RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Fuel issues pls help

My Cars
    Bmw 325i

Angry Fuel issues pls help

I ran my car out of gas twice in one day because my fuel Gage didn't work the second time I ran it out of gas after I put gas in it my car would crank but it wouldn't turn on so I went and got a fuel pump put the new fuel pump in it's doing the same thing I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and the fuel pump stays on for a few moments but once it would be time for the car to actually turn on instead of crank the fuel pump shuts out somebody please help me I check the fuel pump relay I check the fuel fuse everything's fine I cannot figure it out

- - - Updated - - -

BTW it's a 2001 325i

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sigh.

Welcome to the forum.

First, you should know that it's really hard to read a 128 word sentence with zero punctuation. When you're asking for assistance, it's to your advantage to make your post easy to read.

Second, you state that you ran your car out of gas twice in one day because the gauge didn't work. To which I have to say: "Put more gas in the damned thing." Do NOT run your car with a gallon or two of gas -- the fuel pump is cooled by fuel, running the car near empty kills the pump. Fill the tank, run it to 1/4, then fill it. (If the gauge doesn't work, do the computations, and don't plan on running it below half, and err on the plus side)

Thirdly, you state that you "have fuel pressure at the rail": HOW MUCH PRESSURE do you have, with the car running, and when it dies? The fuel pressure is a crucial factor; the fact that it squirts out of the schrader valve is NOT proof of adequate pressure.

Fourth, throwing a fuel pump at the car without ascertaining the pressure was ill-advised. Did you at least install a complete factory /VDO fuel pump assembly, or did you buy some crap aftermarket add-on at Autozoo or O'Really?

And, fifth, this is all dependent upon your having CORRECTLY diagnosed the no-start as a fuel-delivery issue to begin with. I'm not terribly convinced.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471