Thread: Winter tires vs worn summer tires

My Cars
    1995 325is

Winter tires vs worn summer tires

So which is the lesser evil. I went to get my tires changed over today and they told me legally they can't change them because they are so worn. So since im broke for at least the next 2 months should I leave my snows on or swap in the summers on my own.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    So which is the lesser evil. I went to get my tires changed over today and they told me legally they can't change them because they are so worn. So since im broke for at least the next 2 months should I leave my snows on or swap in the summers on my own.
    huh? Find a competent tire shop. If anything they should change them for you since they're so low on tread.

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    Neither. Your winters will wear very fast in warm weather. Get a job or something.

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
    huh? Find a competent tire shop. If anything they should change them for you since they're so low on tread.
    the summer tires are the ones that are worn. I start my new job next month the job market is rough man i've been out of work for a while. So anyone care to tell me which would be better? Driving on snows up until mid june or swap in my old summer tires myself and drive on those for a couple months.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Find a place that sells used tires and see if you can swing a deal that includes mounting. All you need is something with at least 30% tread left. If your summers are worn past the point of failing state inspection most places aren't allowed to mount them. Your money will be just as tight next winter. If you can get those winter tires off now you'll thank yourself when the snow starts to fly again. Those winters will feel like old sponges if you leave them on but if that's your only option? Do what you have to

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Unless you have a tire machine in your back pocket, you won't be swapping tires yourself, unless they're on different wheels.

Don't drive on the tires if they're so bad that the tire store doesn't want to use them. You're asking for trouble. Just drive on your snows, but be prepared to not have snows for next winter, depending on how they wear and how much you drive.

A lot of tire stores sell used tires. The ones up here usually run $20-30 per tire.
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Yeah I have two sets of wheels so I guess I'll search around for some used tires. This place quoted me at 500-700

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    I just use All-season performance tires. Mine are Sumitomo tires. Cost me $450. Mounted, balance, road hazard. Tread wear rating 340, AA traction.
    eBay longtube headers, CAI, cat-back exhuast
    angel eyes, projector headlights
    fog light, low beam-12,000k hi beam 8,000k
    FDM, water pump metal impeller

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by odm4286 View Post
    Yeah I have two sets of wheels so I guess I'll search around for some used tires. This place quoted me at 500-700
    If you have two sets of wheels, you can EASILY get 4 tires, with over 70% tire tread for less than $2oo ... what do you need? 225/50/16/17 ?? Use a local craigs/kiji.

Buy them used for as cheap as possible, and then get em installed for 10-15 a tire. Thats how it works down here ..........

My Cars
    1995 325is
    I think their cheapest tire was $130 and that was for my smaller front tires

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Around here we a place that gets all the take offs from a local bone yard, start with the bone yards and go from there.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I never had any luck at junk yards when it came to tires. Very few complete sets and most of them are garbage.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I've bought several wheel + tire sets off Cragslist for $200ish. None of the tires were less than 70%, and I got good wheels each time (which is what I bought them for anyway). some people just have too many sets lying around that they need out of their garage, and will practically pay you to take them off their hands.

My Cars
    1997 E36 328i
    get some junk yard tires just for now and replace them when you have enough cash. we have those kinda shops sell "junk tires" for 20 bucks each. Safety is always the most important thing.

My Cars
    e36 m3, turbo e36
    www.bestusedtires.com They are local to me and have always been great and good prices.

-sold...replaced by turbo e36

My Cars
    2003 540iA MSport
    Agreed on all of this. I've run used tires on my 300ZXTT, my A4, and several other car's with no issues, and local to me are 3-4 guys that sell 17s for $20/tire. I was getting 18" PZeros for $45 each in 285-30. You can easily reshoe your car for $100 buying used tires and they'll be perfectly fine.