Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer build (pic heavy)

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16

fitting the interior

Putting the new interior in.

Dash...

Seats/nets installed...

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Great Project, always enjoyed those cars. Keep up the great work!

My Cars
    98 M3
    your right side net needs to wrap around the drivers seat. The front attachment is fine, but the rear should be behind and wrapped around the drivers seat. Side of B pillar or drivers A pillar bar.
    Sean

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post
    your right side net needs to wrap around the drivers seat. The front attachment is fine, but the rear should be behind and wrapped around the drivers seat. Side of B pillar or drivers A pillar bar.
    Thank you for that. I'm new to window nets and such. I'll ask the guys at the shop to find a way to mount it tighter to the driver's seat.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    cool build.
    are those double adjustable Konis? the yellow knob at the top is suggestive of single adjustables.

if you're not too restricted on weight and interior, you could probably get a more weight out of the interior. Also, windows, wheels and such could all be lighter.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 323is
    Always did like these cars. Very cool project - thanks for sharing the build!

[Ethan "if it weren't for that cone" Connor|323is #89DSP]

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16

Shifter rebuild

Had the bushings and links replaced...it was getting sloppy!

Next step will be to lengthen the shifter rods to shorten the throw. But that project will have to wait until after the Mosport weekend.

Now, there's only the diff left to finish off. Should be able to pick up the car this weekend as planned. w00t!

My Cars
    2004 m3,1993 325i
    Nice looking car

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    Awesome. Subscribed!

My Cars
    '74 2002, '91 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Next step will be to lengthen the shifter rods to shorten the throw. But that project will have to wait until after the Mosport weekend.

Now, there's only the diff left to finish off. Should be able to pick up the car this weekend as planned. w00t!
    So you will be able to take it to Mosport? Awesome! I am eager to check out this car in person, and chat with you about the G70+ class.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
    So you will be able to take it to Mosport? Awesome!
    Looks like it should be ready. All that's left is to install the rebuilt rear diff and mount up some fresh rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
    I am eager to check out this car in person, and chat with you about the G70+ class.
    Looking forward to it. Is that your M-Tech II in your sig? Very nice!

My Cars
    '74 2002, '91 E30
    Looks like it should be ready. All that's left is to install the rebuilt rear diff and mount up some fresh rubber.

Looking forward to it. Is that your M-Tech II in your sig? Very nice!
    Yes it is! I was going to comment in your thread again on R3V the other day but it was showing a server error. A friend then pointed out that I had forgotten to put 'www' in front of the URL. No wonder R3V had been 'down' for me for a few weeks

But yeah, I'll be at Mosport for all three days. See you there!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is
    very nice benz man!! this was gonna be my second option after a bmw. it looks so fricking sick

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Very Nice! I am loving this thread - thanks for sharing!

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Any idea how much it weighs with the interior stripped?

Great build, Levent from Guten is the man!

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    Any idea how much it weighs with the interior stripped?
    With the interior mostly stripped and the full cage in place, the car weighs 2800 lbs wet. A bit more than I expected. Then again, I still need to strip out all the sound deadening and excess wiring. I'm also running full glass; the electric window motors are still in place; and the mono-block wheels weigh a metric sh1t-ton. I think there is another 200 lbs or so we can remove without too much difficulty.

Our original goal was to get the weight down into the 2500-2600 lbs range. I think we can get close.

Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    Great build, Levent from Guten is the man!
    Thanks! It's something we've been planning and working on for a long time.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    95 M3 GTS2/ST
    A friend of mine, Paul Geddings, is racing one of these in Northern California and killing it in NASA GTS2. Part of it is he is a great driver, but he has also really done a nice job of getting the car set up well for him. I know he is also working with Jay at Ground Control on suspension and I remember in his first race weekend out with the new setup, he shaved multiple seconds off his prior best times at Thunderhill. Not bad for what is basically a single adjustable Koni setup - http://www.nasaproracing.com/results...,runid,1841518

There is also an article here from the MB Club on Paul:
    http://www.mbca.org/star-article/nov...-190e-cosworth

Very cool. Have fun with your build!

My Cars
    '12 Cayenne S Hybrid
    Paul's car is in the 2400-2500 weight range...... And he is an amazing driver.....goddamn it!!!
    2000 Oxford Green M5

My Cars
    e9 / e21 / e36
    Very nice choice in car, me love me some good old w201's!! Anymore pics of the front fender fitment after the spacers installed?

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by DEZIAC View Post
    Any more pics of the front fender fitment after the spacers installed?
    What would you like to see? I can take/post some pics this weekend.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKrause View Post
    Paul's car is in the 2400-2500 weight range...... And he is an amazing driver.....goddamn it!!!

Its lighter than that. He told me it weighs about that with him in it. Mine weighs that much without any crazy lightweight mods like fiberglass, lexan or cutting panels.

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by project86 View Post
    Its lighter than that. He told me it weighs about that with him in it. Mine weighs that much without any crazy lightweight mods like fiberglass, lexan or cutting panels.
    Wow. Hard to imagine how he could have gotten the weight down so low without doing the things you've mentioned. Here's what we've done so far in terms of weight loss:

• interior completely stripped out
    • a/c system completely removed
    • SLS system completely removed
    • significant amount of interior wiring removed
    • partially gutted dash
    • aftermarket exhaust (not significantly lighter than stock)
    • Brembo front calipers (a bit lighter than stock)

With lightweight Recaro Pole Position GRP seats (15 lbs each), 320mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel, and a basic roll cage, the vehicle weight was a whopping 2831 lbs wet.

I really wonder how Paul was able to drop the weight a further 500+ lbs without resorting to Lexan/Perspex, fiberglass bodywork, and generous application of a hole saw

I haven't actually stripped out all of the interior sound deadening yet, but I can't imagine that would weigh more than 100 lbs or so. And I can remove the window motors and a few other odds and ends. All in all, it's very difficult to see how I could possibly drop the weight below 2600 lbs without getting crazy.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    M3
    Wow. Hard to imagine how he could have gotten the weight down so low without doing the things you've mentioned. Here's what we've done so far in terms of weight loss:

• interior completely stripped out
    • a/c system completely removed
    • SLS system completely removed
    • significant amount of interior wiring removed
    • partially gutted dash
    • aftermarket exhaust (not significantly lighter than stock)
    • Brembo front calipers (a bit lighter than stock)

With lightweight Recaro Pole Position GRP seats (15 lbs each), 320mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel, and a basic roll cage, the vehicle weight was a whopping 2831 lbs wet.

I really wonder how Paul was able to drop the weight a further 500+ lbs without resorting to Lexan/Perspex, fiberglass bodywork, and generous application of a hole saw

I haven't actually stripped out all of the interior sound deadening yet, but I can't imagine that would weigh more than 100 lbs or so. And I can remove the window motors and a few other odds and ends. All in all, it's very difficult to see how I could possibly drop the weight below 2600 lbs without getting crazy.
    You and me both. I'm pretty impressed. Paul definitely cut metal away and I think he used Lexan on the rear side windows. No fiberglass though to my knowledge. Paul obviously knows what he's doing with these cars, pretty impressive.

My Cars
    '12 Cayenne S Hybrid
    Wow. Hard to imagine how he could have gotten the weight down so low without doing the things you've mentioned.

Actually, I know he has a lexan windshield, no sound deadening, and no dash at all.... It helps that he weighs maybe 140 lbs dripping wet
    2000 Oxford Green M5

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKrause View Post
    Actually, I know he has a lexan windshield, no sound deadening, and no dash at all.... It helps that he weighs maybe 140 lbs dripping wet
    Ya he did mention that he was quite a light guy. I ran without a dash for awhile. There really isn't much weight there after its gutted, but the lexan windshield would probably help a lot. A fiberglass or carbon hood would help a lot too.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast