Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WINKFP can't find my ZUSB

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000

WINKFP can't find my ZUSB

Well, I'm starting to get a hang of how this all works. My next step was to determine if a DME has any available updates and got stuck at the point where I enter in my zusb to proceed any further. Here's a screen grab of INPA; correct me if I'm wrong--the software version is my ZUSB number. I can't find it manually either. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I used INSTA-P_V38 SP-daten-E46 files to set up winkfp 5.1.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-21-2011 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Just select the MSD43 as the ECU-family and then let it determine the software you've currently got and what the latest available is.

Also make sure the E46 folder was the last one you picked when you imported all the assembly line data. (If it wasn't, copy over the gdaten folder from the E46 data folder to the WinKFP data folder). BMW stupidly made it so that WinKFP will only show the possible ECUs for a single chasis type. I've been working on creating a one-size-fits-all gdaten folder, but that's going to take me a while.

Oh and if you decide to update your DME, make sure you have "fast baudrate" unchecked. It does not work with the older cars. I found that out the hard way (my M3 had a DME with no software for a couple hours until I figured out the old cars don't like the fast baudrate option)
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-21-2011 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Just select the MSD43 as the ECU-family and then let it determine the software you've currently got and what the latest available is.

Also make sure the E46 folder was the last one you picked when you imported all the assembly line data. (If it wasn't, copy over the gdaten folder from the E46 data folder to the WinKFP data folder). BMW stupidly made it so that WinKFP will only show the possible ECUs for a single chasis type. I've been working on creating a one-size-fits-all gdaten folder, but that's going to take me a while.

Oh and if you decide to update your DME, make sure you have "fast baudrate" unchecked. It does not work with the older cars. I found that out the hard way (my M3 had a DME with no software for a couple hours until I figured out the old cars don't like the fast baudrate option)
    Interesting, I used the gdaten from an e70 as per the " how to start winkfp. pdf" guide... I'll give that a try and report back. I've seen you mention turning off fast baudrate in many other posts and I disabled mine. but thanks for the heads up! Just curios how long did it take your DME to update?

Another thing, I'm just brainstorming here but If I were to know the ZUSB of a NO CAT exhaust variant vehicle and flash it unto my car would that get rid of the software side of emission efficiency checks? i.e the DME will no longer monitor the SAP or the 02 Sensors after the catalytic converter?

I also noticed this in my GM5 trace file

SPIEGELABKLAPPEN_GM OUTSIDE MIRROR FOLDING IN (GENERAL MODULE)
    * nicht_aktiv not active
    aktiv active

I assume US spec mirrors do not have the internals for this to work.
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-21-2011 at 01:08 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Once I got everything going, I'd say my DME took somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes to update.

And yea I've posted the fast baudrate thing in a lot of places - it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, so I just want to let people know before people brick their DMEs... It's definitely a scary experience, especially if you're not familiar with all these programs. I remember when mine failed, I stood their for about 20 minutes thinking "holy shit, what the fuck did I just do?" lol. It seemed like the DME was completely unresponsive, but I noticed that tool32 would let me poll some of the data if I quickly turned the car off then on. So I quickly turned it off/on, disabled the fast baudrate (I figured since everything else in the computer world seems to work more reliably in low-speed modes, I should try that), and then much to my relief the progress bar started going lol. I later did some research, and it seems that the guys over at bmwecu.org also had similar problems with fast baudrate. Wish that board wasn't private so that I could find other morsels of useful information. I think the fast baudrate only works with the newest BMWs (my dad's E60 had no issues with it).

Oh and another thing -after the progress bar reaches 100%, it'll ask you the same question from when you started "this ECU can be updated X number of times, do you want to update" - say yes again. It seems like the DME update is a two-stage process.

As for the no cat thing - I'm not sure if such a DME flash exists, but if it does, it should work. You do need to make sure the HW-NR is the same between the two firmwares though.

The US-spec mirrors don't have the internals for the folding to work, but you can easily retrofit the proper mirrors. Since your car is an 01, you can even retrofit the M3-folding mirrors. Our mirror modules do support the functionality if you have power/memory seats.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-21-2011 at 01:15 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    That's some good info!! Thanks. If only someone could give me the HW-NR out of a no cat vehicle; they're out there... in EUROPE.... somewhere

Question,

Where can I look up my HW-NR numbers?

Well, no luck with trying the e46 gdaten files... The same output is given. Could it be possible that my DME version is so old that it was no longer showing on ISTA_P files or that it has a custom tune on it?

