Thread: new BMW owner and im having issues with my stereo

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL

new BMW owner and im having issues with my stereo

So im a new BMW owner and im having issues with my stereo. I have the 2001 740 il and the internal sensor was set off by me leaving my phone on vibrate. Apparently its a very sensitive alarm. Was told i could de-activate the internal sensor by click the lock button then clicking it again. The problem is that now my car stereo is not working. the screen still works and the nav function as well. even the voice on the nav can be heard. this happened twice. the first time the guy i bought it from had a code but i lost it and he didn't save it i guess. So im being told i now have to pull out the radio to get the serial number from the back and have to call the dealership to get the code. Can anyone help me with a short cut. This seems very excessive for just a radio. Any help would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    And the Car Audio & Electronics sub board was no help at all?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    The people in the e38 forum here would definitely know how to answer this one. Heres a link: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=274

To me it sounds like you have a bad amp. I highly doubt your issue with the alarm is connected to your radio issue. Do the tape deck or CD player work?

I will definitely agree that the internal motion sensor in these cars are insanely sensitive. The pushing the lock button twice feature disables the internal motion sensor and the tilt sensor.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL
    well this is the 2nd time this problem has happened and both times the alarm went off the radio disabled its self and no musical aspect of the unit works. the first time my friend i bought it off of found a four digit code that reset the radio. i had set it off by not shutting off the internal sensor and left the dog in the car. i didn't write down the code and neither did he. so the second time i left my phone on vibrate and that set it off. so now i'm up shits creek. lol