Thread: Power window and General Module issues

My Cars
    M3, 325is, 320i, 32 Ford

Power window and General Module issues

Just picked up a '90 535i from the original owner, low mileage car, and I've been on the process of fixing some small things. The owner said he had to have the power windows repaired at one point for them not working at all. One thing is alarming me. I noticed I could still operate the power windows after the car was off, key was out AND the doors have been opened. Nothing will shut the power off. I decided to check the GM, pulled the rear seat and found a rats nest if wiring... The GM and RM were replaced at some point, they had junkyard markings on them, there is also a lot of wires taped up from apparent chaffing through the insulation. The biggest concern was the yellow connector on the GM was clearly cut off and a new one soldered on. While the work doesn't look terrible, I'm not too familiar with the wiring system on these cars. Was there ever a recall or service bulletin for something?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Looks like a hacker was there to "fix" things.
    Get a wiring diagram, you'll need to restore the wiring before any meaningful diagnosis can be done.
    No recalls I'm aware of and it would have been done differently if so.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    M3, 325is, 320i, 32 Ford
    Yep, already have the Bentley Wiring Supplement. Going through all the wiring today, clean everything up, and go from there.