Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer build (pic heavy)

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    This is awesome!

My Cars
    2005 M3, 1995 740i
    this is so cool. Ive always wanted an evoII ever since i saw one. Europeans get all the fun cars

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    love that car... very nice so far.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Coupe
    Nice build.... I just picked up mine the other day it needs a lot of work but I'm happy with it.

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Thought I might contribute a bit: I too have a 2.3-16 and I had a cracked rear subframe. It seems that this issue is not unique to BMW and is typical of ignored, poorly maintained cars.

Pics of mine after being all welded up:

Cracked side:

passenger side:

as you can see, we welded up all the empty space between the members causing stress concentrations and gusseted the thing to prevent future failures.

While he was at it, I also had him weld the front diff mount nut onto the subframe so I didn't have to deal with wrenches and zero clearance anymore...

IMO, it would probably be a better idea to pull yours and reinforce it, vs buying a whole new subframe.
    Last edited by lithium726; 03-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    very cool stuff
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1989 325is Spec E30 #109
    Growing up, I thought Mercedes were superior to BMWs, because that's all my parents had and I didn't know that the E30 existed. Now I know the truth.

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLenoch5 View Post
    Growing up, I thought Mercedes were superior to BMWs, because that's all my parents had and I didn't know that the E30 existed. Now I know the truth.
    it's actually funny, hanging out at Mercedes forums. They all seem to think BMW is a second class company compared to MB.... delusional.

My Cars
    1989 325is Spec E30 #109
    Quote Originally Posted by lithium726 View Post
    it's actually funny, hanging out at Mercedes forums. They all seem to think BMW is a second class company compared to MB.... delusional.
    Naturally, we all think the precise opposite.

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    That strikes me as a bit mean spirited (or at least unnecessarily unpleasant) given the context.

I love E30s as much as the next guy. I've owned my 318is since new and I had a nice 325ix that I loved. My dad had 2 or 3 E30s he bought new as well. Great cars. But there's a reason why I've been pouring time and money into this project over the last 2 years or so...and it's not because I'm a crazed Merc fanboi who fails to see what a POS this thing is. I have my reasons.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Naturally, we all think the precise opposite.
    I would wager that most enthusiasts have appreciation for most brands. BMW and MB have different design philosophies and different engineering goals, but that doesn't make either a second class company.

Like Emre, I'm a huge BMW fan... but there's a reason I'm pouring my cash into my 190E.

My Cars
    1989 325is Spec E30 #109
    In case anyone's looking to do what the OP is, only with a lot more work, here's your answer.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2891062513.html

I would wager that most enthusiasts have appreciation for most brands. BMW and MB have different design philosophies and different engineering goals, but that doesn't make either a second class company.

Like Emre, I'm a huge BMW fan... but there's a reason I'm pouring my cash into my 190E.
    I'm realizing that as well. Mercedes are heavier and more luxurious, while BMWs are slightly lighter and sportier. With Mercedes, you don't feel as connected to the road. I feel like I'm in a La-Z-Boy chair rather than the driver's seat, but I'm sure that's different with the 190E given its racing history.

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    That strikes me as a bit mean spirited (or at least unnecessarily unpleasant) given the context.

I love E30s as much as the next guy. I've owned my 318is since new and I had a nice 325ix that I loved. My dad had 2 or 3 E30s he bought new as well. Great cars. But there's a reason why I've been pouring time and money into this project over the last 2 years or so...and it's not because I'm a crazed Merc fanboi who fails to see what a POS this thing is. I have my reasons.
    No disrespect! I'm just in love with BMWs and even though there may be things better or just as good, I stand by the marque.

I would definitely pay good money for a 190E as a DD! (After all it does fit my criteria for cars; RWD and German).
    Last edited by MikeLenoch5; 03-10-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95 M3, 91 E30, 190E 16V
    Any updates?

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by RPColetrain View Post
    Any updates?
    Yes. Just did some head work. Replaced the timing chain and guides. Had the valve timing adjusted, which meant all new shims. Some of the shims had to be machined down to the perfect size:

Had the valve cover powder-coated. They managed to match the factory paint color:

Also, I bought another set of Evo I alloys (16x8" ET34). I gave up trying to make 17" wheels work for now. The combination of Evo II brakes (300mm rotors; 4-piston Brembo calipers) and stock fenders is simply causing too much headache. That really limits my tire choices: not much available in 225/45-R16 these days. I picked up a set of Yoko A048 tires. I know these are hardly the best R-comps around, but they're the best I can do for now. I'll revisit 17x9" wheels after the season is over.

Finally, I've started working on fabbing some plates to mount my SPA GT mirrors. I'll admit this is race-car bling, but I like the look!
    Last edited by Emre; 04-11-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Pics added!

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    95' E36 M3,02'Ford F-150
    I'm beating a dead horse here...But I LOVE those 190 and M3 era DTM's!!!! MAN ALIVE I LOVE THOSE VIDEOS!!!!!!!

My Cars
    95 M3, 91 E30, 190E 16V
    There's a fastener company out here in Garden Grove, CA. They're called Hillco Fastener. They stock a ton of ARP stainless and chrome-moly nuts and bolts in 12 point and hex. If you ever need to upgrade the fasteners in the engine BTW I have a set of head studs for that motor if you want to upgrade.

What is the spring rate you're using on your coil-over system?

Very professional looking 190 you have there, keep up the good work.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    now i wanna do this to my 16v!

OP, would you happen to know a place where i can get the evo 1 flares, spoiler, and front lip?

Arctic M3/4/5
    Active Autowerke l Rogue Engineering l Rotora l Brembo l Clutchmasters l Ground Control l Motion Motorsports l Recaro l NRG Innovations l OMP Racing l Bimmerworld l VAC Motorsports

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast M3 View Post
    OP, would you happen to know a place where i can get the evo 1 flares, spoiler, and front lip?
    You can get them trough the dealer or the Classic Center, but you'll need a VIN.

Team Stadler makes high-quality Evo I and Evo II body kits: look for "Karosserieteile." The price is quite steep.

There's a small shop in Estonia that used to make Evo I kits. I've never seen one, but people seem happy with the quality. Again, not cheap when you factor in shipping and duties. Not to mention the cost to install, which involves cutting into the unibody.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    You can get them trough the dealer or the Classic Center, but you'll need a VIN.

Team Stadler makes high-quality Evo I and Evo II body kits: look for "Karosserieteile." The price is quite steep.

There's a small shop in Estonia that used to make Evo I kits. I've never seen one, but people seem happy with the quality. Again, not cheap when you factor in shipping and duties. Not to mention the cost to install, which involves cutting into the unibody.
    Thanks, i'll look into it.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Arctic M3/4/5
    Active Autowerke l Rogue Engineering l Rotora l Brembo l Clutchmasters l Ground Control l Motion Motorsports l Recaro l NRG Innovations l OMP Racing l Bimmerworld l VAC Motorsports

My Cars
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Great Car! This is the car that got me hooked on driving fast and doing track days. Before I bought my e36 M3 a while back, my moms friend gave me a ride along WOT in his track prepped Merc 190E. He had full suspension, full slick tires, gutted and racing seats ect.

The car was a machine on the track, handled like a roller coaster. It was an amazing ride.

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    Did you ever dynoed this car ? I'm curious ?
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by biglou911 View Post
    Did you ever dynoed this car ? I'm curious ?
    Don't hold your breath! This is the stock US-market (low-compression) engine, which is only good for 165 hp or so. We have a Euro engine coming in. That will get cams and we'll get rid of the horrid intake and mechanical fuel injection. Hopefully, we'll break 200 hp and finally be able to run with a nicely prepped and well-driven E30 M3.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Don't hold your breath! This is the stock US-market (low-compression) engine, which is only good for 165 hp or so. We have a Euro engine coming in. That will get cams and we'll get rid of the horrid intake and mechanical fuel injection. Hopefully, we'll break 200 hp and finally be able to run with a nicely prepped and well-driven E30 M3.
    The US and Euro KAT engine were the same - and the ECE didn't have much more power, are you going with an ECE 2.3 or a 2.5/evo motor? Keeping the 3.23 US Spec diff? Deleting the cats?

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    The US and Euro KAT engine were the same - and the ECE didn't have much more power, are you going with an ECE 2.3 or a 2.5/evo motor?
    It's an '86 ECE. Slightly higher compression ratio: 10.5 vs. 9.7

The plan is to swap in 2.5 cams and replace the intake/throttle/CIS with ITB+EFI (or twin Weber DCOEs). I wanted a spare engine to build and this one came up locally.

Keeping the 3.23 US Spec diff? Deleting the cats?
    US diff is lower geared than the Euro 5-speed diff, so I'm keeping it. Anyway, we rebuilt it last year and increased the lock-up. So it's in great shape.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    '17 GTI,'99 M3,'86 190E
    Quote Originally Posted by Emre
    US diff is lower geared than the Euro 5-speed diff, so I'm keeping it. Anyway, we rebuilt it last year and increased the lock-up. So it's in great shape.
    Would you mind providing details on your diff rebuild? I just *happen* to have a spare, tired 3.23 diff in my storage unit that I intend to rebuild, but there's not a whole lot of info out there.

What itbs are you going with? Hyabusas? Also something on my list... Unfortunately my motor is losing quite a bit of compression past the piston rings and that needs to be addressed before any intake mods.
    Last edited by lithium726; 05-16-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast