RM European Auto Parts
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Oil consumption after CCV replacement

My Cars
    2002 e46 320i
    Ah ok, noted and good to know. I will update with consumption numbers after the ccv replacement.

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    I'd like to add my car to the list of (probably fixed) oil burning cars. 2005 530i 6spd, driven to the rev limiter and off throttle at high revs every day. It's burnt a quart every 500 miles or so, but I could never see smoke, but to the point that my bank2 cat converter got stopped up (!!!). I just did this mod, and after reading through a lot of this thread to understand why this works, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that the extra vacuum just keeps the diaphragm shut tightly and essentially disables the ccv from working. Considering the amount of vacuum when I try to open my oil canister, there's no way that wimpy little spring can push against the diaphragm. The small vacuum tube to the intake is so small that not much air volume can pass, and its just enough to burn crank case vapors without sucking oil. It's a great mod, and nice of BMW to include a vacuum port exactly where it happened to fix this issue.

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Station View Post
    Well I weighed everything evenly and took an objective stance on all relevant factors and the only factor/variable that changed directly prior to the negative fuel trims was the installation of the o2 pilot mod.
    There was no other work, maintenance or mods being done at or around the time period I installed the o2 pilot mod therefore logically the only variable that changed was the installation of the o2 pilot mod.

Earlier in this thread I posted various logs during idle, on cold start and during highway driving to help indicate exactly my conditions. Since then very little has changed although my fuel trims did continue to slightly get more rich.

Believe me I've done all the diagnostics I can. Countless smoke tests, fuel pressure tests and nothing else seems to be amiss. I checked my injectors, my spark plugs, my coils also my MAF is only about 8 months old and I'm running cat-less.

I understand that many people who have installed this mod have not had a single issue but that does not mean that everyone who installs this mod won't have issues given the various variables that are in play with regards to this mod.
    I dont know if you ever fixed your car, but if you're burning oil, check your catalytic converter for excessive back pressure, you may have plugged one up, and it will cause all kinds of weird issues (loss of power, and weird backfiring noises were mine)...

My Cars
    2000 323i E46 wagon, '743.0Csi, '733.0CS, '67 912,
    Quote Originally Posted by maxt View Post
    I'd like to add my car to the list of (probably fixed) oil burning cars. 2005 530i 6spd, driven to the rev limiter and off throttle at high revs every day. It's burnt a quart every 500 miles or so, but I could never see smoke, but to the point that my bank2 cat converter got stopped up (!!!). I just did this mod, and after reading through a lot of this thread to understand why this works, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that the extra vacuum just keeps the diaphragm shut tightly and essentially disables the ccv from working. Considering the amount of vacuum when I try to open my oil canister, there's no way that wimpy little spring can push against the diaphragm. The small vacuum tube to the intake is so small that not much air volume can pass, and its just enough to burn crank case vapors without sucking oil. It's a great mod, and nice of BMW to include a vacuum port exactly where it happened to fix this issue.
    No I don't think so. The extra vacuum in the CCV (intake pulls more gas via the additional hose) creates more vacuum in the crankcase, which helps to seal the pistons rings better, and so less blow-by gas into the crankcase, this means less gas and oil vapor cycled through the CCV. The only down side to this mod is a 5" HG or 65" water (10x of the spec) vacuum might crankshaft seals to leak air in, or the tremendous force pushing down on the plastic valve cover at 2.5psi (multiply 2.5 to the total VC surface area, i.e. 160 sq-in x 2.5psi = 400 pounds on the VC).

Yes, the high vacuum shut close the CCV diaphragm but the gas still being sucked into the engine via the hose from CCV to intake. Sure the gas must be flowing from CCV into the intake in order to create this vacuum, regardless the CCV diaphragm closed or opened.
    Last edited by Sapote; 08-24-2022 at 02:58 AM.

My Cars
    2000 323i E46 wagon, '743.0Csi, '733.0CS, '67 912,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Station View Post
    I made an account on this thread just to ask this question as I usually spend my time on E46Fanatics but I wanted to ask if it is normal to have high fuel trims (+10) on one or both banks after installing the o2 pilot mod.
    I have a 2005 E46 325ci that is up to date on every little bit of maintenance including a brand new ccv as well as installing a one way check valve on the lower hose connecting off the ccv unit going into the oil pan inspired by the 50's kid to prevent any oil being sucked up into the intake.
    I tried taking off the o2 pilot mod and plugging both holes and I noticed fuel trims slowly normalized to about +/- 3 which was what I had before the installation of the o2 pilot mod.
    However one thing I did notice is that my oil consumption completely halted when I installed the o2 pilot mod.
    Thanks!
    It is possible that the increased vacuum in the crankcase caused more air leak through these parts: valve cover/gasket; crank oil seals; dipstick tube o-ring, just to name a few. Extra air will cause lean mixture and positive fuel trim. Obviously it depends on the condition of these parts.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021