Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Just updated my DME!!!

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    I wish i knew what any of this conversation was about lol.

Seems interesting, and also getting gains out of your cars?

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nike001

Head over to the Diagnostic Software win-forum. It's a lot to learn at first but not too bad.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Yeah...I'm failing at downloading the software so hard right now.

Would probably be in my best interest to have you do it, New.
    Yea, it would be my pleasure. Hopefully our schedules coincide when I'm out in Baltimore

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post

compared to my old software version Butt dyno gains = yes

But Dyno proven = not yet.

I am definitely dyno'ing my car as soon as I hear of an event. and posting the results here.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    What specifically does the DME improve? air/fuel ratios?

Noticeable power increases?

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    What specifically does the DME improve? air/fuel ratios?

Noticeable power increases?
    Only BMWAG DME engineers can provide a definitive answer. but improvements are there otherwise what is the point of updates?
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    True. But there are noticeable gains to the point where you want to go to a dyno? Do you have a before dyno?

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    330i
    This is amazing guys. I usually troll on e46fanatics but stumbled upon this thread. I admit all in all I am very confused about the whole process but I get the general idea. This would be amazing for me to learn considering I just installed catless headers, magnaflow exhaust and did a SAP delete. If you did a euro flash that only monitored the pre cat 02 sensors and deleted the SAP monitoring could you still pass emissions since technically the software should read "ready" or "ok"? The reason I ask is because I can use sims to remove the codes but I would much rather do it the cleaner way like this. Thanks for any help and keep up the great work!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    True. But there are noticeable gains to the point where you want to go to a dyno? Do you have a before dyno?
    unfortunately not... but yes to go dyno.
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Deah7 View Post
    This is amazing guys. I usually troll on e46fanatics but stumbled upon this thread. I admit all in all I am very confused about the whole process but I get the general idea. This would be amazing for me to learn considering I just installed catless headers, magnaflow exhaust and did a SAP delete. If you did a euro flash that only monitored the pre cat 02 sensors and deleted the SAP monitoring could you still pass emissions since technically the software should read "ready" or "ok"? The reason I ask is because I can use sims to remove the codes but I would much rather do it the cleaner way like this. Thanks for any help and keep up the great work!
    Thanks,

You should TerraPhantom for providing the final piece of the puzzle!
    I had the vision and he pointed me in the right direction!

I will run an OBDII monitor readyness test after I have driven it on DIS and report back on what it find after a few drive cycles have passed.

Keep in mind the euro 2 (no sap, no cats) flash hasn't been tested on a live vehicle so do so at your own risk...
    Although if it works. Report back!
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 05:53 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Dalton, I'd do this for you, but there's one problem: ZHP was a US only package, so there is no equivalent Euro tune. In general 03.5 and newer e46s are out of luck since only US e46s got the MS45.1 ECU. For the non ZHPs, a euro flash from a z4 or X3 may work though (since they had the ms45.1)

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Dalton, I'd do this for you, but there's one problem: ZHP was a US only package, so there is no equivalent Euro tune. In general 03.5 and newer e46s are out of luck since only US e46s got the MS45.1 ECU. For the non ZHPs, a euro flash from a z4 or X3 may work though (since they had the ms45.1)
    Would it be possible to retro-fit an MS43 on non-ZHP cars newer then 03? or conversely fit an MS45 on 01' - 03' DME's? It'd be interesting to know the fundamental differences hardware wise and find out if the pin outs are different.

I now wonder that since now we have identified which software versions don't have SAP or CAT/emissions; if we could compare the flash code against an us-emissions spec MS43 flash file, find the location of the differences then open up an MS45 file and see if the same references are called and simply over write them with the non-emissions variant MS43...

Does anyone here have experience tuning ECU files by hand? or modifying ECU files? and if so what are your recommendations on which HEX editing software to use or any way to accomplish the above?
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    I figured that a ZHP would be a limiting factor in doing this lol

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Would it be possible to retro-fit an MS43 on non-ZHP cars newer then 03? or conversely fit an MS45 on 01' - 03' DME's? It'd be interesting to know the fundamental differences hardware wise and find out if the pin outs are different.

I now wonder that since now we have identified which software versions don't have SAP or CAT/emissions; if we could compare the flash code against an us-emissions spec MS43 flash file, find the location of the differences then open up an MS45 file and see if the same references are called and simply over write them with the non-emissions variant MS43...

Does anyone here have experience tuning ECU files by hand? or modifying ECU files? and if so what are your recommendations on which HEX editing software to use or any way to accomplish the above?
    One can theoretically convert an ms43 to ms45 and vice versa, but the wiring differences are somewhat extensive. Also while one can probably study the differences to create a custom flash, using winkfp to flash the newly created files won't work. Winkfp looks for a checksum; modifying a single byte in the data files would cause the checksum to be wrong. I'm not sure if the checksum was ever cracked.

This is where custom tunes like AA, Shark, and ESS come into play.

Newtoe46: Have you tried skipping the UIF write? It'd be nice to be able to test different tunes without getting stuck with whatever version after the UIF fills up. Also I can't in good conscious recommend flashing without a charger. That could also be why your car acts weird after the flash (my ZHP hated resetting DME adaptations without either a charger or the engine running)
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    One can theoretically convert an ms43 to ms45 and vice versa, but the wiring differences are somewhat extensive. Also while one can probably study the differences to create a custom flash, using winkfp to flash the newly created files won't work. Winkfp looks for a checksum; modifying a single byte in the data files would cause the checksum to be wrong. I'm not sure if the checksum was ever cracked.

This is where custom tunes like AA, Shark, and ESS come into play.

Newtoe46: Have you tried skipping the UIF write? It'd be nice to be able to test different tunes without getting stuck with whatever version after the UIF fills up.
    hmm.. I see. Unfortunately AA, Shark, and ESS code for emissions removal testing are not emission inspection friendly. Where as the code BMW inserted into those two flashes are complaint...

I personally called AA and they mentioned "it is only for off-road use only and will fail emissions basically the readiness codes will never say yes"

I wonder if AA, Shark and ESS know about this... It shouldn't be hard for them to implement BMW's code into their tunes...

No, I have not. But that's a good point. I wonder why BMW limited themselves to 13 flashes... I doubt the EEPROM's ability to be overwritten deteriorates that quickly...

Have you seen the SIB on how sensitive MS45 DME's are to flashing and voltage maybe that is why and the reason I was able to get away with it was because the MS43 is not as sensitive.

Perfect example,

Danewilson77's shark injector of death

Also,

As per DIS after you reset the adaptations you are supposed to turn the car off for 20 seconds for the adaptation values to set themselves then turn the car unto position 2 and start the engine. I imagine you would do the same if done through INPA.

There are also 3rd party bench DME flashers that will allow you to flash your own custom tune.

For example,

Galleto

http://www.kjs-mart.com/shop/product...23068dde757eff

User manual

http://www.kjs-mart.com/myweb/g1250_e.pdf

If you notice it is able to flash e46's!
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Well I just flashed the Euro tune on my M3, and wow, I should've done this a long time ago! The idle is *so* much smoother now. Before the car would always hunt for the idle (and almost every M3 I've heard does the same). The low-end torque (and tbh high-end too) is noticeably improved. I can't imagine how much better it'd be with the actual euro exhaust. Also, while euro M3s have SAPs too, I don't think they're used to the same extent as the US tune.

Anyway I have a theory as to why the cars seem to pull better. The US tune is probably programmed to not go beyond what the shitty California gas allows, while Europe generally has good gas all around. Those of us on the east coast have access to better gas than Cali, so we could probably take advantage of the euro gasoline specs.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Well I just flashed the Euro tune on my M3, and wow, I should've done this a long time ago! The idle is *so* much smoother now. Before the car would always hunt for the idle (and almost every M3 I've heard does the same). The low-end torque (and tbh high-end too) is noticeably improved. I can't imagine how much better it'd be with the actual euro exhaust. Also, while euro M3s have SAPs too, I don't think they're used to the same extent as the US tune.

Anyway I have a theory as to why the cars seem to pull better. The US tune is probably programmed to not go beyond what the shitty California gas allows, while Europe generally has good gas all around. Those of us on the east coast have access to better gas than Cali, so we could probably take advantage of the euro gasoline specs.
    Awesome! You noticed the same improvement I did on my car. Low-end torque improved drastically specially when taking off in 1st gear it feels like a commanding and firm take off with almost no clutch slip. My car used to every now and then hunt for idle and drop the revs below 600 rpms--It has not done that once since I flashed it; it consistently drops and stops at 600 rpms.

If I remember this correctly I read somewhere that US spec non-M3 cars maintained the ICV open for longer when idling down to lean the mixture out in order to further reduce emissions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done the euro flash.

I envy Europeans... They have the best tunes, Packages, and models available to them!

Their version of the ford focus is awesome!

Also,

Read both your DTC codes, and stored shadow codes in INPA to see if there is anything there.
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Awesome! You noticed the same improvement I did on my car. Low-end torque improved drastically specially when taking off in 1st gear it feels like a commanding and firm take off with almost no clutch slip. My car used to every now and then hunt for idle and drop the revs below 600 rpms--It has not done that once since I flashed it; it consistently drops and stops at 600 rpms.

If I remember this correctly I read somewhere that US spec non-M3 cars maintained the ICV open for longer when idling down to lean the mixture out in order to further reduce emissions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done the euro flash.

I envy Europeans... They have the best tunes, Packages, and models available to them!

Their version of the ford focus is awesome!

Also,

Read both your DTC codes, and stored shadow codes in INPA to see if there is anything there.
    DTC just had a CAN-BUS error from when it wasn't able to communicate with the DME (since it was getting flashed). Nothing stored in the DME (shadow or otherwise)

I also noticed that my car starts up much quicker now. Before I could hear 3 distinct cranks when starting the car (sounded like any other BMW starting up) - now it's nearly instant.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm

DTC just had a CAN-BUS error from when it wasn't able to communicate with the DME (since it was getting flashed). Nothing stored in the DME (shadow or otherwise)

I also noticed that my car starts up much quicker now. Before I could hear 3 distinct cranks when starting the car (sounded like any other BMW starting up) - now it's nearly instant.
    Sweet! I haven't payed attention to my start up times. I'll have to see tomorrow.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Keep the info coming guys!
    Last edited by WoLF; 03-31-2011 at 10:55 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    The euro coding is definitely pretty sweet so far. Obviously it'd be better matched to the actual European exhaust, but the software alone has a decent effect. If you are interested in trying the Euro flash, the software number that newtoe46 used is probably appropriate (7545670).

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    I wonder what the compatibility of a Euro tune and Shark Injector is?

Theoretically all the settings adjusted with the Shark can be done with the various software, but why mess with a good thing. I'm just wondering if you have the Euro tune, if the Shark will still adjust accordingly. Anyone try this yet?

My Cars
    2006 330i
    The euro coding is definitely pretty sweet so far. Obviously it'd be better matched to the actual European exhaust, but the software alone has a decent effect. If you are interested in trying the Euro flash, the software number that newtoe46 used is probably appropriate (7545670).
    It's the same for 330ci and 325ci, eh?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    It's the same for 330ci and 325ci, eh?
    D'oh, I thought you had a 330 this whole time ><

You should use 7564450 (EU3/EU4). The EU2 file is listed as 7564762, but realOEM seems to indicate that's an smg program, so ymmv. (The smg programming and manual programming for the eu3/eu4 appears to be the same, so it may work fine).

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bored330ci View Post
    I wonder what the compatibility of a Euro tune and Shark Injector is?

Theoretically all the settings adjusted with the Shark can be done with the various software, but why mess with a good thing. I'm just wondering if you have the Euro tune, if the Shark will still adjust accordingly. Anyone try this yet?
    Shark injector completely overwrites the DME. The starting flash has no effect on what the shark will do.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    D'oh, I thought you had a 330 this whole time ><

You should use 7564450 (EU3/EU4). The EU2 file is listed as 7564762, but realOEM seems to indicate that's an smg program, so ymmv. (The smg programming and manual programming for the eu3/eu4 appears to be the same, so it may work fine).
    Ah, no problem, man. I don't have WinKFP available to tinker around with, but from that information above, I assume you mean to plug the last 7 digits of those p/n's as the ZB #?
    Last edited by WoLF; 03-31-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast