Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacement battery that IS NOT a Duralast DL-49

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Excellent info in this thread.

I have a Continental battery in my car right now that is on its last legs. It is rated for 7 years and it has been exactly 7 years and 1 month since it was installed. So I can't complain. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who sells them online since they do not have stores out on the west coast.

What is the best indicator for service life? CCA? CA? Reserve amps?

What is the consensus on the best bang for the buck battery on the market right? The Walmart battery seems like a good choice.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport
    The newer batteries are a replacement for the size 49 and are available most everywhere. Many have reported success with the Walmart batteries (they usually are the lowest cost)...just be sure to get one that either does NOT need to be vented...or...if a regular design that can out-gas fumes...it has a venting option suitable for your car. CCA need will vary by model of your car...but generally you will need 850 CCA or higher, especially if you have very cold winters. Some of the higher capacity batteries are 900+ CCA.

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The Interstate rep that I deal with at work, hooked me up with a new Interstate battery for 80 bucks. Now that's an awsome deal!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    My two cents: I have had excellent luck with the East Penn group 49 battery. They are sold at Batteries Plus stores under various names...previously "Werker", then "Ray-O-Vac" and I hear currently under "Duracell". Regardless, great quality. I got just over 6 years on one, and the only reason it finally crapped out was my car sat for 5 weeks at a body shop and that deep discharged it. With it's age, combined with the deep discharge, that was it. I have another one, and going on two years, working great like the last one. 900cca. They sell for around $120, but they have sales and rebates, so you can net it a bit lower. They also offer it in an Absorbed Glass Mat version that does not need to vent, or ever require water. About $160 for those. But supposed to have a much longer life too.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, consumer reports has never tested a group 49, but they have tested the similar group 48, and the MAXX battery from WalMart did well. Probably worth considering, as they are easy to find, and prices are usually competitive
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    The responses are much appreciated.

Thanks f355 for turning my attention to the Batteries Plus stores. I had no idea they existed and they seem to offer some quality products. I wish I had seen your post earlier or I would have paid them a visit. I just bought and installed the Walmart H8. We'll see how that goes. Warranty is 3 years replacement and 2 years pro rated. The equivalent BP battery is 3 years replacement and 29 month pro rated. I wonder what the pro rated formula is for both stores.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I use Autozone H8-DL battery because Autozone has a vast network of stores in the US. Should your battery goes out when you are hundreds of miles from home, chances are there is an Autozone nearby.

I asked Autozone to price-match Walmart, and they do. In July 2014 this year, I paid $110 with core returned to them.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    I use Autozone H8-DL battery because Autozone has a vast network of stores in the US. Should your battery goes out when you are hundreds of miles from home, chances are there is an Autozone nearby.

I asked Autozone to price-match Walmart, and they do. In July 2014 this year, I paid $110 with core returned to them.
    +1.
    I just had my alternator and battery tested, and found out that both are bad and need replacing.
    I will probably get the Auto Zone H8-AGM battery for $172:

http://www.autozone.com/routine-main...9459_928719_0/

I am not sure who the specific battery manufacturer is for Duralast.
    But, I know Napa sells Eastern Penn Batteries, and the Napa's battery picture looks identical to the Auto Zone Duralast AGM battery.
    Also verified with the dealer that the OEM battery is by Eastern Penn.

Napa Legend Bat9849 AGM battery for $183.60:
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...849_0398737374

Last edited by Jason5driver; 11-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I just had gotten my H8-AGM Duralast Platinum replaced under warranty for free yesterday. I got the original in January of 2013, after three weeks of not driving and being in a freezing cold garage, it came up only with 2.8 volts on the battery tester. The d-bag red shirt wanted me to only charge the battery on their slow charger overnight, but it's an AGM battery and I wondered if they have the thing that alternates on and off to charge AGM type batts. The dude said it would be better than getting a new battery. LOL okay...

I didn't have my receipt, but they looked me up with my name and zip to find the purchase date.
    Luckily enough a really nice gray-shirt lady came up and took care of me by taking my old(heavy ass) battery that I got from the same Autozone and she gave me a brand new one. Made 11/14 so this month even. The battery does have some changes. It went from 950 CCA at 32 degrees to 1000 CCA at 32 degrees, with the change of 70 RC to 60 RC, the casing is colored differently too since it went from an all black case, to a gray body and black top. Overall, I'm very happy.

The new ones retail for around $179 in my area, but I remember paying only $148 when I first bought it.
    Last edited by senser; 11-17-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    2001 BMW 540i 6-spd
    Long posts ftw!

My Cars
    z3
    Duralast is manufactured by Johnson Controls, same as Interstate, Die Hard, Kirkland, Everstart and Prostart

They are good batteries. Stay away from Exide IMHO, but Johnson Controls makes good batteries. Theres one other company that makes all the other batteries too but I forgot (theres 3 total, Johnson Controls, Exide and the other)

Just make sure to buy the correct "Group" battery - CCA is not the only thing that matters.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Duralast is manufactured by Johnson Controls, same as Interstate, Die Hard, Kirkland, Everstart and Prostart

They are good batteries. Stay away from Exide IMHO, but Johnson Controls makes good batteries. Theres one other company that makes all the other batteries too but I forgot (theres 3 total, Johnson Controls, Exide and the other)

Just make sure to buy the correct "Group" battery - CCA is not the only thing that matters.
    My existing battery that replaced the original OEM battery is an Interstate battery from 2007.

I think you are referring to "Eastern Penn" as the other main battery manufacturer.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 11-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.

My Cars
    70 Camaro & 99 323i
    I just replaced my Bosch battery yesterday morning with a Superstart brand from Kragen. So far it works great and installed just like oem.
    70Camaro RS & 99 323i Sedan

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by senser View Post
    I just had gotten my H8-AGM Duralast Platinum replaced under warranty for free yesterday. I got the original in January of 2013, after three weeks of not driving and being in a freezing cold garage, it came up only with 2.8 volts on the battery tester. The d-bag red shirt wanted me to only charge the battery on their slow charger overnight, but it's an AGM battery and I wondered if they have the thing that alternates on and off to charge AGM type batts. The dude said it would be better than getting a new battery. LOL okay...

I didn't have my receipt, but they looked me up with my name and zip to find the purchase date.
    Luckily enough a really nice gray-shirt lady came up and took care of me by taking my old(heavy ass) battery that I got from the same Autozone and she gave me a brand new one. Made 11/14 so this month even. The battery does have some changes. It went from 950 CCA at 32 degrees to 1000 CCA at 32 degrees, with the change of 70 RC to 60 RC, the casing is colored differently too since it went from an all black case, to a gray body and black top. Overall, I'm very happy.

The new ones retail for around $179 in my area, but I remember paying only $148 when I first bought it.
    Just be aware that you will likely have a repeat if you don't drive the car for more than two or three weeks. Especially after the battery has been in use for a year or two. All modern cars since the late 1990s have a lot of parasitic draw while just sitting. If you leave your car for more than a few days at a time, between drives, you will greatly increase battery life by using a simple, inexpensive (microprocessor controlled) battery tender. You can get one for $20 or $30 and plug it right into the cigarette lighter socket, which is always "on" in an E39. They makes ones that are compatible with AGM batteries.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Talking about cost of living...
    May 2008: bought Duralast Battery DL-49 for $85.
    March 2014: replaced with Duralast H8-DL for $130.

Prices of commodity going up faster than CPI (Consumer Price Index ~3%/year), but the average population salary does not increase that fast.

My Cars
    z3
    Batteries specifically went up in price as the price of lead soared in 2007. From 2004 - 2007 the value of lead increased by a factor greater than 5. After lead plummetted back to normal values in 2008 the cost of batteries never went down at the same rate. They could justify the increased cost in 2007 when lead prices were up, people adjusted and they just never had to re-adjust their prices back down.

I personally think a lot of the economic crisis that happened starting around that time was done on purpose. Note how items necessary for our quality of life have increased substantially in cost, banks gave out bad loans to other banks and when those banks were crippled by the bad loans that defaulted, the bank that sold them the bad loans in the first place bought them out... but thats a discussion for another day.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Talking about cost of living...
    May 2008: bought Duralast Battery DL-49 for $85.
    March 2014: replaced with Duralast H8-DL for $130.

Prices of commodity going up faster than CPI (Consumer Price Index ~3%/year), but the average population salary does not increase that fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Batteries specifically went up in price as the price of lead soared in 2007. From 2004 - 2007 the value of lead increased by a factor greater than 5. After lead plummetted back to normal values in 2008 the cost of batteries never went down at the same rate. They could justify the increased cost in 2007 when lead prices were up, people adjusted and they just never had to re-adjust their prices back down.

I personally think a lot of the economic crisis that happened starting around that time was done on purpose. Note how items necessary for our quality of life have increased substantially in cost, banks gave out bad loans to other banks and when those banks were crippled by the bad loans that defaulted, the bank that sold them the bad loans in the first place bought them out... but that's a discussion for another day.
    +1...

Anyone try using the light-weight Braille batteries...?

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    I am using a similar technology Lithium battery from Battery Tender in my motorcycle. Amazing amount of power. These reason for my buying it, is the stock battery location is difficult to check and add water. You have to be careful in sizing the battery correctly...matching amp hours, not CCA, or you will be undersize and probably wear out the battery prematurely. My stock battery was 120CCA and 12 amp hour. I ended up with a 240CCA lithium to match, it was $110 on Amazon, versus a wet cell battery is around $40. The battery was probably 2/3 the size of the original, and comes with foam blocks to take up the space. Bike cranks over super fast now, and catches very quickly. Where a wet battery can self discharge in a month on a bike, they can go 12 months (claimed) with lithium. Only issue is charging. You cannot use a charger that has any sort of "desulfation" mode, which is common on most battery tenders.

Lithium batteries are popular in the Ferrari forums, but I always used an AGM in the ones I owned. With my recent experience, I might consider them now...but they are pricey in car applications.

My Cars
    2002 530i, stick, sport

Interstate MTP vent holes

Question - Are the vent holes already open, or does the positive end need to be probed open? I just installed an Interstate MTP 49/H8 with vent holes at each end. There was no noticeable resistance when I probed the hole with a nail for +/- 1/2". I plugged the negative end.

- Thanks

My Cars
    z3
    If they are open, put a vent hose in them, the side doesnt matter... if they aren't open and are already sealed closed do not open them.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    You guys make me feel really bad about paying $199 with the core at Advance Auto the other week. I buy oil and filters at Wallmart all the time, never considered purchasing a battery from them though.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2001 325i
    I bought a Bosch battery from Pep Boys. It was about $175, and they have a coupon code for 30% off for online ordering, so ended up being about $125 plus tax...

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro PETE View Post

Does anyone know the Ah rating on this EverStart battery? I've read on some forum that it's 80 Ah, but can't really find any official info to confirm it. Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325 Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro PETE View Post
    Does anyone know the Ah rating on this EverStart battery? I've read on some forum that it's 80 Ah, but can't really find any official info to confirm it. Thanks!
    I have one of the EverStart batteries. Is the Ah rating info on the battery itself? If so, you might be able to call Walmart and ask one of their techs.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
    Is the Ah rating info on the battery itself?
    It's not. Or at least I couldn't find it. I have one, too.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
    you might be able to call Walmart and ask one of their techs.
    haaa, haaa, Haaaa, HAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Walmart tech?!?!?!?!!!!!

HAAAAAA, HAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast