Thread: Post track day brake noise??????

My Cars
    E53, E30/M50, E90, 2002

Post track day brake noise??????

I'm getting this 'dull roar/metal to metal scraping' type of sound when I apply the brakes. I've had this sound appear before after doing track days, but at a lesser degree, and then it would go away after some spirited driving. I figured it was pad residue baked into the rotors that was wearing off over time. This was with stock pads.

After my last event, however, the sound is louder than ever, and it doesn't seem to be going away at all. I checked all around, and I still have pad left, and the rotors are fine. However, there is still what looks like pad residue baked into the rotors now, which I'm assuming is a result of repeated brake applications at high heat, etc., yada yada yada. Calipers and other brake components attached look fine.

Could this just be rotors made noisy from pad residue on them??? (I switched to HP+'s for my last event, for what it's worth.)

Any insight would be appreciated. This noise is driving me crazy. I want to get some feedback before replacing the rotors, since they still have some life left in them. TIA.
    E53 X5
    E30/S52
    E90 325i

My Cars
    2015 M4
    Could be just the pad buildup. I run HP+ pads also, and I've noticed this after a day a the track, but it seems to go away eventually. Maybe you have some junk wedged somewhere in the rotor or pads.
    Chris
    DrVanos.com

My Cars
    97 M3
    Yep, it's pad material baked on. I, too couldn't believe that I had plenty of pad and no obvious defects. I had this same problem last summer when I returned from the track because I was experimenting with Ferodo DS 2500 high performance street pads, probably similar to the HP+. IT does NOT work. You need a dedicated track pad. I switched to some Hawk blues for the track, and Euro rotors on the front. End of brake problem, no grinding noises, no shake after several runs.

Phil
    97 M3 luxo.some mods.

My Cars
    E53, E30/M50, E90, 2002
    phil & chris, thanks for the feedback. i'm going to check everything out once again, and maybe think about some track pads, as well. i don't have a problem with changing pads at the track if i need to.

phil, was your noise really loud? mine reverberates through the cabin. i mean, it's pretty freaking loud braking from any speed above 10mph or so...
    E53 X5
    E30/S52
    E90 325i