Thread: I am soon to be BMW owner and I need some advice, please help!!

My Cars
    2008 bmw 335i

I am soon to be BMW owner and I need some advice, please help!!

For a about a month now, I’ve been searching for a used 2008 or newer 335i BMW. My price range is around $27k max. I found an Alpine white 2008 335i with navigation and premium package for $26 with about 39k miles, the car is in great condition, one owner with clean carfax. I am planning on keeping the car for around 5 years. My question is this, this is a good deal? I have not noticed a lot of changes when compared to the 2009 and newer models, except for the white part of the break lights. I’m wondering if this being a 2008 model will have a significantly lower resale value in say 3 to 5 years, should I go with an 09, will I find one for that price low enough on miles to give me 1 year manufacturer warranty?. Am I getting a good deal, should I pull the trigger on this 2008? Also, asked local dealer to inspect the vehicle for me, they will do it for $450, is that a good price? I was told I should take it to a regular shop it would be much cheaper, but I was thinking dealer service people see these cars every day and probably notice irregularities. Please let me know what you think.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 335i
    Sorry, the price is $26k.

My Cars
    2009 128i
    Can't help you re: price. That changes from place to place so what you'd have to pay in Florida will likely be different than what you'd have to pay in Phoenix for the same car. Go on the various websites -- Kelly Blue Book is one, Vehix and sorry I forget the other ones right now -- and see what the prices should be for your zip code.

For pre-purchase inspection, $450 sounds a bit high to me; you can likely do better elsewhere. You are correct that a dealer will know what to look for in that car better than just about anyone else, although an independent shop that specializes in BMWs should be able to do a good job for you, too. The one thing a dealer will be able to tell you that I think no one else can is the service history on the car. (Not positive about that, but I think it's true.) That alone might make it worth coming up with the extra $$ for a dealer inspection.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

My Cars
    2007 335i Cabrio
    The dealer should have all the records on the car. But I think all the maintenance performed and current issues can be read from the key? If this us true then anyone who can read the key should be able to find out.

My Cars
    05' 330i ZhP, '04 325i
    It is a good idea to have it inspected. And do a good bit of an inspection yourself. I bought a used e46 and a week later the service engine soon light came on. My radiator was leaking and had to replace it. And the carfax listed it as a clean vehicle with no wrecks. But my car has a couple dents from the bottom indicating that it has been t-boned.