Thread: Is there a way to set timing without special tools?

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3

Is there a way to set timing without special tools?

I just rebuilt an s52 and am getting ready to put it in, and thought about the issue of timing, is there a way to set the timing without using bmw special tools?
    (this thread is here because im sure the majority of people who know about this frequent the FI section.)
    Last edited by TheM3nsah; 03-30-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    you could make the template for the cam tool that is in the bently manual. I think it also has dimensions for the FW lock pin.

Just rent them from someone for a few bucks and Your good to go or if You think that You'll be timing these motors, just buy the set-up, use it then rent it. It will pay for itself in no time.
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    When I did mine I just went ahead and bought it. Although my FW lock pin didnt fit. I ended up haviing to use a punch. I would say just buy it but after you see what the tool looks like you think man, that could be machined in about 30 seconds with a mill. but whatever . I had the money at the time so I just got it .
    Alpine White --- E46 M3 --- Maximum PSI --- Precision 6266 --- Custom 3" Exhaust --- Statusgruppe --- Varrstoen ---
    The rest is just smoke and tires
    -Snails- The real reason the tortoise beat the hare.-

My Cars
    BMWs
    Get the tools off ebay - its easier. And yes, if you set your cams without the tools, you will be buying valves unless you're a freak and can see a cam lob a couple degrees off while on an angle in an engine bay

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    You rebuilt an engine and dont wanna cough up the small coin for the right tools to time the engine?
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    yup get the tools.

FW lock you can use a socket extension or punch as stated above. On the cam timing chain, you can use a nail to lock down the tensioner.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    You guys better not give the OP a hard time.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I wouldn't rig the flywheel lock - mine have always fit, they need to be pretty darn exact if you actually want the motor at tdc. Not locking the flywheel at tdc is as risky as not putting the cams in square.

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I wouldn't rig the flywheel lock - mine have always fit, they need to be pretty darn exact if you actually want the motor at tdc. Not locking the flywheel at tdc is as risky as not putting the cams in square.
    agreed, but if whatever you stick in the hole almost needs lube to fit, well everyone is happy right?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    agreed, but if whatever you stick in the hole almost needs lube to fit, well everyone is happy right?
    Yeah s long as the thing isn't pointed/tapered. The flywheel lock is not tapered, and then is undercut to a nipple at the end that is also not tapered. With a punch, you could stick it in there and have it an an angle and be "lined up" The tool should fit its not hard to make I have a few and haven't had an issue.

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    You rebuilt an engine and dont wanna cough up the small coin for the right tools to time the engine?
    ...you dont know my budget or how much i didnt pay...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    yup get the tools.

FW lock you can use a socket extension or punch as stated above. On the cam timing chain, you can use a nail to lock down the tensioner.
    thanks for the tip, i did find a friend with the tools and will be doing it correctly, this was just a question asking thread, thanks for the input to those who provided info.
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    90 325
    Any trouble's getting the exhaust sprocket onto the exhuast cam after a .140 headgasket?

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by exvitermini2 View Post
    Any trouble's getting the exhaust sprocket onto the exhuast cam after a .140 headgasket?
    nope

My Cars
    90 325
    Didn't seem as if the chain was a tiny bit short? Slipped right on with plenty of slack?

My Cars
    92' 525i
    Use a straightedge and be done.

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by antonch View Post
    Use a straightedge and be done.
    Wont lie.. thats not a bad idea..
    Alpine White --- E46 M3 --- Maximum PSI --- Precision 6266 --- Custom 3" Exhaust --- Statusgruppe --- Varrstoen ---

My Cars
    330cic, 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pring View Post
    Wont lie.. thats not a bad idea..
    I hope you were being sarcastic

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Get the tools. End of story. Even with the proper tools, it's hit or miss getting it right.

a.) Set timing.
    b.) Spin engine a few times
    c.) Check timing.
    d.) Cuss at engine because it is slightly off and needs set again.
    e.) Repeat

Seriously, I did that about 10 times before I was 100% happy with the results. Just remember that if your VANOS is sliding properly, that it's going to move a slight bit as you turn your exhaust cam - this is normal and a-ok as the VANOS controls the position of the intake cam (within reason) as long as you initially set it correct.

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy
    Get the tools. End of story. Even with the proper tools, it's hit or miss getting it right.

a.) Set timing.
    b.) Spin engine a few times
    c.) Check timing.
    d.) Cuss at engine because it is slightly off and needs set again.
    e.) Repeat

Seriously, I did that about 10 times before I was 100% happy with the results. Just remember that if your VANOS is sliding properly, that it's going to move a slight bit as you turn your exhaust cam - this is normal and a-ok as the VANOS controls the position of the intake cam (within reason) as long as you initially set it correct.
    That makes me hope to god mines right.. I only did it once.. it ran fairly normally although I had a bad maf at the time.. don't make me nervous

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    That makes me hope to god mines right.. I only did it once.. it ran fairly normally although I had a bad maf at the time.. don't make me nervous
    luckily its easy to remove the valve cover and recheck if need be

My Cars
    Max PSI STG 1 e46 M3
    how do you check if your vanos is timed right ? I had a lot of trouble getting mine to rotate. We fabbed up a tool that was kind of ancient but it worked out. Hope it works =/

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    how do you check if your vanos is timed right ? I had a lot of trouble getting mine to rotate. We fabbed up a tool that was kind of ancient but it worked out. Hope it works =/
    Take the VANOS unit off the car. Use the cam timing tools and set both the intake and exhaust Now, with the cams locked with the timing tools, push the plunger on the VANOS all the way in and push onto the intake cam. The due to lining up the plunger will move out a hair or two (normal). If your VANOS plunger is almost completely in when the cams are both locked with the timing tools, it's correct. The exhaust is MUCH more important to time nuts on.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    If you were Charlie Sheen you could set them with your mind.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    BMW E30
    I set my m52 and s50 euro without cam tools, just a ruler for the m52 to make sure both cams are lined. S50 has timing marks.
    I'm not an expert but I did it as well.

It is hard to find timing tools in my country.
    Last edited by Modded E30; 03-31-2011 at 03:21 PM.