Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Just updated my DME!!!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000

Red face Just updated my DME!!!

First of all this is not for the faint of heart!!! You will see why below

I hooked up my laptop, loaded up and setup WINKFP, typed in my VIN it graciously told me what version it was going to update it to I confirmed then hit off it went!!! then about 16 minutes later it is done and is now asking me if I want to update UIF (user Identification F-something) I hit yes. 8 minutes later it is DONE!!!!
    Excitedly I turn the car on....

IT STARTS!!!!!

BUT then as the revs come back down it starts to idle like its running on 4 cylinders, timing is out wack, give it some gas NOTHING it chugs!!!!! IT IS POOPY!

I literally was about to sh** a brick!!! then I thought ADAPTATION VALUES!

since it updated the ECU it must have not written anything as the basis for the car to start adapting to or they were just way out of spec...

eitherway, I quickly boot up DIS/GT1 and reset ALL adaptation values, and then ready to accept defeat as I start the car.......

VOILA!!! it purrrss!! I took it out for a test drive and hit the rev limiter for the first time and took it too 130MPH!!!

It's literally only been like 20 minutes since I did the update so I will follow up on any differences I notice.

Man, This is what I love about working on cars!!! The rewards of a job well done and a much heavier wallet!!

Cheers!

Last edited by newtoe46; 03-28-2011 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Nice story, glad everything worked out in the end.

But 130 mph?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Heh at least your engine started. When I attempted flashing my DME (before realizing the fast baudrate thing), I just heard what sounded like a capacitor exploding right when the flash started, and then WinKFP told me that the flash failed. Car wouldn't start, and the DME wouldn't respond (INPA and DIS would say module not found). Tool32 at least saw the module, but any relevant data was just listed as "yyyyyyyyyy". I think I literally shit a brick at that point. I fixed it though :P

Just in case something similar happens to you, this is what you should do: Manually enter the ZB number that's appropriate for your car. Quickly cut the ignition then turn it back on. Tell WinKFP to flash. It should go smoothly from there. On the M3, it took about 40 minutes. If/when I get Euro headers I'll attempt flashing a Euro DME onto the car.

The symptoms you got happened to my E46 ZHP a couple times. I never flashed the DME on that car, but whenever I reset the adaptations, the car would run exactly like yours did. Clearing the adaptations again in some strange combination usually fixed it
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-29-2011 at 12:00 AM.

My Cars
    E46M
    inb4 unsafe speeds.

Congrats man.

Hornung418 is offline Kyle of DeVry Institute BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e46 328i
    What's the deal with the M52TUB2X motors...can they be updated as well? Or is this mainly for electric throttle issues?
    06/99 328I | 124K MILES | M54B30 MANIFOLD SWAP | MS42 -> MS43 DME CONVERSION | STILL JUST AS SLOW AS EVER

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    What's the deal with the M52TUB2X motors...can they be updated as well? Or is this mainly for electric throttle issues?
    They can be updated too. Even for the M54 and newer cars, the DME updates are usually for things unrelated to the drive-by-wire (The ZHP had the infamous 4K dip for exampe, as well as the O2 sensor reading issue that causes jerkiness at 2800RPM).

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm
    Heh at least your engine started. When I attempted flashing my DME (before realizing the fast baudrate thing), I just heard what sounded like a capacitor exploding right when the flash started, and then WinKFP told me that the flash failed. Car wouldn't start, and the DME wouldn't respond (INPA and DIS would say module not found). Tool32 at least saw the module, but any relevant data was just listed as "yyyyyyyyyy". I think I literally shit a brick at that point. I fixed it though :P

Just in case something similar happens to you, this is what you should do: Manually enter the ZB number that's appropriate for your car. Quickly cut the ignition then turn it back on. Tell WinKFP to flash. It should go smoothly from there. On the M3, it took about 40 minutes. If/when I get Euro headers I'll attempt flashing a Euro DME onto the car.

The symptoms you got happened to my E46 ZHP a couple times. I never flashed the DME on that car, but whenever I reset the adaptations, the car would run exactly like yours did. Clearing the adaptations again in some strange combination usually fixed it
    Boy, am I glad I didn't even try it with fast baudrate on thanks to you! Otherwise I would be pulling green hairs by now.

I want to attempt to flash my 330ci to euro 3 emmissions standards. I e-mailed a few fellows I saw that did not have a secondary air pump in his engine bay (b33mer) and asked if he could give me a snap shot of his DME with the info I need. I would be nice if he got around to installing Ediabas but not everyone wants to mess with it.

I'm 100% sure it will work! I'm guessing it won't throw codes for the secondary air pump, and the electronic vacuum switch on the manifold for the sap valve. And hopefully not have post 02 sensors!

The car feels as if has much more low end torque and power.

Throttle response is insane!! Just perfect ( could be since it's still trying to adapt itself for grandma mode )

And idle down is much smoother and no more rpm dips!!! It literally comes down and stops dead center ant 600 rpms!

Seriously BMW should offer these updates for free just like apple or android does for their os's.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    They can be updated too. Even for the M54 and newer cars, the DME updates are usually for things unrelated to the drive-by-wire (The ZHP had the infamous 4K dip for exampe, as well as the O2 sensor reading issue that causes jerkiness at 2800RPM).
    Now that you mention 2800rpm. My car used to hesitate very slightly if I gave it 1/2 throttle in first gear up to 3rd. Now its silky smooth no hesitation or any oddness.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    For the Euro DMEs, try going to bmwfans.info and looking up a european 330ci. The part numbers under the "Control Unit, DME (programmed)" entries correspond to the software versions for that particular car. The website is a little bit outdated (it's not recent enough to cover the M3 emissions recall software numbers for example), but otherwise it seems to be accurate. Actually I may as well look it up lol:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...me_programmed/

There's even a software # corresponding to a catless 330! Interesting.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Resetting the adaptation actually fixed my running issues after updating my DME. I can't imagine a car running like that by just resetting the values unless there was something wrong with the car.

Just curious, what did you use to reset the values?

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    For the Euro DMEs, try going to bmwfans.info and looking up a european 330ci. The part numbers under the "Control Unit, DME (programmed)" entries correspond to the software versions for that particular car. The website is a little bit outdated (it's not recent enough to cover the M3 emissions recall software numbers for example), but otherwise it seems to be accurate. Actually I may as well look it up lol:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...me_programmed/

There's even a software # corresponding to a catless 330! Interesting.
    Wow! Thanks for the link!! That's one step closer. I take it knowing the part number is not enough? Am I right? You would actually need to know an euro 3 software number? Hmmmm.... I would be willing to try it out! Who knows it might just work! If not I could always flash it back!!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Neds Bimmer
    Nice story, glad everything worked out in the end.

But 130 mph?
    Yep. 130mph isn't that fast. If my 33 yr old. Porsche can handle I'm sure this brand new BMW (by comparison can) :p

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the link!! That's one step closer. I take it knowing the part number is not enough? Am I right? You would actually need to know an euro 3 software number? Hmmmm.... I would be willing to try it out! Who knows it might just work! If not I could always flash it back!!
    As far as I can tell, all the part numbers that are under the (programmed) category are the same as the actual ZB #s that correspond to the software. So far everything I've checked matches. (ZHP part number matchces what my ZHP had installed after updating for example. The US 330ci part number matches the software version that you posted in the other thread too). The M3 numbers are the only ones I'm finding a little outdated, and that's because the emissions recall was in 2009

So if you want the Euro 3 flash, you'd input "12 14 7 545 670" as the DME part number (which apparently is the same as the EU4 flash). The EU2 flash (12 14 7 545 671) seems to correspond to no cats... probably would be great for people who have eBay headers and the sort! Sadly there doesn't seem to be an EU2 flash for the E46 M3... I guess it just missed the cutoff date. Too bad.

Edit: I should clarify - to get the ZB #, just take the last 7 digits. All the (programmed) numbers seem to correspond to valid ZUSB numbers according to WinKFP
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-29-2011 at 01:17 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    As far as I can tell, all the part numbers that are under the (programmed) category are the same as the actual ZB #s that correspond to the software. So far everything I've checked matches. (ZHP part number matchces what my ZHP had installed after updating for example. The US 330ci part number matches the software version that you posted in the other thread too). The M3 numbers are the only ones I'm finding a little outdated, and that's because the emissions recall was in 2009

So if you want the Euro 3 flash, you'd input "12 14 7 545 670" as the DME part number (which apparently is the same as the EU4 flash). The EU2 flash (12 14 7 545 671) seems to correspond to no cats... probably would be great for people who have eBay headers and the sort!

Edit: I should clarify - to get the ZB #, just take the last 7 digits. All the (programmed) numbers seem to correspond to valid ZUSB numbers according to WinKFP
    WOW!!! You gave me the answer I was looking for for a good while!!!! I just checked on winkfp and both 754670 and 754671 show up!!!!

I will definitely give this a shot!!! If the engine won't run then I can always flash it back since it will still be readable.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Now. The question is... Which one to choose euro 3 or 2?????

I'm guessing euro 3 since the car still must pass emissions.

So 670 takes the secondary air pump out of the ecu while 671 also takes the post 02 sensors with it.

Now with some states requiring a minimum amount of 4 or five monitors on the ecu euro 3 would be the best bet for me!! Let me double check with Virginia emissions.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Also I assume those software versions are old and that once they are flashed unto the DME I would have to run winkfp in auto mode to update it to the latest!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Also I assume those software versions are old and that once they are flashed unto the DME I would have to run winkfp in auto mode to update it to the latest!
    Actually I'm pretty sure those are the latest for the european cars. So far every software version I found was the latest, except in the instances where this database is outdated (I think this database is from 2007 or 2008... most of the E46s got their final update in 2005). Looking at the MDS43.HIS file in the MDS43 folder, there doesn't seem to be anything newer in the 670 and 671 upgrade paths.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Just got the final word "unsupported monitors do not affect the results of the emmissions inspection" so euro 3 it is since I still have cats.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Just got the final word "unsupported monitors do not affect the results of the emmissions inspection" so euro 3 it is since I still have cats.
    Let me know how it goes - I've been tempted to flash mine with the Euro DME as well, but I figured I may as well wait 'til I could afford to get the euro headers & cats too... but if it allows me to delete the SAP without getting in trouble, it might be worth it.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000

Let me know how it goes - I've been tempted to flash mine with the Euro DME as well, but I figured I may as well wait 'til I could afford to get the euro headers & cats too... but if it allows me to delete the SAP without getting in trouble, it might be worth it.
    It's already flashing as we speak!!!!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Stage one done!!!!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Done!!! It runs rough!! About to clear adaptations in gt1!!

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Success!!!! Running smooth!!!!

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Success!!!! Running smooth!!!!
    Awesome! I'll try flashing my car tomorrow I think. And hell, I'll try flashing the factory N54 tune to my dad's car - an extra 40hp would be nice :P

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    look at this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

that error stands for "transfer parameters invalid" in german!!! success!!!!! That is the error I get when i try to manually turn the SAP on!

I took it for a spin and the power is awesome! I will update on how its running the more I drive it.
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast