Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker sizes??? DLS, JL, OTHER?

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    there's a ton of people that have made their own...

maybe whiteknight will sell you his. I don't think he's using it anymore...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1499197

wait a sec, thats surely not his car is it?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick325 View Post
    Yeah, that's his vert. His mom's house burnt down last year and took his vert with it. He's now in a 300zx.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    dude.........

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    i didn't know that.. that's horrible...

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    ok, just got done with the back side panel speakers... some interesting things ..... first off i'd always thought that those speakers were 2 ohms... the nokia's i pulled out were 4 ohms... i was able to take the crappy nokias out, and fit in 5.25's in the hole, while screwing the frame, and tweeter back over it, and then putting the side panel thhingy back in. it was really much easier than i ever thought.. you just have to break the clips, and take the nokia's out, and still use the frame.the back speakers make a world of difference. i still want to get an 8" sub in a 10x10x12 box to fit in the ski-pass though...

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Resurrection!

Anyone know if there is a crossover or something hidden in the rear section that would cut highs if I buy this spearker as a replacement for the rears?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashland View Post
    Resurrection!

Anyone know if there is a crossover or something hidden in the rear section that would cut highs if I buy this spearker as a replacement for the rears?
    Do you have the HK system or the Nokia 10 speaker system?

To give you some insight, on the HK system there's only 1 pair of wires going to each of the pods. On the non-HK system, there's a seperate pair of wires to power the mids vs the tweets in the pods.

So, with the HK System, IIRC, there's a small crossover for the tweets to be powered off that channel as well as the mid. With the Non-HK 10 speaker system (Nokia), the amp probably has the mids and tweets of the rear pods crossed over seperately.

I'm pretty sure they did this on the HK's because they wanted to use 2 channels for the subwoofer so they chose to "steal" those channels from the rear pod tweets and just have them crossed over with a capacitor.

If you have the nokia sysem, it looks like you might be able to connect the tweeter input directly to the tweeter on the speaker (but you'd effectively be cutting leads on your speaker! Yikes).

You could probably just hook them up to the midrange channel of the Nokia Amp...

Or you could buy an HK amp from me for pretty cheap and then have two channels that are already crossed over to run a sub or some midbass?? I've always wanted to add some 8" speakers to the spots where the factory amp is at on a e36 vert without rollover protection...
    Last edited by trayson; 09-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    I when I bought the car I thought they said I had the HK, and looks like that was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    To give you some insight, on the HK system there's only 1 pair of wires going to each of the pods. On the non-HK system, there's a seperate pair of wires to power the mids vs the tweets in the pods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Finally installed my speakers this past weekend.

Anyone know what is that module below the driver's side rear speaker? Is that for the vert top?

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Ash -

What did you do? My speakers are awful, so I am contemplating a change. Just put a new radio in, but that just shows me how awful the speakers are. So after I do my seat re-upholstry, I will be considering doing a speaker change and a door panel redo. How much did you spend?
    Last edited by 110reef; 10-18-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashland View Post
    Finally installed my speakers this past weekend.

Anyone know what is that module below the driver's side rear speaker? Is that for the vert top?
    yes, it's the top control module IIRC. that's where I put in my top speed sensor bypass so I would operate my top at any speed.

www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by patrick325

On a good note, that makes getting to your speakers really easy!

Sorry about your car man!

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Thanks for the info Trayson.

Reef, I spent $55 on the speakers (link in one of my posts above). I had some Amazon money to spend and it was way overdue to replace the speakers. My engineer buddy/stereo expert did the wiring & hookup for me (went from the mid and tweeter factory 4 wire set up to a mid+tweet one piece two wire.)

I then weather stripped and taped the holes like a vietnam sweatshop to seal it off.

My Cars
    01 Audi S8

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Old thread but a question

This might be a weird question, but is that a spot for a Subwoofer behind the seat. Is that factory or has that been made to fit before it ignited the fuel tank ? Just purchased an E36 Convertible yesterday and the sound system blows

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1499197[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by OzDrDj View Post
    This might be a weird question, but is that a spot for a Subwoofer behind the seat. Is that factory or has that been made to fit before it ignited the fuel tank ? Just purchased an E36 Convertible yesterday and the sound system blows

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1499197
    [/QUOTE]

Old post but replying for anyone who finds this from google.

The spot behind the seats is for the factory amp/the factory automatic roll over protection system. The spot for the sub is between the two seats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12