RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 1995 525i Transmission Question

My Cars
    1995 525i M50 25B

Question 1995 525i Transmission Question

I recently got a beautiful e34 for $200 as the previous owner could not get it started and couldn't really drive anymore due to vision and health. He was the second owner and had it since 2006. He took really great care of the car until he started to have some health issues these last 2 years. It has been sitting in his driveway since then with only a few start-ups and drives around the block. He had a couple of overheating issues but would shut it down immediately. He left the accessories on which caused the battery to die. Thus me getting the car.
    I've replaced upper and lower rad hoses, bypassed the aux water pump due to a huge leak, ran seafoam top engine cleaner(low compression from sitting), checked compression again with better results, changed plugs, new valve cover gasket, new thermostat. I've changed a lot of parts on it over the last couple of weeks to get it road worthy and it finally is running like a beast (besides a ticking that sometimes happens on idle).

This car has 224k miles on it and is an auto so I know the transmission is towards the end of life. The one issue I'm getting now is some slight slipping on gear changes and it hesitates to go into reverse sometimes. I'm not afraid to do the work on this car myself and I really don't want the car to die. Looking around I can't really find a transmission where I am that doesn't have similar miles to what I have now. My next plan of action is to change the transmission fluid and filter as I'm unsure what the levels are or when it was even changed last. I'm wondering if this is worth changing with this many miles. Should I try to rebuild myself or try to source a transmission? If so do you have any recommendations? How long do these GM transmissions last?
    Last edited by kamikaze1212; 08-17-2022 at 02:00 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Welcome to bimmerforums.

Using white font on a light gray background isnt the best for reading.
    At this point, you aren't losing much by changing fluid and filter - perhaps it will win you some time. Those transmissions aren't great indeed.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1; change fluid and filter. In fact, don't drive it until you at least know the fluid level is correct.

"Similar miles" isn't always the clue to how long a tranny will live.. Maintenance makes a world of difference.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze1212 View Post
    I recently got a beautiful e34 for $200 as the previous owner could not get it started and couldn't really drive anymore due to vision and health. He was the second owner and had it since 2006. He took really great care of the car until he started to have some health issues these last 2 years. It has been sitting in his driveway since then with only a few start-ups and drives around the block. He had a couple of overheating issues but would shut it down immediately. He left the accessories on which caused the battery to die. Thus me getting the car.
    I've replaced upper and lower rad hoses, bypassed the aux water pump due to a huge leak, ran seafoam top engine cleaner(low compression from sitting), checked compression again with better results, changed plugs, new valve cover gasket, new thermostat. I've changed a lot of parts on it over the last couple of weeks to get it road worthy and it finally is running like a beast (besides a ticking that sometimes happens on idle).

This car has 224k miles on it and is an auto so I know the transmission is towards the end of life. The one issue I'm getting now is some slight slipping on gear changes and it hesitates to go into reverse sometimes. I'm not afraid to do the work on this car myself and I really don't want the car to die. Looking around I can't really find a transmission where I am that doesn't have similar miles to what I have now. My next plan of action is to change the transmission fluid and filter as I'm unsure what the levels are or when it was even changed last. I'm wondering if this is worth changing with this many miles. Should I try to rebuild myself or try to source a transmission? If so do you have any recommendations? How long do these GM transmissions last?
    Delayed reverse engagement is a classic sign of low fluid level. Does it also slam into gear if accelerating immediately after a hard stop?( low fluid sloshes uncovering pick up)
    I'd start by checking the level and then changing the fluid as you planned. Most filter kits do not include the gasket for the front sump which is for the overdrive planetary gear set so you'll need to order that separately. BMW #24 11 1 421 599, FelPro TOS18756, others too you can X ref.
    Your trans, a French built GM design is much maligned by those who didn't change the fluid, which BMW, now paying for "free" maintenance, said NOT to do. That's another topic.
    If yours hasn't been changed there will be a goodly amount of friction material suspended in the oil, sometimes in severe cases of neglect that is all that is providing friction for the clutches as they are worn out. Once you introduce clean oil it slips. If yours is really filthy you might want to top it off for the few remaining miles it has to offer while you plan for an overhaul.
    Having said that rest assured that an oil change will NOT kill the trans. If it slips afterwards it was a zombie to begin with and final death was inevitable.
    The trans(4L30E), if cared for, is durable as any. I am currently driving one with 175k and recently sold my wife's car having the same gearbox that had gone 265k and was still going strong. That was with regular fluid and filter service.
    The good news is your trans uses inexpensive Dexron fluid and not some unicorn tears that other transmission demand.
    Its DIY rebuildable if you can follow instructions, have patience, a modicum of tools and a large workbench.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by ross1; 08-24-2022 at 12:38 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue