Thread: Belt tensioner t50 is stripped

My Cars
    2000 328ci

Belt tensioner t50 is stripped

Undone the belt and did the waterpump change and now all I have to do is put the belt back on and the star bit to relieve the tension is stripped.
    I noticed it was hollowed out pretty good when I loosened the belt and contiplated wether I should go along and do the swap. Now I'm wishing I just had stopped when I noticed it.
    Is there anything I can do to get the belt back on?

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Try a larger torx bit?

Or, push the head of the wrench toward the tensioner while SLOWLY turning the tensioner. Use help to slip the belt on.

Last time I changed belts, I noticed the same thing. Just takes some finesse.

My Cars
    2000 328ci
    yeah your right. I ended up getting a bigger hex bit, like an allen wrench, and hammered it in. Worked like a champ. New belts and water pump so hopefully I won't have to relieve tension anytime soon.

My Cars
    Ford probe gt 03 330
    It's not a torx this might be your problem

My Cars
    2006 330i
    IIRC it was a T50. Perhaps its an 8mm allen?
    I think they differ among types of tensioners

My Cars
    2000 328ci
    What was it then? Brian 3280. Not trying to sound like a smartass just really curious. Followed DIY where it said t50.
    Last edited by eureka77; 03-22-2011 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    It is torx.

My Cars
    Ford probe gt 03 330
    I followed the same diy mine wasn't a torx it was a 8mm it depends on the tensioner I guess luckily I was able to swap the bolt out for another from my local hardware store. I would try an Allen wrench or pound a bigger torx bit in and hope for the best.

My Cars
    E46
    Here's the old tensioner I replaced last weekend.

My Cars
    11 135i DCT, 01 325ci 5m
    That pic looks like a hex bit but mine was a T50, at least thats what worked perfectly.
    Life's simple--You make choices and you don't look back._____Linea Corse Z2S 19x8.5/9.5 et30/22.5 235/35//255/30 T1Rs

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Try fitting an 8mm Allen wrench. That's what I had to use even though the DIY said torx.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Techno Viking, I've got a tensioner on my e39 like the photo you posted above. I'm having a hard time putting the belt back on. Did you just use a 8mm allen wrench to loosen the tensioner? No other tools/procedures required?

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2002 X5 3.0i
    Hate to say it, Torx head bolts in relatively high torque, high tension applications are FAIL. And things like this make it a good idea (IMO) to replace the tensioner when replacing belts. At least that way the Torx is really only used once or twice, and same with the Allen, which is almost as bad. I like standard hex bolts on tensioners. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by wei2kool View Post
    Techno Viking, I've got a tensioner on my e39 like the photo you posted above. I'm having a hard time putting the belt back on. Did you just use a 8mm allen wrench to loosen the tensioner? No other tools/procedures required?
    When you say you used an 8mm allen wrench, do you mean one of these?

If so, you should be using the correct size hex bit such as pictured below with a ratchet, the longer the better for better leverage. I imagine the hydraulic tensioner would be very hard to move with just an allen wrench, as in the first picture.

And yes, the hex bit and ratchet were the only tools for removing & installing the belts.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Techno Viking...yes I meant the hex bit as pictured below. Most of the BMW manuals that I searched called for a T50X torx bit, but it seems like mine had a hex fitting.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I don't know what mine was originally (hydraulic tensioner), but it was partially stripped when I got the car. I should have replaced it immediately but didn't. About the 3rd or 4th time I put the belt back on, it stripped. When I ordered the replacement using the part # from RealOEM, it came with a T50 torx bolt. To get off the belt, I pushed the tensioner arm down with a prybar. Then I removed the whole oil filter housing, drilled out the bolt center and removed it with a screw extractor. Major PITA.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Did you guys have to remove the fan in order to get enough room to move the hydraulic tensioner using the hex bit attached to the ratchet? I have not removed the fan yet, but it's very tight space in there.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Yes, you should remove the fan. It is possible to remove the belts without taking the fan out, but it's a real pain. Taking the fan out makes a world of difference and if you've got a MT, only takes a minute or two.

EDIT: To remove any of the pulleys or tensioners, you will need to remove the fan as the bolts holding them in are too long to take out with the fan in place.
    Last edited by 2Bored330ci; 03-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    E46
    +1 to what 2Bored330ci just said, definitely remove the fan.

And if you have the hydraulic tensioner as in my picture above, it was easier for me to move the pulley while holding the ratchet in a horizontal position and pushing down.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've got the tensioner like the one you have pictured above Techno Viking, the one with the 8mm hex. I take it it's the hydraulic kind then. How could you tell if it was mechanical or hydraulic? I have to wait until the weather warms up here in Chicago to work on the car again. I really don't want to remove the fan, but if I have to then it's my only choice.

My Cars
    330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by wei2kool View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've got the tensioner like the one you have pictured above Techno Viking, the one with the 8mm hex. I take it it's the hydraulic kind then. How could you tell if it was mechanical or hydraulic?
    Techno Viking's picture is one of the hydraulic tensioner. If you look at the tensioner for your A/C compressor belt, then that is the mechanical tensioner.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Thanks for all the help guys. With the 8mm socket and ratchet, it was a cinch putting the belt back on, and I didn't even remove the fan.

My Cars
    '08 Bmw 528i
    I'm pretty new to the forum. I've come here pretty often to get good advice on some of the repairs on my 08 528i. However, I need some assistance. I have a stripped t45 torx on my tensioner, what should I use to take it off and replace it. I really just want to replace it myself instead of paying a ridiculous amount to get it replaced in the shop. What size bit is needed for a t45 extraction?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Some tensioners have a square ear on the end of the assembly and you can put a 16 or 18mm (or some size) wrench on it and lever off the tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Take a pic and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmartin1914 View Post
    I'm pretty new to the forum. I've come here pretty often to get good advice on some of the repairs on my 08 528i. However, I need some assistance. I have a stripped t45 torx on my tensioner, what should I use to take it off and replace it. I really just want to replace it myself instead of paying a ridiculous amount to get it replaced in the shop. What size bit is needed for a t45 extraction?
    Chances are it's not a Torx.

In the meantime try an 8mm allen wrench or preferably a ⅜" drive socket hex bit, they're a couple but at Home Depot. You should have a set of metric socket hex bits anyway....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...S8MM/202913544