Thread: E34 535i manual ecu *TRANS PROGRAM*

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 535i

E34 535i manual ecu *TRANS PROGRAM*

So I bought a car of this guy and ever since I've had it there has been a 'trans program' message on the dash. He told me that I would need manual ecu to stop the warning so it has gear status. The only problem is I don't know where to start looking since most e34's are auto.

Can anyone point me in he right direction of where to get it and how much it's gonna cost me?

Cheers, Jay

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I take it that the car is a manual? If so, it was probably swapped from an automatic at some time and the auto trans computer was left connected. This would give you your error in the dash. Do some searching for manual swap threads and for removal of TRANS PROGRAM. There is a pin you can ground that will remove the message. Sorry I can't remember is off the top of my head. If you disconnect the trans computer and run a jumper cable from that certain pin of the connector to GND, it will remove the message. Look up the pin out diagram for your car and trans computer and give it a try. It should be quick and easy to test once you have the pin-out diagram. I did this a while back when diagnosing the same message.

Also, if the PO didn't bother to remove this error message with a relatively easy fix, then they most likely did not swap the engine control chip in the DME. They were different for the auto and manual trans. Folks report an unnatural rev drop when shifting if they leave the auto trans chip in their DME. Member DUDMD may be able to help with a replacement chip for fairly cheap, but I'm not sure if he makes one for the 535.
    Last edited by Sir Montalbon; 10-17-2013 at 06:36 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 535i
    Hey man,

The car is a manual and the guy did do a transmission swap. Ive done some research and ive been looking at how to ground the pin.

But i was wondering if i would have to get a new ecu since it was swapped. Im not quite sure because ive been looking around and it says on one site (here: http://www.bmwallparts.com/ECU-Bosch...-P2659467.aspx ) that the ecu is fits both. But it also says its not coded Do you know much about this?

Ive also had a look at some performance chips. Is that what you're telling me to replace (Sorry, im new to alll this). I've found a Conforti one (Here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-41...ance-chip.aspx )

Would this do the trick?

Cheers, Jay

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

(Manual) 1989 BMW E34 535i Executive

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    I take it that the car is a manual? If so, it was probably swapped from an automatic at some time and the auto trans computer was left connected. This would give you your error in the dash. Do some searching for manual swap threads and for removal of TRANS PROGRAM. There is a pin you can ground that will remove the message. Sorry I can't remember is off the top of my head. If you disconnect the trans computer and run a jumper cable from that certain pin of the connector to GND, it will remove the message. Look up the pin out diagram for your car and trans computer and give it a try. It should be quick and easy to test once you have the pin-out diagram. I did this a while back when diagnosing the same message.

Also, if the PO didn't bother to remove this error message with a relatively easy fix, then they most likely did not swap the engine control chip in the DME. They were different for the auto and manual trans. Folks report an unnatural rev drop when shifting if they leave the auto trans chip in their DME. Member DUDMD may be able to help with a replacement chip for fairly cheap, but I'm not sure if he makes one for the 535.
    Yeah it is a manual and the guy did do a transmission swap. Ive done a little research and i have looked at grounding the pin. Would this be a permanant solution and would it give me a gear status?.

Also, I think ive found a performance chip from Jim Conforti (here: E34 535i Turner Motorsport Conforti Performance Chip - Turner Motorsport ) Is this what you're talkign about and would this do the trick?

Sorry im new to all this stuff.

Cheers, Jay.

My Cars
    Suck
    The rev issue is on m60s, not m30s. OP, follow the DIY on swapping an m30 from auto to manual, specifically the wiring. You'll be fine.

My Cars
    735il, 98 M3 4dr
    Binjammin is right. Basically you need to remove the passenger side kick panel (with the speaker in it). Follow the instructions to jumper a couple of pins in the wiring harness plug (previously connected to the transmission computer).

This will solve your problem. I don't remember offhand which pins need to be jumpered, but this is the issue.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    OP,

Yeah, these guys are right. I mistakenly thought that the rev issue was with all e34 DME's, so you shouldn't need any new chip. Follow the m30 swap. I believe this is the one they are referring to:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-(56k-warning)
    Last edited by Sir Montalbon; 10-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOz View Post
    Binjammin is right. Basically you need to remove the passenger side kick panel (with the speaker in it). Follow the instructions to jumper a couple of pins in the wiring harness plug (previously connected to the transmission computer).

This will solve your problem. I don't remember offhand which pins need to be jumpered, but this is the issue.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

Just found a site where it shows how to ground the pins to get rid of this trans program message.

Thanks for the help man. Appreciate it,

Jay.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post

Can you tell me more about this? PO did a manual swap on my car... there is no trans program error but I believe the ECU shop was not swapped because I have slow rev dropping and also ASC (traction) light on for "#20 EGS Intervention" which could indicate the car still thinks it has an automatic transmission.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Your '86 535i is an E28, not an E34; any answers you get here may well not apply.
    car I am referencing in my post is my 95 530i touring, not my e28.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    then add that car to your profile, to avoid confusion
    My Cars 1986 BMW 535
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E34T
    I've seen at least three M60 cars with manual swaps, and none of them had the error code you reference. Give us more info, please, starting with the production date. Also, open up your e-box (opposite the front fusebox) and tell us if there's just an engine DME and ABS/ASC module, or an EGS module as well. Pull out the ABS/ASC and post what numbers are on it.
    Last edited by moroza; 10-31-2017 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    I've seen at least three M60 cars with manual swaps, and none of them had the error code you reference. Give us more info, please, starting with the production date. Also, open up your e-box (opposite the front fusebox) and tell us if there's just an engine DME and ABS/ASC module, or an EGS module as well. Pull out the ABS/ASC and post what numbers are on it.
    Sounds good. I will get all that info and reply back tomorrow!

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    So i pulled that cover and the connection for the EGS was just hanging there ha! plugged it back in and the traction light went off! too damn funny... I can live with not having a manual DME but do you think its worth it to put one in? Thanks!

My Cars
    E34T
    So... there *was* an EGS (transmission computer), and you plugged it back in and all is well?

My RPM issue was mostly - not completely - solved with a new chip from DUDMD. I previously had various chips in a 530iA, then 530iM box, that had the engine hanging between shifts. Changing the DME itself is unnecessary; just change the chip.

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    So... there *was* an EGS (transmission computer), and you plugged it back in and all is well?

My RPM issue was mostly - not completely - solved with a new chip from DUDMD. I previously had various chips in a 530iA, then 530iM box, that had the engine hanging between shifts. Changing the DME itself is unnecessary; just change the chip.
    Yes there was an EGS, it just was not connected. I'm hoping to get a bit more low end torque for the M60...the b30 is kind of a slug below 4k rpm.