts in this thread and pm's me his address, I will mail him a DISA valve o-ring.

Next up, the throttle body o-ring I kept meaning to-do.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Loud DISA valves are a sign they are kaput. Catastrophic failure of a DISA can be a nightmare as it's parts are sucked into the intake.

When you remove your brothernlaw's, observe it to see it's healthy, not cracked and whole. Then rotate the flap to feel if it's resistance is healthy, it should have resistance.

If it's healthy, clean it, drap it with a new # 140 VITON o-ring for $2.70 and enjoy!

Just drove my car and she is back to silky smooth and happy. Well worth the 15 minutes and three bucks.

Thanks for the excellent post with the specs and link on where to get good replacement DISA O-rings.

Just ran into this doc on the M54 engine.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/m54x5.pdf

It details the DISA valve operation on pages 41-44 and how a leaky close at idle and low rpms can affect stability.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Note to james, this thread should be in the DIY Section above.

My Cars
    '97 M3, '01 530i, '02 M5
    Just to add to this. I was getting a lean error on the wifes 530i. I searched for leaks for quite some time w/o luck. On a lark I pulled the Disa (it was fine mechanically) and saw the gasket was as fiver described. I never saw a leak issue when I sprayed that area with carb cleaner, etc, but I figured I would get an o-ring and replace regardless sit it didn't seem to fit very tight. That was probably over a thousand miles ago and the error (P0174 if memory serves) hasn't returned (note: it would faithfully return after a 100 or so miles every time I cleared it).

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    One more thing I need to do...

Does the dealer sell the Disa o-ring gasket?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    One more thing I need to do...

Does the dealer sell the Disa o-ring gasket?
    1). If the dealer sold them, we'd all be purchasing from the dealer. Dealer sells New Disas only (so a $2.00 issue becomes a $140.00 cost lol).
    2). The dealer nor anyone, not even Kirby the BMW Elf has them.
    3). The entire thrust of the thread pertains to # 1 and # 2.
    4). Therfore, as mahmoudh just did, go to the First Post in this thread, click on on the links and purchase the proper o-rings. This o-ring is one of the easiest, most fun and beneficial things I did. I mean, for $2.00, I never had it so good. Typically problems with our cars are much more costly or take a ton of time. The reason I made this thread is there are too many people out there a). unaware of this vacuum leak b). replacing the entire DISA when they do stumble upon it.

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    so assuming i have a 2000 528i with rough idle, might this be part of the problem?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    1). If the dealer sold them, we'd all be purchasing from the dealer. Dealer sells New Disas only (so a $2.00 issue becomes a $140.00 cost lol).
    2). The dealer nor anyone, not even Kirby the BMW Elf has them.
    3). The entire thrust of the thread pertains to # 1 and # 2.
    4). Therfore, as mahmoudh just did, go to the First Post in this thread, click on on the links and purchase the proper o-rings. This o-ring is one of the easiest, most fun and beneficial things I did. I mean, for $2.00, I never had it so good. Typically problems with our cars are much more costly or take a ton of time. The reason I made this thread is there are too many people out there a). unaware of this vacuum leak b). replacing the entire DISA when they do stumble upon it.
    Thank you sir!
    I was thinking about this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=513198&page=3
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 11-28-2011 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Thank you sir!
    I was thinking about this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=513198&page=3
    Jason,
    I paid an ebay seller for these o-rings a few months ago but never received them - was eventually reimbursed after reporting transaction as fraud.

The ones from the link Keith posted fit perfectly and are very good quality. (They are a bit tight at first - alternate tightening screws to pull in slowly)

Quote Originally Posted by alpinweib View Post
    so assuming i have a 2000 528i with rough idle, might this be part of the problem?
    Rough idle can be caused by many things - Does your cause a CEL?
    My factory DISA o-ring on the 2001 was worn flat but did not cause codes.
    My car idled, responded and pulled better after the replacement but I also changed TB gasket, cleaned ICV and MAF and reseated intake boots at the same time.
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 11-30-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Just wanna say two things:

1). This thread should be in the DIY Section. Replacing this o-ring *should be* preventative. Let me say it again, if you own an e39 and you're reading this, you should replace this o-ring. It will also force you to clean your DISA valve with Butterfly Cleaner Spray. You will be be able to judge, with your hands, the health of that flap. Is it shot? Smooth? You can also if you choose, take another five minutes and clean your ICV Valve. Your MAF could use a cleaning once a year. Heck it'll force you to touch and feel your intake booth for leaks as well as the off-shooting hose to the ICV. I even replaced the small 1/4" vacuum hoses in that region (BMW Fuel Hose fyi). You can replace your DISA o-ring in two minutes. Or even dig down further and clean your throttle body flap.

2). mahmoudh and I have met twice. He bought both my Blizzak WS-70 and Pilot Sport tires from me. I switched to mad-hardcore winter tires (Gislaved Nordfrost 5 which have grizzly bears imprinted on them and I think of Gumbi when I see a bear). In the Springtime I will buy some 17" rims and tires.

Meantime, I wish mahmoudh all the knowledge the Forum can offer him and he'll be certain to share his wide, deep perspectives on e39-wrenching. Lastly, ask mahmoudh if you choose, he can tell you firsthand two things: my car is the Millenium Falcon and he can also tell you how dapper, charming and handsome bimmerfiver truly is. Or at least one of three.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 11-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Are you using the PFTE encapsulated with Viton core rings or the Viton rings? If the Viton, which durometer?
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    Rough idle can be caused by many things - Does you get a CEL?
    My factory o-ring on the 2001 was worn flat but did not cause codes.
    My car idled, responded and pulled better after the replacement but I also changed TB gasket, cleaned ICV and MAF and reseated intake boots at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yea i do have a CEL that has something to with the intake side of the engine. How easy is it to change the TB gasket?
    Last edited by alpinweib; 11-29-2011 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Are you using the PFTE encapsulated with Viton core rings or the Viton rings? If the Viton, which durometer?
    I used the Viton 75 which were in stock - the PTFE was a special order.
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 11-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Nobody seems to want to click on links which bring you to the promised land. Peoples, in post # 1 there are links. Click and read about the o-rings. I do not blame you at all for wanting to know about them.

To answer your durometer question, it's a 75.

Here are the specs:

http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/o...n-core-o-rings

The resin in PTFE meets L-P-389A and ASTM D-2116 requirements, and is FDA compliant.
    Offers greater chemical resistance than PTFE-encapsulated silicone and is recommended for long-term sealing.
    Durometer is Shore A: 75
    temperature range is -65 to 400/500F.
    Use AS-568A Industry Standards for sizing, or call for assistance. As 568 is the Aerospace size standard for O-rings from the Society of Automotive Engineers.(S.A.E.)

1). Call (303) 777-7024.

2). The proper gasket for the M54 is size #140 gasket. Purchase a # 140 o-ring (buy several to stock yourself) in "VITON".

3). Install FTW.

4). Profit.

Encapsulated PTFE w/ Viton Core O-Rings

Perfect for sealing corrosive fluids. Made with a PTFE coating that makes them virtually impervious to most solvents and chemicals. Extremely low coefficient of friction and excellent resistance to taking a set after compression, makes them ideal for static sealing application. The resin in PTFE meets L-P-389A and ASTM D-2116 requirements, and is FDA compliant. Offers greater chemical resistance than PTFE-encapsulated silicone and is recommended for long-term sealing. Durometer is Shore A: 75; temperature range is -65 to 400/500F. Use AS-568A Industry Standards for sizing, or call for assistance. As 568 is the Aerospace size standard for O-rings from the Society of Automotive Engineers.(S.A.E.) If you can’t find something you’re looking for, give us a call at (303) 777-7024.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 11-29-2011 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i

Yea i do have a CEL that has something to with the intake side of the engine. How easy is it to change the TB gasket?
    Do you recall the code?
    Depending on your mechanical skills, the TB gasket is a relatively easy DIY but requires removing a few things (Intake Boots, ICV, etc) to get to it.

Just wanna say two things:

1). This thread should be in the DIY Section. Replacing this o-ring *should be* preventative. Let me say it again, if you own an e39 and you're reading this, you should replace this o-ring. It will also force you to clean your DISA valve with Butterfly Cleaner Spray. You will be be able to judge, with your hands, the health of that flap. Is it shot? Smooth? You can also if you choose, take another five minutes and clean your ICV Valve. Your MAF could use a cleaning once a year. Heck it'll force you to touch and feel your intake booth for leaks as well as the off-shooting hose to the ICV. I even replaced the small 1/4" vacuum hoses in that region (BMW Fuel Hose fyi). You can replace your DISA o-ring in two minutes. Or even dig down further and clean your throttle body flap.

2). mahmoudh and I have met twice. He bought both my Blizzak WS-70 and Pilot Sport tires from me. I switched to mad-hardcore winter tires (Gislaved Nordfrost 5 which have grizzly bears imprinted on them and I think of Gumbi when I see a bear). In the Springtime I will buy some 17" rims and tires.

Meantime, I wish mahmoudh all the knowledge the Forum can offer him and he'll be certain to share his wide, deep perspectives on e39-wrenching. Lastly, ask mahmoudh if you choose, he can tell you firsthand two things: my car is the Millenium Falcon and he can also tell you how dapper, charming and handsome bimmerfiver truly is. Or at least one of three.
    Keith, your posts probably say more about you than I can from our 2 meetings but for the record, you are a classy dude with high standards and great attention to detail - all assets to this BMW community.
    Not really a Star Wars person but your "Millennium Falcon" and the way you look and interact in person confirm my impressions above.
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 11-29-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmoudh View Post
    Jason,
    I paid an ebay seller for these o-rings a few months ago but never received them - was eventually reimbursed after reporting transaction as fraud.

The ones from the link Keith posted fit perfectly and are very good quality. (They are a bit tight at first - alternate tightening screws to pull in slowly)
    Thanks!
    I have faith the stuff that BimmerFiver posted were the real deal.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    I'll check the code again soon and post it. Im thinking I could change the TB gasket fairly easily. I have changed the valve cover gasket twice and that was kind of a pain the first time. Not so much the second time.

I'm also wondering if this o-ring you guys are talking about would work for the M52tu as well? I'm noticing you all have M54s

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    I'll check the code again soon and post it. Im thinking I could change the TB gasket fairly easily. I have changed the valve cover gasket twice and that was kind of a pain the first time. Not so much the second time.

I'm also wondering if this o-ring you guys are talking about would work for the M52tu as well? I'm noticing you all have M54s
    I have an M52TU and thought the TB gasket was the same as on the M54 (even bought it for the car) but checking RealOEM.com with the VIN for my 99 528, it shows a different P/N.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=13&fg=15
    Last edited by mahmoudh; 11-30-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Correction

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    What about the DISA o-ring?

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    mod
    why it was not moved into E39 Common Problems and DIY Fixes ?
    do it please

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Dear bimmerfiver,

I am a knoob, what are the chances I will mess this up and have to sell my e39 and buy a skylark?
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast