Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: wax on bmw e46 exterior trim.

My Cars
    2002 e46 m3 hardtop vert

wax on bmw e46 exterior trim.

Hey guys, I have an 04 e46 330xi. it obviously has that black trim on the outside... a few days ago i decided to wax my car and accidentally got some wax on that stupid little trim ( which is soooo easy to soil) so know it has a little bit of a white wax look to it... what can i do to get it off of the trim?!?!? any really easy solutions to make it look like new?!

- Phil.

My Cars
    2004 330i
    I've heard of some people using peanut butter to clean the black trim but i just use armor all. It makes it have a deep shine and cleans some oxidation off.

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    I've had good luck with forever black trim dye. About a year on my trim now and still looks like new. Maybe every 4-6 weeks if that, I use some Mcguiars Natural Shine to give it a good look and UV protection.

Maybe try a little goof off or similar to get the old wax off. I'm sure the pros here have a good method.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    2000 honda accord
    Pick up a gallon of Zep Citrus Degreaser from HomeDepot for 10.50 and dilute it 10:1. Afterwards pick up a bottle of Poorboys Trim Restorer from detailedimage.com or autogeek.net. Should be good in no time.

My Cars
    2002 e46 m3 hardtop vert
    @Zodiacbw- you mean something like goo gone? I have that at my house as we speak. Can i try that or will it mess it up?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    From personal experience, I like a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on that matte black trim, or any other matte plastic such as the plastic door sills, dead pedal, seat base trim. It'll remove the top layer of dead plastic as well as any contaminants like your wax, so it'll be nice and black again too.

If you want to re-dye to the trim (after cleaning with the Magic Eraser), Forever Black will chemically dye the plastic. Use an old microfiber, not the foam applicator that comes with the Forever Black - the foam will cause the product to froth up, which will give undesirable results.

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    The Griot's Garage Dried-On Wax Remover works pretty good for removing wax residue from the trim. The Poorboys Trim Restorer or Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye kit work great for making the trim look black again..

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wax-remover.html
    http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html
    http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html
    Save 10% Coupon Code - CLUBMEMBER
    1-800-869-3011 ext 205

My Cars
    98 BMW M3/4/5 & 93 525i
    +1 on the forever black. I have had great results with that. Magic eraser as others have said is a good way to prep it and then clean it really well before you top coat with forever black
    1973 2002
    Coilovers, Swaybars, Race Header, Dual Weber 40's, LSD 3.64, Custom Fender Flares, 225's all the way around, Rat Rod Track Rat

98 M/3/4/5
    UUC Short Shifter, PSS9 Coilovers, Tuner Sways, Sharked, Stromung Exhaust, Conforti Intake

2001 540 6 Speed

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Glass cleaner and a toothbrush

My Cars
    01 540i/6 97 328i vert/
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Glass cleaner and a toothbrush
    +1
    2001 540i/6 - 144k

1997 328 ic - 67k
    hardtop

2008 328i 6spd 88k

2008 328i 84k auto

1998 328i sedan 5 speed - 190k RIP
    1995 325i sedan - Hellrot - 124k RIP

My Cars
    2002 e46 m3 hardtop vert
    is that for real? or to mock me? if it is true, that is VERY weird lol.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Peanut oil, vegetable oil.
    Anything that will remove easily with a wipe down.

Never tried glass cleaner and toothbrush.
    I try to stay away from using Forever Black, although I have a shitload of it.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I've stopped using IPA and have been using glass cleaner for removing polish residue as it has just the right amount of alcohol and cleaners it seems. So far nothing else works as good at cleaning per se. You will still have to dress and protect with something after cleaning. The trick is to get into the grain or crevices very well while cleaning.