Thread: symptoms of bad coolant temp sensor?

My Cars
    95 Avus M3

symptoms of bad coolant temp sensor?

out of no where my car is running like shit when the water temps near operating range. Feels like the car falls flat on its face with any acceleration input, and idles poorly when coming to stops. Just making sure its likely this sensor (on the head, not rad) before i swap her out.

thanks

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    E36
    Are you talking about the coolant temp sensor in the rad? If it has failed your aux fan won't work.

My Cars
    E36
    Are you talking about the coolant temp sensor in the rad? If it has failed your aux fan won't work.

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    nope (as i said in my post).

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    That or the IAT sounds like it is bad. I would try pulling codes. None maybe registered. Since you have two the gage is most likely unaffected so yep sounds like the coolant sensor that goes to the DME not the gage. They are dirt cheap and you don't need to do anything but put a rag under the sensor and have the new one ready to go. You will lose very little coolant that way...

My Cars
    E36
    Sorry, I've got radiators on the brain today. What about the CPS? That's been known to cause performance issues without throwing a CEL

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
    Sorry, I've got radiators on the brain today. What about the CPS? That's been known to cause performance issues without throwing a CEL
    my issue seems to be engine temp related as it runs like normal when temps are below operating temp. Not ruling anything out however

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    1995 325is
    maybe the knock sensor pulling timing out of the engine...if it changes when it gets to normal temp..sounds like it is going into closed loop, but something is sending a wrong signal..maybe an o2 as well...

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Got home and pulled a 1223 code, confirming my suspicions. Ill get a socket to replace it tomorrow night and see how she goes

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    94' e36 325is
    So how did it go? Cause I’m in the same boat and replaced it but it didn’t work I’m still having the same issues