Thread: Importing 5 Wagon into the US?

My Cars
    BMW 325xi

Importing 5 Wagon into the US?

Given that BMW is no longer importing the 5 wagon into the US or Canada, does anyone know how to go about importing one into the US? I tried googling around but nothing current came up. I figure I can't be the only one who would pay a premium to get the car I really want.

Also does anyone know what it would take to get it serviced once it's over here? I'd pick the same engine as what's carrier here (no unusual diesel that no mechanic has seen).

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

My Cars
    VW Passat tdi, MB e300td
    It is cost prohibitive to bring a model over that hasn't been EPA certified.

The only BMW diesel engine currently available over here in N America is different than the ones sold in the rest of the world.

Rumor has it that an F10 diesel will be available in the next couple of years when the EU and US emission standards are more in line. I've got my fingers crossed. I don't know if they'll ever bring the wagons back, tho.

My Cars
    BMW 325xi
    Thanks - I was actually thinking about getting the 300 hp gas engine and not a diesel. Trying to keep the insides of the car as close to the American 5 as possible...

I personally hope that the GT doesn't do well and they bring back the wagon. (If Cadillac can do it; can't BMW?)

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Wow, this is an old thread but I was wondering the same.... Why hasn't BMW killed the GT which is horrible and bring back the Touring, how hard can it be for them to take per-orders and import them?
    Even better if they sold here the M550D
    IMOLA RED E46 M3/6spd/xenons/Hartge software/sharked/AFE intake/ipod oem integration/cf splitters and diffuser/v1 hard wired/OEM alarm/homelink/fogxenonmatch/clutchstop///
    - 2000 E39 BMW M5 Carbon Black/black and imola red interior.
    - 2007 997 GT3 - 2006 Land Cruiser Armored
    - 2008 MDX-2004 360CS

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    Considering how much it costs to EPA certify it, pretty hard.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    11 X5 35D, 03 530i Sport
    I am thinking that all it needs to be epa certified is a speedometer in MPH or MPH and KPH. Most European cars are KPH only. If you were to get a 535 wagon, it would be the same engine that is already here in the 535 sedans. Also I think the TPMS system is different for US models.
    Run flat tires? Nein Danke!!!

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    I believe the f11 is being considered for the US market. The 5GT was a big disappointments for BMW.

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    What is the last year for tourings you can get in the US. What is the top line cold weather package/tech pkg you can get? is it the 2010 535xdrive Touring? Looking around for CPO's and want to select for newest.

FWIW, it took 8 months to get my M5T...London, thru Panama Canal to get certified in CA at an RI that is now retired. (Needed CA cert for resale) There is an outfit in Maryland JK something, but I imagine it's scary expensive for a new car. I think you can go to the factory in Germany and they will build you a US spec one to drive all over Europe and then send back as a US car...and at those prices it might be a smarter better bang for your $70k
    Last edited by Elekta; 02-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.