RM European Auto Parts
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption after CCV replacement

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by e30hijinks View Post
    Forgive me if I don't understand (I'm a visual learner) so you connected a piece of rubber line from the CCV to a nipple on the intake manifold? If you did post pics, i won't be able to see them cause my work computer is firewalled. But if you didn't could you post a pic or maybe a realOEM diagram showing the two connections?

So it seems that engine brake basically causes ring flutter. I wonder if i used my brakes to slow the car rather than the engine if I'd all but eliminate consumption?

I also wonder if this can explain why later M54s typically don't experience high oil consumption? seems to be inherent to 01/02 models.

I'm just compelled to do an "Advanced Driver Training" thing here, sorry:

"Engine braking" is essentially wrong. Your brakes are designed to stop your car, your engine and gearbox are not. While it might seem that you are getting "free" braking, the truth is that you are transferring the loads and stresses to a system which is not designed for that duty. Furthermore, work in the gearbox system is generally much more expensive than brake work.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, you are transferring braking loads to the end of the car that is made light and tractionless under braking: you'll note that the front brakes of every car are larger than the backs: because the front of the car is where the weight goes, when you're braking.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E30 & E46
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I'm just compelled to do an "Advanced Driver Training" thing here, sorry:

"Engine braking" is essentially wrong. Your brakes are designed to stop your car, your engine and gearbox are not. While it might seem that you are getting "free" braking, the truth is that you are transferring the loads and stresses to a system which is not designed for that duty. Furthermore, work in the gearbox system is generally much more expensive than brake work.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, you are transferring braking loads to the end of the car that is made light and tractionless under braking: you'll note that the front brakes of every car are larger than the backs: because the front of the car is where the weight goes, when you're braking.

lol. that was unnecessary. I did not need any of that. I know that engine braking is not meant to slow the car. I know it's adding wear and tear on systems that aren't designed to take it. Sometimes lets say you're approaching a corner at high RPM, you're not going to upshift cause you're preparing for corner exit. As such, you are effectively engine braking even when you're not intending to. I'm talking situations where the engine is at high RPM and your foot is off the gas. Situations that 99% of us are in at one point or another in our BMW-driving lives. You guys are not understanding what I am trying to say.

Pilot02, if all it took was to correct this so-called ring-flutter was to correct vacuum by replacing the CCV system, then why did you rig up this vacuum line between the manifold and and CCV? Didn't you rig this up because 1) Valve guide seals didn't work, 2) new CCV system didn't work, and in fact increased your consumption, and 3) because the inherent design in the M54 allowed excess vacuum?

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30hijinks View Post
    Pilot02, if all it took was to correct this so-called ring-flutter was to correct vacuum by replacing the CCV system, then why did you rig up this vacuum line between the manifold and and CCV? Didn't you rig this up because 1) Valve guide seals didn't work, 2) new CCV system didn't work, and in fact increased your consumption, and 3) because the inherent design in the M54 allowed excess vacuum?
    I think you're misunderstanding the situation. I suggest you go back and carefully reread the thread. I'm not saying that the new CCV didn't function as designed; in fact, I'm speculating that some combination of factors, probably having to do with piston and ring design, allow excess oil consumption in certain circumstances even with the CCV working as designed.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    I'm having this same problem with my E46! I purchased the cold weather CCV kit from Bavarian Autosports and since I replaced it, I've been losing a quart every 700 miles! This problem is killing me since I do 600 miles/week. Recently, the consumption has been getting worse. I can't seem to find a leak, however I do smell oil randomly when I'm sitting in traffic sometimes, other times I don't smell anything.

Can anyone in the NY area help me with this?

My Cars
    E30 & E46
    Quote Originally Posted by thetvsho View Post
    I'm having this same problem with my E46! I purchased the cold weather CCV kit from Bavarian Autosports and since I replaced it, I've been losing a quart every 700 miles! This problem is killing me since I do 600 miles/week. Recently, the consumption has been getting worse. I can't seem to find a leak, however I do smell oil randomly when I'm sitting in traffic sometimes, other times I don't smell anything.

Can anyone in the NY area help me with this?
    Did you replace the oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gaskets?

And Pilot, you've got PM

My Cars
    87 325is
    What is the pressure in the crank case with the engine at operating temperature and idling? Does the pressure change significantly when the engine is brought up to 3000-3500rpm?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Certainly, jim is absolutely correct that a crankcase vacuum test is essential: but since you're smelling oil, I'd suspect one of the two extremely common leak sources E30hijinks has mentioned. A valvecover leak will usually show on top of the exhaust heat shields, above the manifolds; an oil filter housing gasket leak will show if you peer downwards with a flashlight, to the engine block, behind the oil filter housing. Both leaks are also distinguishable from below, looking upwards.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    I replaced both the valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing gasket. Both gaskets were leaking, but I'm still consuming oil as much as gas!

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I replaced both the valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing gasket. Both gaskets were leaking, but I'm still consuming oil as much as gas!
    Did you read the entire thread, specifically post #77 and the discussion following it? The situation being talked about here is complex and requires either a fair bit of mechanical knowledge or some very careful reading to understand. If you want to tackle the issue yourself, please read and understand everything here before proceeding with any further repairs or (especially) the modification I've described.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Did you read the entire thread, specifically post #77 and the discussion following it? The situation being talked about here is complex and requires either a fair bit of mechanical knowledge or some very careful reading to understand. If you want to tackle the issue yourself, please read and understand everything here before proceeding with any further repairs or (especially) the modification I've described.

Do you have any pictures by chance of how you plumbed in the extra vacuum line? My m52 in my E36 seems to be consuming >1qrt. in the first 5500 mile OCI I've put it thru, and would like to try this before just going the exhaust checkvalve route and deleting my entire CCV system.

My Cars
    2006 X5
    This is some really interesting reading. I have a 06 X5 4.4 N62 engine. It is smoking when it gets fairly hot outside and left idleing. I have replaced the breather valves on the valve covers and had it looked at at the dealer for them to tell me that I need an 8000 dollar valve seal replacement. The thing is that there is still some wetness in the hose leading from the driver side valve cover. The passenger side was wet prior to the change but it has since dried and become sludgey.

Is it possible that by the engine is getting too hot and there being some malfunction in the breather system that is causing the oil to vaporize and condense enough in the hoses to cause the smoking?

You guys seem to have plenty of experience with a similar issue and any and all help is much appreciated!!

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Just for shits and giggles, please read SB 11 03 08 and read attatched file!!!

My Cars
    2006 X5
    Where or what is SB 11 03 08....and how do I find it?

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Not sure if that was directed to me or someone else, Stanley. That's the latest SIB on the M54 CCV, yes? I've read it, and I'm sure it's valid and useful in some cases, but nowhere does it mention persistent oil consumption.

EDIT: Ninja edit. Stupid automerge....

Quote Originally Posted by kenndoggy View Post
    Do you have any pictures by chance of how you plumbed in the extra vacuum line? My m52 in my E36 seems to be consuming >1qrt. in the first 5500 mile OCI I've put it thru, and would like to try this before just going the exhaust checkvalve route and deleting my entire CCV system.
    No pictures right now, but it's very simple on the M54 (M52 may vary slightly). There's a single nipple on the middle portion of the CCV, between the oil separator and the valve; it is capped. Pull the cap off and connect one end of the line to it. The intake manifold connection is a similarly capped nipple on the back of the manifold; from the driver's side of the car, reach behind the manifold and you'll feel two capped nipples. Pull the cap off the small one and connect the other end of the line there. You'll need maybe 2 feet of vacuum line (very small diameter). That's all there is to it.

That said, consumption of a quart of oil over 5500 miles is nothing.
    Last edited by 02Pilot; 04-09-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

-John Wayne

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Quote Originally Posted by 1redvettfor2 View Post
    Where or what is SB 11 03 08....and how do I find it?
    The service bulliten tell you how to check crank case pressure, sorry it won't let me print it. You can have a dealer print it out for you.

Not sure if that was directed to me or someone else, Stanley. That's the latest SIB on the M54 CCV, yes? I've read it, and I'm sure it's valid and useful in some cases, but nowhere does it mention persistent oil consumption.

EDIT: Ninja edit. Stupid automerge....

No pictures right now, but it's very simple on the M54 (M52 may vary slightly). There's a single nipple on the middle portion of the CCV, between the oil separator and the valve; it is capped. Pull the cap off and connect one end of the line to it. The intake manifold connection is a similarly capped nipple on the back of the manifold; from the driver's side of the car, reach behind the manifold and you'll feel two capped nipples. Pull the cap off the small one and connect the other end of the line there. You'll need maybe 2 feet of vacuum line (very small diameter). That's all there is to it.

No was not pointed at you. I read post 77 and I think the attachment could explain how to check for over pressure in crank case. Also I have been with BMW now for 42 years and never have a customer come back with a abnormal oil problem.
    Last edited by stanley; 04-09-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo

It is enough to piss me off though

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    We have two X5s m54 in the shop that after replacing the ccv and the dipstick tube are still getting high oil consumption, one just had a BMW re-man installed and awaiting PuMa on the other. Seems to be a cylinder bore issue,with leakdown over7% in one or more cylinders. Head pulled off and no valve play issue. Both of my personal m54s one a 3 litre and the other a 2.5 use some oil, 1qt 1500-2000 miles but both have over 180k on the odo and for the most part are driven the worst possible way for any motor, short trips.
    Last edited by ptarditi; 04-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    We have two X5s m54 in the shop that after replacing the ccv and the dipstick tube are still getting high oil consumption, one just had a BMW re-man installed and awaiting PuMa on the other. Seems to be a cylinder bore issue,with leakdown over7% in one or more cylinders. Head pulled off and no valve play issue. Both of my personal m54s one a 3 litre and the other a 2.5 use some oil, 1qt 1500-2000 miles but both have over 180k on the odo and for the most part are driven the worst possible way for any motor, short trips.
    Have you torn down the engine you pulled to inspect the bores, pistons and rings? If you have I'd love to know what you found, particularly with regard to the rings.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    I'll check, they aren't my projects though so I haven't followed each step of the proceedure. Just checked they pulled the head and checked k-angle of the valves and were in spec, two of the bores seemed over with taper/ conicity out of spec. Cylinder 1 had 73% leakdown.
    Last edited by ptarditi; 04-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Yipe. 73% leakdown is, um, significant. Any idea what might have caused the cylinder damage? Did the engine look neglected?

-John Wayne

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Didn't look beat on. I think the driving profile of most of our clients is frequent short trips. Whether they ran it low on oil on a constant basis I'm not sure. We're kind of suprised because out side of the Nikasil fiasco BMW bottom ends have probably been one of the motors strong points. Yeah 73% unless it was a typo in the case, made us originally think of broken valve spring or piece of carbon on the valve seats.

My Cars
    2001 520i 2.2

Throwing a spanner in the works!

Vanos seals?

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    dire straits, for sure.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i

Update 4/18/2012

My apologies for not posting earlier but between family travels, work, my son's college selection process and my wife's 2001 530i being busy, I was unable to implement O2's mod on it. However but I do have a few interesting observations to share.

Since it has warmed up, the oil level indicator light has not come on in the last 950 miles which, while not a huge change, is still more than the 600 miles I was getting in the winter. I am thinking to postpone the mod to see how permanent this change is.

On the M52TU (99/528i), I checked the vaccum port on the intake and it goes to some other valve which I cannot recall now so this mod may not apply but that is OK since it does not have an oil consumption issue.

I also bought a 2002 530i last October (89K Miles) and changed its CCV in trying to solve a rough idle problem.
    It has done about 1500 miles so far without oil level indicator lights coming on but I can see from the dipstick that it is not going to get to 5000 miles without a top up.

Lastly, my son just bought a 98 528i (M52 with Single Vanos and Cast Iron block) with 96K miles and the previous owner said it did not consume any oil. Will let you know how that one fares as well.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quick update: Just rolled past 2,000 miles since I modified my crankcase vacuum arrangement. No smoke, no running issues, oil consumption looks relatively minimal; based on a rough estimate of levels shown on the dipstick, looks like I could get down to using a quart every 3-4,000 miles at worst, which is a huge improvement over what I was losing previously. I continue to be somewhat shocked by how well it seems to be working.

-John Wayne

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast