Thread: e36 M3 decideds it wont start

My Cars
    95 m3

e36 M3 decideds it wont start

So my 95 m3 wont start, new battery so thats not the cuplrit. im to weak to push start alone. So i turn the key all electronics turn on and nothing, no starter whine, no turning over. i have checked starter with volt meter and it has 12v, i even changed batteries and same thing. More or less this is me just being pissed off because i have no f-ing idea what is going on. if it is the starter i has given no signs of fatigue ever or any sign it was going to die (every other car i have had has given signs the starter was going out). I am not asking for ideas unless you want to give them this is more of me just publicly saying F U to my M3. im so mad i used this emoticon to express my dismay. looks like a shop will get a fat stack of cash in the next few days to fix this thing.

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    does it make any noise at all when you try to start it? If its the starter you can jack the car up and beat on it with a rubber mallet, might work.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    95 m3
    no noise, tried the hammer thing already also. no error codes show up either so im not sure wtf is going on. at least it looks good sitting there though

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Try a different key? It sounds like you have an EWS2 problem. You might want to check the power points in the engine bay, and look for any blown fuses, or water in the ECU storage cubby...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Does the fuel pump prime? If not, EWS2 problem. If it does, it might be the starter.

I've heard from more than one person that these starters almost never die, but when they do, they tend to just randomly drop dead with no warning. Never witnessed a dead one myself.

I got one with 206k on it, one with 146k, and one with 343k, all original and all going strong. They usually last forever.

My Cars
    E30 shell...
    Any update on this? I have the same problem with my 95...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Cabrio

Wink

I suggest to check the crankshaft position sensor. No signal from this, no ok to the starter motor through the ECU. My 95 M3 suffered such a problem and I spent several nights to discover the reason! Any loss of power and/or difficult to start the engine before the total blackout?

My Cars
    '95 Cosmos E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by giom3 View Post
    I suggest to check the crankshaft position sensor. No signal from this, no ok to the starter motor through the ECU. My 95 M3 suffered such a problem and I spent several nights to discover the reason! Any loss of power and/or difficult to start the engine before the total blackout?
    i also suggest looking at the crank position sensor. they are rare earth magnets, and over a number of years, they have been known to lose their strength. one day, the car will start with no symptoms, and the next? nothing. i had to replace mine two novembers ago (preventative maintenance).

My Cars
    E30 shell...
    Well it was good for a few days and then today it happened again. I almost knew it was going to happen. The first few stops I made today as soon as I turned the key it started. The the last two stops I turned the key and held it in the start position for 1-2 seconds and then it started. Then finally my last stop I turned the key, the cluster looked normal, all the lights were on, but no start. I ended up pop starting it and it fired up and I have not had a problems since (2-3 more starts).

When I turn the key and hold it in the start position for 1-2 seconds I do hear a small click, but it sounds like a relay. I am starting to think it is the starter or the CPS. Thoughts?

Sam

My Cars
    97 M3
    Starter, immobilizer or ignition switch. CPS won't stop it from cranking, it can prevent it from starting but, apparently it's not even cranking.

My Cars
    E30 shell...
    Any suggestions on troubleshooting this? Especially the immobilizer side of things? I do not really want to just throw parts at it if at all possible, thanks!

Sam

My Cars
    95 m3
    ok so for mine after taking it to the shop it turns out that the prevous owner piggybacked something off the ignition switch and buried the fuse way way under the dash. apparently that blew so once it was found its working again. wire was taken off ignition and given its own open fuse spot and all is working great now. glad it was a small thing. i was Also under the impression that the 95's didn't have the immobilizer i thought that was implemented in 96 or 97 on, but hope you get your fixed for cheap also

My Cars
    E30 shell...
    Hmm... I do have an after market alarm on my car.. I may look to see if it is tied into the ignition switch.

Sam

My Cars
    E30 shell...
    Mine ended up being a bad battery. Voltage on the battery was 11.5-11.7 when the car was off and I was getting a low ecu memory code. I replaced the battery with a nice interstate and it worked flawlessly.

Sam