Thread: Proud E36 owner looking for an Audi A4

My Cars
    Hellrot

Proud E36 owner looking for an Audi A4

I have a 95 325i (stock)
    and will keep this car another 6 years or indefinetely if I can swap in a 3.0 even and a new drivetrain.

the reason for this post:

Thinking about getting a used Audi for my brother in the near future. I got my e36 w/ over 100k miles and and happy with it, very user friendly (some small and some big problems that I experienced and changed myself).

But, is the Audi A4 96-01 a good option. He does not want another e36 just because I have one (very stupid if you ask me).

Are the audi a4 from 96-01 reliable cars, do they handle as well as my 325i, stop well? accelerate well?
    especially if a used one would most likely have around 100k miles on the clock?

I have always heard about Audi's havng electrical problems. But rumors and misinformation have a way of spreading like wildfire.

Thanks in advance guys, open to suggestions

My Cars
    '93 325i Alpinweiß II
    i have a 93 325i and my little bro has an A4... go figure. Its a 98 5 spd quattro w/ a 2.8. Reeeaaaal nice, being a BMW enthusiast im sworn to hate audi and everything they stand for, but it is a great car. It has 60k on it and i think that his was an isolated incident, but 1k mi after he got it the clutch went. The $tealer gave him a hard time honoring the warranty b/c he's a kid and treated him like shit (BTW it was about $1,000 to fix the clutch). Eventually they reibursed him. Otherwise it handles excellent and we've had it up to 120 -130 on the freeway killing ricers and havent had any other problems. What i like more about my 325 is that i get more feedback through the brake pedal and steering. My car just seems more nimble. I like how my clutch engages much better too. His suspension seems soft, but then again i dont have a stock suspension. When we go out to run our cars on country highways w/ hairpins he keeps up very well despite the fact he hasnt been driving as long as me. So it handles the twisties just as well as my car, but im sure the quattro helps. $15g's when he got it, it had 50k on the clock. Hope that helps
    Tet

My Cars
    Hellrot
    thanks

So its is very much like the e36.
    another german import in the family will provide for a very nice alternative once in a while.

Anyone have anything on the 1.8t
    How about anything prone to failure.

I know looking at every e36 review as an unsuspecting consumer you will not find out about the common subframe failure that is a costly repair (occuring in earlier e36's)
    ANything I should look out for in the A4, started in 96, shooting for a 98 or newer to reduce the number of bugs from the factory.
    How will thier turbos stand up over time? Tranny? What are their stealer/aftermarket prices like. An e36 auto/6-speed can be had for around 500/1000 minus repair, how about the a4?

Thx

My Cars
    '93 325i Alpinweiß II
    i know my bro has trouble finding anything aftermarket for his car. the dealer prices are a rip off find a good independent mechanic, he was in an accident and cracked his oil pan somehow (along w/ the entire cooling system, hood and grill), all in all it was about a $1500-$2000 fix from a private mech/body shop. the dealer was going to charge a lot for the oil pan (cause the independent mech. couldnt get it) and then to put it on would have bankrupt my brother so he found one online and installed it himself, that was pretty easy surprisingly. but as far as reliability, he's only had it a year and he's been in two accidents so it hasnt been driven all that much, but considering his abuse its held up nicely.
    Tet

My Cars
    Yes
    alright. If u get a an audi a4, get a 99.5-now 1.8t. The turbos were revised not to fail after 6/99. I have a 2002 1.8t and it has 35xxx miles and it has so many problems already its crazy. It needed temp sensor, vaccum hoses, speakers blew, new throttle body, new brake light, new instrumnet cluster. I have it all covered under warrenty. It is not as reliable as my 325is with 90k miles.

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Originally posted by mpower325
    alright. If u get a an audi a4, get a 99.5-now 1.8t. The turbos were revised not to fail after 6/99. I have a 2002 1.8t and it has 35xxx miles and it has so many problems already its crazy. It needed temp sensor, vaccum hoses, speakers blew, new throttle body, new brake light, new instrumnet cluster. I have it all covered under warrenty. It is not as reliable as my 325is with 90k miles.
    I've been hearing the same about the A4 1.8t's. They've got good potential but lots more little issues. With the turbo, the lower the milage the better...and I'd stay away from any modified car.

The E36 is hard to beat for the $$.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Yeah, if you're going to get an Audi, I recommend a 1999.5+. Also, opt for the 1.8T if you plan on modding. A cheap chip will give you 240ft.lbs. of torque! I used to have a 2001.5 Audi and I loved it. But as soon as I drove my new 1997 M3/2, I fell in love and wondered how I ever got an Audi to begin with.

Audis don't feel as strong/solid as a BMW. The interior is pretty nice but I had a lot of electrical problems. But then again, I did some MAJOR electrical work on it (aftermarket mods, etc.). See sig for pics.

If you need more help, just ask. I used to be a regular at the Audi boards (www.audizine.com). Good luck!

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    2016 M4
    Try vwvortex and look under the classified ads. You might find something that you like in there.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    thanks guys

From the looks of it a 99.5+ audi will run very high in the pocket book. Would rather get an older 96-99 non turbo, but, it seems like what I have heard are true. Audi's are very problamatic.

My Cars
    E60
    My buddy has a 99 1.8t 5 speed with about 50k salvage title cause the seats were taken.New ones were put in. He is selling it for 11k Ill get some pics for you.
    all stock
    EUROPROJEKTZ-WORLD.COM
    www.KCollection.org

My Cars
    94-325i
    But non turbo doesn't have capable for mode. get 1.8T and then change to bigger turbo and and the chip => compare to M3.

Originally posted by Blazin95Red325i
    thanks guys

From the looks of it a 99.5+ audi will run very high in the pocket book. Would rather get an older 96-99 non turbo, but, it seems like what I have heard are true. Audi's are very problamatic.

My Cars
    325is 94
    my mother in law has a 96 2.8q 5 sp
    it is very heavy compared to my 94 325is
    it also seems to have less torque bu tthat couild be due to the drive train losses.
    it is a fast car and pleasant to drive but it is not a fun car.
    I was going to buy one but I drove my 3 series ond found I liked it much better. latlty teh audi has a very long cluth throw. making it hard to drive fast compared to a bmw with a cluthc stop.
    scott Freedman 94 325is tons of miles in Grun frosch (froggy green) :krakrani:

My Cars
    Yes
    edit my a4 is a 2000 1.8t w/ 35xxx. I got it w/ the warrenty for 15.3k