Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUCCESS: Interface in ADS mode without a real COM port

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    If you leave it as it is then it does not do anything (it rewrites parts of the ads32.dll file with the same numbers that are there already)

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    Then I really have no idea what went wrong. I tried it twice and all I can say is that in both situations right after patching I went into device manager and the driver was not working (it was working before and never stopped working by itself)... Computer reboots if I either try to fix the driver or run the Diagnosis and then the driver is back working and remains that way...

But anyway... The patch is not compatible with the card anyway so no problems... We'll try with the next one

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    OK, thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do about it...

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    Tonight I'll try to replicate it on my own setup: I have a rael USB-to-Serial adapter based on the Prolific chipset as well. I see if the same thing happens...

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    i hv bought an ADS interface and also a PCMCIA->RS232 adapter

the adapter reads "High speed communication port (COM26)" in the device manager under the item "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    it does not have the Resources tab

there is another item "PCMCIA adapters", under that with "Texas Instrument PCI 1520 cardbus controller"
    this should be the socket that I plugged the adapter into
    it has a resources tab
    it has 2 IO range: FE00-FEFF, FD00-FDFF, and iRQ 11

does that mean i need to run the patch so that the ADS driver would point to the PCMCIA adapter? if yes, I don't know what I should type into Jarda's programe (which COM number? and which address as there is 2 IO range)
    I tried COM1 with address FE00 or FDFF but no luck
    Last edited by betaruce; 05-31-2011 at 02:31 AM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    any suggestions would be appreciated.....

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3

Thanks for the patch!!

With a bunch of help (ok, truthfully I think I was mostly an observer) from LPCapital and your patch, I now have ADS working. I have a '97 Z3 and can run both DIS and INPA over the ADS connection. I have a Toshiba laptop (probably 3 or 4 years old) running Vista. We tried an import PCMCIA card that would not work. I am now using a StarTech card (model EC1S952) that works without a hitch. Thanks again!

CJ
    Tampa

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325 Coupe
    Thanks jarda, your patch is awesome, my ADS interface works on ExpressCard->COM. sometimes INPA shows strange errors, but working.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by jarda View Post
    OK, thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do about it...
    Can you read EGS computer on that 1993?

My Cars
    BMW 325 TDS E36
    Hi, I post here what I said on the blog :

I saw your tool a few weeks ago and I decided to buy a PCMCIA to Serial adapter and the ADS/OBD2 interface.

Before appliying the patch :

When I plugged the serial adapter (without the cable just COM Port) launched INPA the Battery point was always ON and Ignition always OFF

I tried your tool but at the beginning I did not understand I had to find MY I/O Adress and not de default one (3DF8) set in the TOOL. So it did not work of course.

Mine was FDF8, I set the right value, I had to reboot because just after patch INPA was bugging "CreateFile_ERROR" at launch.

This error appears normally when COM port is not set on COM1.

So I rebooted my PC and retried INPA.

I don't have an old car right now to test but INPA does not show battery ON anymore. I think it is good now, I have to try

Thank you for your tool

Edit : It works in OBD mode on my 330ci E46
    So I guess it will work too in ADS
    Last edited by Orphee; 07-25-2011 at 07:34 AM.

My Cars
    e39 530d
    hello. i also have an e36 compakt 323ti
    i would coding anything, but i can´t
    can someone help?

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I am sorry I haven't had time to support the tool/users...

The current (and probably final) status is:

- works with adapters that create a serial port with an I/O address (many, but not all PCMCIA adapters, no USB adapters)
    - INPA works, NCSEXPERT does not.
    - works on all cars that support ADS mode

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    Just some feedback:

I had success with this card using the ADS patch
    http://www.amazon.com/CablesToBuyTM-...2586208&sr=8-1

**seller ONBENE

using a true serial ADS interface on an acer laptop running 32-bit Win XP
    Fast Track '09
    NJ S.T.E.P
    . 35 - the cake is a lie

What do you call a BMW on a flatbed?
    -Maintenance interval.

Zoom - Zoom
    Forever

My Cars
    1996 E39 528i Sedan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jarda View Post
    I am happy to report that I just got my ADS interface working with a laptop without a real COM port, all through a modification of EDIABAS files.

My setup is
    - HP laptop without a real COM port
    - cheap PCMCIA-SERIAL adapter that creates a virtual COM with wrong parameters (IRQ is not 4 and hw address is not 03F8)
    - ADS interface
    - 1998 BMW E38 (works in both ADS and OBD modes)
    - 1993 BMW E36 (cannot work in OBD mode, only ADS)

I have yet to try the same approach with a USB-Serial interface.

I will post details as soon as I confirm that the method works on other laptops.

EDIT: no luck with USB adapters, PCMCIA works, update here http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...th-pcmcia.html
    Hi jarda, please can you re-upload the ads port tool.

the links down on the site.

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Thanks for telling me.. it seems that someone hacked into my FTP and uploaded a .htaccess file that redirects all requests for my tool to their website.

The link should work now.

My Cars
    1996 E39 528i Sedan
    Thanks, just having a play with an express card to see if I can get one working.

Just got obd running and connected so far on sss prog and dis on win7-64.

Working on the ads via usb-comm express card. I know there's a way.

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Yes, there is a way - rewrite the ADS driver. There is a company that did it and sells ADS interfaces that work over USB (I don't remember the name; saw it at bmwecu.org about a year ago..)

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    I bought this : http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-EXP150...dp/B0026713WE/
    One of the reviews said this about it :
    So I have an old Sharp XE-A202 Cash Register that I usually have to bring home every time I want to add/update item prices since I only have a laptop with no serial ports at work. For about 5 years I've been searching for something that can connect my laptop to this register. Every USB to Serial port adapter did not work. Hell, even some express cards were just using USB to Serial hardware and ended up being an emulated port. This item truly IS a serial rs232 port. Worked perfectly with the cash register. My current laptop is running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I had no problems installing the hardware and software for this device. Some people here have said it's a bit flimsy, so I just keep it in a really small, but strong cardboard box I had lying around. I haven't had any problems carrying this in a backpack with my laptop. I've had it for about a month now, still works like a charm.
    Wonder if I'll get a resource tab with its own hardware address so it'll work with jarda's program.
    EDIT - Yep! I've got a real serial address with it! Thank you very much jarda!
    Last edited by mrf; 09-07-2012 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Jarda,

Thanks for the nice utility worked great for me.

David

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I built an ADS interface that works well with all modules on my e36 when using a PC with a real COM port, but am having issues using a Syba PCIe serial card. I ran the ADS patch and INPA can see everything except the DME. Any ideas?
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    BMW 325 TDS E36
    Hi,

I just bought a new computer, it don't have Express card slot...

USB serial adapters don't work, is there a chance something like this can do the trick ? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-USB-2-...item3a6c437854

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00080950.html
    Last edited by Orphee; 03-21-2013 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 325 TDS E36
    Hi,

I'm currently trying some experiment about ADS interface without a real COM port, with a USB to COM port...

I recently discovered in a virtual machine like Windows XP, you can connect the HOST COM port to the Virtual Machine COM port directy in VMWare settings...
    I don't have a USB to COM port adapter currently, but I have my DCAN cable... (it use a USB to COM port emulation)

In my host machine, my DCAN cable emulated COM port don't have real hardware address, it don't have ressource tab too...
    But when you link in to a Virtual Machine, in this virtual machine, the COM port in it has a real address, and the ressource tab here too !!

So I installed all INPA/Ediabas stuff in my virtual machine... Installed my USB COM port (DCAN cable) in the HOST machine, and used VMWare settings to link the COM1 port in the virtual machine (not the USB cable directly).

INPA works well with my DCAN cable in the VM.
    The VM don't see the USB cable, in think it has a real COM port.
    The ignition detection works well.
    I installed ADS driver, and I tried to use jarda's patch to see if it works in the VM, and yes, it works, it finds the COM1 port, and finds the driver, and can patch it.

So now I just need to receive my USB to COM port to test my ADS interface with it...

If it works, I will have to make EasyDIS VM works INSIDE the XP VM. (You must have a good computer for this)
    (In fact I already installed it, everything seems to work, but didn't try on the car yet.)

I'm not sure my explanations are clear... if not, I'll try to explain it better...

I'll keep you updated this evening if EasyDIS through XP VM works or not...

- - - Updated - - -

Some updates,

I finally succeeded to make EasyDIS work INSIDE the XP Virtual machine...
    It was harder than I taught...

But in the end, it works...
    Latest step is to try with the USB to COM port on HOST machine... It should work...

I can explain how I did if someone needs it.

Bye
    Last edited by Orphee; 04-15-2013 at 04:39 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 325 TDS E36
    Hello,

Here is a screenshot of my configuration (with DCAN cable connected to HOST machine currently)

Real_COM1_with_USB_cable.png

As you can see I have the following :
    Host : Windows 7
    VM1 : Windows XP
    VM2 inside VM1 : EasyDIS

In the VM1, COM1 port with real hardware address, and behind, in VM2, EasyDIS connected to my car.

EasyDIS VM2 uses IFH service (VM1) to access COM1 VM1 port, and VM1 use linked COM1 port to access Host Windows 7 machine with USB/COM DCan cable.

Now i'm just waiting a USB to COM port to try it with ADS interface. I have an E36 '96 to try it.

Bye
    Last edited by Orphee; 04-16-2013 at 06:36 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphee View Post

Now i'm just waiting a USB to COM port to try it with ADS interface. I have an E36 '96 to try it.
    I don't know off hand what DME will be in that e36, but it will be best for conclusive testing purposes to test it with a DME that is old enough to require a slow wakeup on the L bus since those seem to be the only modules which actually require the use of the direct hardware control used in the ADS ediabas driver.

I think it's the 40.1 DME and older that use the slow wakeup. If your setup works with one of those DMEs then it should be pretty safe to say that it will work with anything and is indeed a fully functional USB ADS setup.

I've tried what you're trying, but with virtualbox on a linux host. I don't remember the exact results so I'm interested to see yours, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 100% successful since I'd have started a thread about it if it was.

Even if it didn't work for me, it could still work for you since the hardware api will be different. I'm pretty sure the reason that the ADS driver uses direct hardware control is because the only way to do the slow init at 5 baud is by toggling the TX pin manually. I don't know whether it is even possible to do that with a usb-serial adapter, but I'd like to think it is. If so, then all that's needed is to make sure that the manual toggling makes it all the way from the ADS driver in the virtual machine to the usb-serial adapter attached to the host. Since virtualbox is open source, that would seem to be possible to accomplish.

So even if initial tests are unsuccessful, we may finally have a way to fix it if the changes that need to be made are limited to the virtualization code and its device drivers.

My Cars
    BMW 325 TDS E36
    The simple fact DIS can connect to the E36 car with my settings will be a success (ignition detection & co).

Currently, if you try ADS interface with USB COM port, it fails directly.

my E36 has the PIN 15, and needs an ADS interface, if the connection work, I'll do a quick test on all modules.

I cross my fingers

Edit :

I don't know how it works in Virtualbox, but in VMWare Workstation 9 (installed on host machine) I had to set some parameters to activate the VM configured like a real computer and not a VM.
    The install of VMWare workstation 6.5 INSIDE VM1 failed without theses parameters because the installer detected it was in a VM.

If you can do the same with Virtualbox, and make VMWare 6.5 inside Virtualbox VM and fake VirtualBox VM as a real PC... maybe it could work with Virtualbox
    Last edited by Orphee; 04-16-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast