Thread: A car with many exhausting tales...

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i

A car with many exhausting tales...

My '01 740 i Sport now has 32K miles and a one owner but it has had many exhaust systems during that time.

First it was OEM for about 2 years - then first came Remus from the center resonator back....cut the bumper for the rear exits.

Then I added a custom rear bumper - e39 M5 type...

Then several years later I decided to remove the resonator and install a cross over - too NASCAR, lasted about 30 minutes before I took that off and replaced with MagnaFlow resonator with internal crossover.

That lasted several more years as it sounded pretty good, nice tone for a 740. Then I grew tired once again and needed a change. Took off the Remus and made everything from the cats back 3" pipe and installed my OEM mufflers that I had opened and removed all the baffles and replaced with a perforated pipe from inlet to exit.

That lasted about 6 months - not happy with the sound but not too loud or droning... Next I decided to replace the 3 " pipe as I felt that it was too large and had caused some of the bottom end loss of performance, sluggish.
    Next I dropped to 2 1/2 pipe and crossover with two Gibson chambered mufflers - this was too loud, droned and just sounded bad.

Next I added two resonators - one in each leg between the crossove rand the rear mufflers. That didn't do much at all......
    Finally as of today it now has 2 1/2 pipes and a "kissing type" crossover with two E63 M6 OEM mufflers....have not driven yet, raining cats and dogs, so test drive tomorrow I hope. Sound is good at idle and constant rpm , a little raspy when you let off...we will see!

Fini....
    Last edited by TxDarth; 05-21-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    If you were doing all this with jack stands instead of a 4 post... would you be as picky about your exhaust? Ha!

Looks good! I can't hear anything obviously but your latest setup looks the best IMHO

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    If you were doing all this with jack stands instead of a 4 post... would you be as picky about your exhaust? Ha!

Looks good! I can't hear anything obviously but your latest setup looks the best IMHO
    At my now 75 years - NO WAY! I don't even wax the car anymore without raising the car so I don't have to bend over!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Super old thread, but how did you like the M6 exhausts when all was said and done?

Considering them but keeping the rest of the exhaust stock set up. I dont want it too much louder, just a little more at throttle and obviously visible tips.