Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031

Thread: Finally Picked up My M3 LS1 Swap Candidate :)

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    If you get a similar vibration at double the speed of the first, isn't that typically a DS harmonics issue?

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    Mine was undetectable below 55 mph and got progressively worse with speed. The vibration stopped growing at 80ish but never subsided. It was definitely a balance issue.

My Cars
    99 LSX M3
    That M5 diff swap is impressive. Nice work
    99 LSX M3

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    Thanks, I had a lot of fun on this project. I've got better than 500 miles on it now. All is quiet and smooth. I'm going to lift the car and nut and bolt every thing.

I have all of the old parts on the Panjo market place if anyone needs some well used parts. 3.64 lsd, 3.91 lsd, the subframe plus All of the shims I bought for the 188 are on there as well.

My tires are in the garage and I'm looking for the right place to burn these down. Need to get it aligned before the new hides are installed.

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    A not so new issue that I've had since I put the motor back in relates to the lack of ignition when I turn the motor over. Now and then I turn the key and the motor spins over but will not fire. I immediately turn the key off and try again and it fires right up. I was told by the tech at the Dyno that it relates tot the"cranking ignition". It never did this until I R&R'd the motor. I've lived with this for the past two years but I'd like to get this squared away. Does anyone have an idea where to look or what direction I should go. This is one of the downsides of buying a car and not doing it yourself. I have no idea how it was wired.

Any insight will will be appreciated.

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    I have that exact "feature" on my car, I have a Lingenfelter 24x -> 58x converter box because I'm running an LS3 with an LS1 ECU. The Lingenfelter converter box is 180 degree's out of phase every other start and the engine won't fire on the odd cycle. Nothing you can do about but accept it.

If you're running one, that's the reason. If you're not sure, search the engine bay for the little black box to confirm.
    John
    E36 LS3

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    I had to read back in the build thread since I recall a discussion about this. The reluctor wheel was replaced with the 24 tooth so no converter box was needed. This never happened when I bought the car. Only after I killed and rebuilt the motor. I assume I made an incorrect connection. Thanks for your input.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Wish your pics were working from the beginning! Awesome build

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    Sadly the photos from early in the build where hosted by the previous owner. I can do much to add them back.

I got the car aligned a few weeks ago and the tech did a great job. Rolls straight down the road and the steering is nice and light but doesn't wander. In the next week or two I need to get the new tires mounted. My son and I will take it on a leg of the hot rod power tour in June.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by englishtom1596 View Post
    Wish your pics were working from the beginning! Awesome build
    I am still around. The pics were hosted on imageshack which went down and converted to paid model. I still have them on my computer probably, but it would be a pain in the ass to find each one.

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    Good to see you're still monitoring the progress. The machine is sweet. You would be thrilled to take it for a spin. I'm not sure it can be improved much more. Gas gauge is still screwed up. And the cruise still will not engage in 6th. Other than that it's awesome. I had a little paintless dent removal done to remove a couple of dings. My new tires are still sitting in the garage but next week is my opportunity to mount them.

Do do you have any insight on my intermittent starting issue?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Definitely crank / cam signal issue. When you rebuilt it did they mess with the reluctor at all? Same crank sensor? Cam gear?

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    We reused the same crank so I assume the reluctor wheel was unchanged. The cam gear was definitely changed since I went with a new double row chain. Same crank sensor as the one you used and worked well until the motor was reinstalled.

I did reroute some wiring to the cam gear. Let me double check that everything is correct

My Cars
    2008 535i
    See what gear you used. It has to be LS1 specific since it is using a LS1 Ecu.

Should look like this.

My Cars
    1998 M3 LS3 powered
    IMG_0382.jpg
    So I made an end table from the old parts of the engine. You can see the cam sprocket on the bottom. I cannot confirm what sprocket is on the cam today. Base do on the symptoms I can assume the wrong one installed. Fixing this will have to be another project. Thank for looking into it.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Love it!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Fixed most of the pics

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031