There isn't even a single file that starts with 7510***
    Last edited by newtoe46; 04-18-2011 at 03:22 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Again, don't bother looking up the actual ZB number. Just do the ZUSB update, pick the MSD43, enter your VIN, hit back, then hit Prog ZB. Update or whatever that button is called. It'll then come up with a dialogue saying "Current version: X. New Version: Y. Update? Yes or No". You're correct in that there's a good chance your software version is so old that BMW didn't bother including it in the latest packages

If you misspell something, nothing will happen - NCS will just error out saying you entered something that's not valid.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-21-2011 at 03:21 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Again, don't bother looking up the actual ZB number. Just do the ZUSB update, pick the MSD43, enter your VIN, hit back, then hit Prog ZB. Update or whatever that button is called. It'll then come up with a dialogue saying "Current version: X. New Version: Y. Update? Yes or No". You're correct in that there's a good chance your software version is so old that BMW didn't bother including it in the latest packages

If you misspell something, nothing will happen - NCS will just error out saying you entered something that's not valid.
    Once I hit back there is a button called Program. I clicked it and it just asked me if I want to proceed with coding. Nothing showed up telling me the current and after flash version numbers.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Sounds like you're still manually identifying the ZB number. Dont. Just hit F3, pick MSD43 (there should be no ZB numbers to pick), then enter your VIN, hit back, and click the program/update button.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm
    Sounds like you're still manually identifying the ZB number. Dont. Just hit F3, pick MSD43 (there should be no ZB numbers to pick), then enter your VIN, hit back, and click the program/update button.
    Ok. Got it. I'll give that a shot. Quick question. I had some trouble coding my gm5 module in ncsexpert.-- For comfort closing. Which profiles are known to have coding abilities? I first tried the expert profile to code it and it did not save the configuration i gave it once I read the module again to verify the changes. I then used revtors profile to re-code and it went through. How can I make or make sure a profile has all coding permissions/abilities?
    Last edited by newtoe46; 03-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Subscribed. I'm interested to know the outcome. Goodluck

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    SUCCESS!!

Thanks TerraPhantm!!! Looks like my DME's Software version is quite old!

Question,

MSD43 is used for the DME; What are the equivalent names for the LCZ, GM5, KMB modules in winkfp? are those modules even update-able? If they are, i'd like to start updating those first before the ECU since I assume it doesn't take as long and it won't leave me with a very large paperweight.

Also, What are your thoughts on this? Specifically the service bulleting that states

"With KL15 turned on, verify that the DME main relay is energized and that each and every power
    input to the DME is correct (refer to the ETM). If the DME main relay does not energize,
    manually power up the DME by jumping the main relay (K6300) terminals 30 (power supply) and
    87 (power output to the DME). In order to do this, remove the main relay from its socket. Jump
    corresponding terminals in the relay connector (KL30 and KL87) with fused jumper cable (e.g.,
    PN 88 88 6 611 476)."

Or does that only apply to MS45.1 DME's?

Last edited by newtoe46; 09-08-2011 at 01:56 PM.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Very nice. Do you actually plan on updating it? If so, what power supply/battery charger do you intend to use?
    I should be right behind you this afternoon when my cable arrives.
    Last edited by WoLF; 03-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    Very nice. Do you actually plan on updating it? If so, what power supply/battery charger do you intend to use?
    I should be right behind you this afternoon when my cable arrives.
    Yes, I do. I don't have one yet. I'll get one that can supply a constant 20amps charge.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Yes, I do. I don't have one yet. I'll get one that can supply a constant 20amps charge.
    You'll want one that can supply a stable voltage as well, stable voltage is the key as the amperage will adjust according to the load on the car. If your voltage drop suddenly, it'll cause an abort of programming.

There's numerous recommendations for power supplies on the board. I personally use a INC-700A, it provides stable voltage from 13-14.8volt selectable and up to 70amps. It's a good one if you want to have a power supply you can use on later model BMW's as well as most newer chassis require up to 70-80amp power supplies.

But any power supply you find that has a "Flash Programming" feature should do the job properly.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    LSZ, GM5, etc can't be updated. On the older cars (pre most-bus) the only updateable modules are the DME and transmission (if equipped with an auto). To update anything else, you need to buy a new physical module. (Well, the 2002 and newer LSZs can probably be updated with an external programmer, which is a project I'm currently working on. There's no way to access the onboard flash, which is separate from the EEPROM, through the K-bus as far as I can tell.)

As for the charger - I use a diehard 2/20/60a charger and for the e46 I found 20A was appropriate. For the e60, I use 60A, but had to turn on some electronics to keep the voltage down. You do have to keep an eye on it to make sure the voltage doesn't go too high. I will probably get a proper power supply (that can regulate itself to 14V) one of these days. Just hard to justify when what I've got seems to work okay for my purposes.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    What is about just connecting an idling second car via jump-start cable as a source of stable power?

