Thread: Name these parts/pieces that fell out of my engine compartment [pics][oil leak][srs]

My Cars
    e46 330xi auto

Arrow Name these parts/pieces that fell out of my engine compartment [pics][oil leak][srs]

Here's the story:

-'04 330xi Automatic 68k miles
    -Instrument cluster lit up and power steering died
    -pulled over to the side of the road right away
    -leak was noticed dripping from driver and passenger side
    -towed the car home
    -took the under shield off and these 3 little metal things were found (they are solid metal)(just under 1 inch long)
    -also found various small pieces of plastic and a half of a round plastic looking gasket
    -timing BELT fell off
    -i just took out the CCV/oil separator because it was covered in oil and I am awaiting replacement parts
    -I think something else is broken since I found these parts resting on the shield
    -driver side of the block where it looks like a waffle is covered in oil
    -oil can be found all over underneath the engine and ended up on the protective cover underneath

HELP??!?!
    Last edited by NickBB; 03-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    The waffle zone is a sign of a failed oil filter housing gasket most likely.

There is no timing belt, thats a main accessory belt which is why you lost power steering and im guessing the belt broke a hose probably. Its hard to say since we can't see the car, It looks like a tensioner/ pully broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    You say timing belt... but as there is none, I;m guessing a drive belt came off? there was either a pulley or tensioner that locked up on you,.. you'll have to test them all by hand.. I would look up the DIY on belt replacement, and you can check and see how things are supposed to look.. it could be as simple as a tensioner, or as bad as your water pump locked up, broke the belt and whatever was left slapped the belt pieces around for a sec.., either way with those metal pieces, something in there will be obvious when you match it up with pics of before
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    2001 330xi
    I replaced the oil filter housing gasket and those dowel pins look identical to the ones that align the housing to the engine block. My $.02

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    You sure your car didn't try to shoot itself?

We can't really tell what those are. Get a mechanic right meow. You are outside the realm of problems you can fix yourself.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I can't see the pic.

My guess is that the idler pulley sheared off its bearings, the belt broke, the broken belt whipped through your transmission cooler lines, and the oil you see is trans fluid.

My Cars
    2002 E46 TiAG 330i ZSP
    Okay Im thinking..thinking..UP! I think I have something!! wait a minuteeeee! umm.. eh. nevermind.. i got nothing good luck buddy!

P.S. I thought those metal things were possibly, part of a tool set that the previous owner dropped in the engine? eh. Its an idea

________ ________> Ich spreche die Deutschundich bin halb Deutsch. <