Thread: Best source for Replacement Parts

My Cars
    BMW E90 325i/E46 325i

Best source for Replacement Parts

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 325i convertible. it is an 1988 MY. The owner says the top is the original but there are no leaks. He says the car has always been garaged therefore the top hasn't been worn, can that be a true statement? if not, how much will it cost me to have the top redone? I read that the top sells for $250 on ebay, but how about the labor? The rear window (plastic window) has cuts and needs to be replaced? easy fix?

Also, the steering wheel leather is torn, so I will need a new/used bmw steering wheel, where would be the best sourse for replacement parts?

The hoses in the engine bay area are all cracked and needs new radiator hoses, would that be an expensive fix?

Timing belt, water pump, fuel pump etc were relaced in 2007. The car has been sitting in the owners garage since 2007, is it a bad thing?

Thank you for your input.

Tim

My Cars
    '91 318i/'16 F150/'03 Z4
    I can't speak for the convertible parts/labor.

However if all of the hoses are cracked, that says to me that it could have been stored in a very dry climate. The hoses themselves aren't that expensive, its the issues that they can create.

TB, water pump and fuel pump replacement is good if they were done as part of regular maintenance, if there was an issue where the water pump went out it can cause some severe issues engine wise, same with the timing belt, I would have a compression check done to ensure even compression, uneven compression can be a sign of a blown head gasket or even a warped/cracked head.

Has the car been running and warmed up/driven since 2007?

My Cars
    BMW E90 325i/E46 325i
    The owner said the car has been sitting in his garage since 2007. He also said the car starts without any issues. Is there a way to understand if the car has any major issues due to not being driven for several years? Any suggestions?

Thank you

My Cars
    '91 318i/'16 F150/'03 Z4
    Well, the oil would probably be no good, ask to see if he replaced it every 6 months, a year at the least. Find out if he has service records, also its always wise to invest in a carfax/autocheck. Whenever you have a car sitting that long, fluids get stagnat, gas goes bad, seals dry up, if you have a mechanic buddy, have him check it out too.

My Cars
    1989 325 ic zinnoberrot
    I would think the worst for sitting still is the cooling system.

You described the hoses going bad, and the water pump too.

the block could be rusty I would clean the whole thing out. the radiator too

My Cars
    '91 318i/'16 F150/'03 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by stamar View Post
    I would think the worst for sitting still is the cooling system.

You described the hoses going bad, and the water pump too.

the block could be rusty I would clean the whole thing out. the radiator too
    absolutely, the cooling system should be checked asap

My Cars
    1997 e38 740iL, 1988 e30

Have the same car...

though sadly mine sat for longer, - window cut, ripped whatever, if not the zip type (mine wasn't) easy and cheap if you know how to sew them with parts and labor and expensive going elsewhere - (sew in type)

besides all other mentioned, check out the driveshaft - mine had to be replaced due to a bad joint...

My Cars
    BMW E90 325i/E46 325i
    I have two options. Either get this car that needs alot of work (inside and out and engine) or get another one that needs less work (don't know about the engine). But the one that needs less work is $1200 more expensive.

how easy it is to find replacement parts for these cars? which car should I pick? I need some advice

My Cars
    1989 325iC, 2014 328d
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim0078 View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 325i convertible. it is an 1988 MY. The owner says the top is the original but there are no leaks. He says the car has always been garaged therefore the top hasn't been worn, can that be a true statement? if not, how much will it cost me to have the top redone? I read that the top sells for $250 on ebay, but how about the labor? The rear window (plastic window) has cuts and needs to be replaced? easy fix?

Tim
    I've changed my rear plastic windows for $300 incl. labor and this is a very good price. The original german top would cost over 1 grand. Less expensive fabric would be about $800. Again, these were the prices when I got mine done at a professional car upholstery shop. Get the car that has the good engine! It's gonna be more valuable.
    Last edited by vkot3366; 04-07-2011 at 11:53 PM.

My Cars
    '91 318i/'16 F150/'03 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by vkot3366 View Post
    I've changed my rear plastic windows for $300 incl. labor and this is a very good price. The original german top would cost over 1 grand. Less expensive fabric would be about $800. Again, these were the prices when I got mine done at a professional car upholstery shop. Get the car that has the good engine! It's gonna be more valuable.
    Agreed, a car that has been sitting that long can end up going downhill very fast.

My Cars
    1988 bmw 325i & 1988 Lincoln town car
    Pass. If the cooling hoses are bad, count on subframe mounts, shock mounts, enginge mounts and everything rubber. Also, fixing the top is a real pain. Unless you have had experience, count on a BMW mechanic to chrage 1200.