My Cars
    2006 330i
    I would recommend that

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Depends on alternator of that second car. Anyway, I don't feel to spend $350 for PSU for one time job, so looking for alternatives. My digital voltmeter shows pretty stable current coming from my Toyota's alternator, and anyway, this will be in addition to fully charged battery.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

DME Update E46 328ci MS42

Hello to all

I decided after doing lots of reading to startup the laptop and find out some information regarding the DME update for my 2000 BMW E46 328Ci with automatic steptronic transmission.

This is what INPA indicates

Under INPA Coding data i get the following
    Software #7505516
    Official # 7505552
    Assembly # 7505515

When accessing WinKFP, i enter the ZUSB (which i believe to be 7505515 and also tried the other numbers listed, but get an error indicating that it cannot find the assembly identification number. Here is the error listed

Ok, now from all the reading i have done, i saw that newtoe46 had a simiar porblem and ended up doing what Terraphantm said regarding the gdaten files. I went ahead and downloaded the E46 ISTA files that are shown on one of the threads regarding the DME update process.

Does the error i get refer to the same thing regarding the gdaten files? I have not touched or modified any of the gdaten files as i wanted to consult first before doing so. Is this my case then? Do i then copy the V40 data/gdaten files onto the C:NFS/Data/Gdaten folder? Is this the problem or is there anything i have left out and not done? Is the ZUSB supposed to be the last 7 digits of the desired DME update file? Not sure as i am a bit confused with the procedure. Looking at the European DME programs available for the E46 328 from here, http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...me_programmed/ there is a EU2 program and a catless program as well. Would both of these also have the SAP removal as well?

Ok, now i went into SSS and under Progman Measures Plan get the following
    Proram DME Old part number: 7505515 new part number: 7526757

I was curious to see what information i would get with SSS regarding this procedure.

Assuming that the Gdaten files need to be updated and this corrects the problem in WinKFP, what would i need to do to update to the Euro 2 DME update that from what i have read includes the SAP removal and post catalytic O2 sensor removal so that i can incorporate aftermarket headers and not have the SES light staring at me every day. I have read that this makes some good power as newtoe46 has enjoyed the DME update and notices the power along with other that have done so.

I am giving it my all here to get this done right.
    Can you guys point me in the right direction.

Regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by se93; 05-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Mark,

Did you load up winKFP with the V40 daten files through

import/expert menu bar?

Assembly line data

P-SGBD
    PABD

options?

After you have loaded it up close it and reopen it. If it gives you any .as2 or .dat file errors simply browse to c:\nfs\data\gdaten, open each file individually and resave it.

Also make sure you are running winKFP 5.1.0 prior to any of the steps above.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    I followed the steps that terraphantm told me which was to:
    Import the assembly line data (gdaten file folder)
    then copy the contents of the 'ECU" folder to C:/ediabas/ecu and the "SGDAT" folder to C:/EC-APPS/NFS/SGDAT.

After doing this i get the options to select the type of DME family and a wide assortment of different DME flashes.

Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by newtoe46 View Post
    Mark,

Did you load up winKFP with the V40 daten files through

import/expert menu bar?

Assembly line data

P-SGBD
    PABD

options?

After you have loaded it up close it and reopen it. If it gives you any .as2 or .dat file errors simply browse to c:\nfs\data\gdaten, open each file individually and resave it.

Also make sure you are running winKFP 5.1.0 prior to any of the steps above.
    Last edited by se93; 05-30-2011 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    87', 89' E30, 04' S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by se93 View Post
    I followed the steps that terraphantm told me which was to:
    Import the assembly line data (gdaten file folder)
    then copy the contents of the 'ECU" folder to C:/ediabas/ecu and the "SGDAT" folder to C:/EC-APPS/NFS/SGDAT.

After doing this i get the options to select the type of DME family and a wide assortment of different DME flashes.

Regards,
    Mark
    Either method serves the same purpose

My Cars
    E46 330i
    @newtoe46: Do you already have updated your DME? Or you still waiting for power suppy?

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    ha ha

My Cars
    BMW E65 745i

Thumbs up

Hello .. can you help me please ?? What is this error mesage ???

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/winkfp.jpg/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nowic View Post
    Hello .. can you help me please ?? What is this error mesage ???

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/winkfp.jpg/

Thanks
    everyting is ok ..
    Last edited by Nowic; 01-12-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast