Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker sizes??? DLS, JL, OTHER?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Convertable

Speaker sizes??? DLS, JL, OTHER?

Heyy Guys,
    New here so play nice haha

Just got myself a 1996 E36 328 Convertable an was out for a cruze last night and the rear speaker in the arm rest has decided that the rubber/foam surround would like to fail so it just sounds s**t. I was removed the cover and checked it out and it looks like i would be able to fit a 4 1/2 - 5" speaker in there and i was wondering if its been done or possible. As well as after looking afound it seems that you can use 5 1/4" speakers in the front kick panels with 1" tweaters in the front doors.

That leads to my next question, I am looking at two different speaker brands and was wondering on your experiences, specifically im looking at DLS Ultimate UP5i as well as JL Audio C5-525X. These are both two way setups so i can use them but was Mainly wondering what i can use for the rear ones??

Cheers in Advance,
    Ryan

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Check the Car Audio & Electronics section as they will have all the information you need.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Remove the rear speaker pods and throw them in the trash can. Get yourself some 5.25" coaxial speakers (or seperates if you wanna spend more money) and go to town. you might have to fill some gaps with some weatherstripping puddy or something similar. And you will have to drill a couple new holes, but no big there. Just make sure that you don't get speakers that stick out a bunch on the FRONT side or they'll interfere with your grills.

Mine:

Previous example:

Another example:
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Convertable
    so your wouldn't reccomend something like a 4'' as a straight replacement. Im more looking fomr something that looks standard. I have pleanty of other cars i like cutting and shutting but this one i dont wanna be drilling and cutting holes in.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Just so happens I working on the speakers in my vert right now. A 4" speaker with a square mounting flange will go right in the back once you remove the speaker pod (you just have to drill holes for the screws,) but you'll need a thin sheet of metal, plastic, or cardboard to fill in the gaps around the edges. This is fine with me, as I don't need any bass from back there (I have 2 10" subs in the trunk.)

The PO had installed 5 1/4 speakers in the back of mine, and it looked like they made them fit, used duct tape to seal them in.

The front kick panel takes 5 1/4 speakers. I have a component set in the front of mine.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Convertable
    Okay awesome mate just what i wanted to hear. Im planning on getting a set of JL Audio C5-525 component's for the front and then some JL Audio C2-400's for the rear. And then i will be running them off a 4ch amp that i will be in the boot where the old 6 stacker was would like to see some pics of the build of the subs if you have any??

My Cars
    E36
    good info guys, I'm in the same boat as op
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    95 318ic/sc +11 tsx
    i'll post a pic of mine when i get home

mine's a bit cleaner looking

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Convertable
    okay cheers buddy well im going to get the C2-400's today as thy NEED replacing then i will start saving and get the C5-525's an amp later when funds permit and i will think about the sub and box once i see some other pics haha. Cheers for all the input guys

My Cars
    hoveround
    Any of you guys ever crammed a set of 6.5"s in the rear? I too am in the process of replacing the cabin speakers. I'm pretty sure I can fab a set of adapters to get them to mount properly.
    As Trayson mentioned though, I've been a little concerned about clearance. My plan was to do a set of 6.5 midbasses running in mono for rear fill and to add some extra punch for bass guitar and such. I'm hoping the lower profile as opposed to a coax will allow me squeeze them in there, though an adapter will ultimately push the front of the speaker out probably 3/4 to an inch. It just hard to see how much clearance is behind that panel once it's in place...

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by RsKeyz View Post
    Any of you guys ever crammed a set of 6.5"s in the rear? I too am in the process of replacing the cabin speakers. I'm pretty sure I can fab a set of adapters to get them to mount properly.
    As Trayson mentioned though, I've been a little concerned about clearance. My plan was to do a set of 6.5 midbasses running in mono for rear fill and to add some extra punch for bass guitar and such. I'm hoping the lower profile as opposed to a coax will allow me squeeze them in there, though an adapter will ultimately push the front of the speaker out probably 3/4 to an inch. It just hard to see how much clearance is behind that panel once it's in place...
    The only time I've seen an issue is when a buddy of mine mounted some 5.25's that protruded too much towards the TOP of the speaker (like on the opposite end as the magnet). I think that the opening isn't quite big enough in diameter for a 6.5" without cutting sheet metal.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    so the moral of the story is that a 5.25 will cram into the back without much of a problem?

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    So I put in my speakers over the weekend. Polk db series all the way around db401 in the back, db 5251 in the front. The tweeters fit perfectly in the hole left when you remove the stock speaker from the door (other than being the wrong color for my car - black with silver highlights, I have a tan interior) Not quite as efficient as the MB quarts I pulled out, but I have plenty of available power from my amp (a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000.) Reason for the swap was one of the front midrange speakers blew, no replacements available (they are the old-school Quarts, from Germany, not the new cheap ones.)

I'll load some pics tomorrow of the rear 4" install, I used some XTC foam baffles to fill in the gaps (they'd probably work for a 5.25" speaker as well.) I'll also take some pics of the 2 different sub boxes I have. The PO had a single 10" alpine sub box, I've taken it out, and put in the dual 10" Soundstream SPL's box I originally built for my 318iC. Both fit in the front portion of the trunk (under where the top sits.)

My Cars
    323 IC black and tan, 750IL full leather and sport
    I am going to either put in 5.25's or 6.5's in the back on my vert. I have a couple of pairs of KEF coaxials in both sizes sitting around already. If I can get a mini DSP to be able to time delay, attenuate and band width limit for rear fill for front only listening and then switch to normal mode for when I have passengers in the back seat I will go with the 6.5's and a little dremel work. If not I will go with the 5.25's processed for rear fill only. There is a pretty good bit of room there to fit them as long as they are not to deep or to thick around the mounting in front.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Convertable
    still really interested in seeing these sub boxes lol. Orded the Rear speakers an they will hopefully be here soon

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    '94 325i vert
    I was able to fit 6.5 speakers in the back. I had to drill new holes and kinda fiddle with the speaker to make it work but it fits. I cut the plastic "cross peices" out of the center of the speaker grill. I also had to cut off the lip on the outer edge of the speaker. If you dont trim these parts the speakers rattle. Sadly I have cheapo speakers, but its alot better than blown 4".

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Here are the pics. Sorry about the delay.

1st the rear 4" speakers:

Now the sub boxes:

As you can see, I'm not a master of upholstery, but it was my first attempt at carpeting a box (I normally just leave them wood.) Fortunately the only part you can see (the back) came out pretty well. You can modify the sound of the sub by where you place it in the truck, pull it back and it hits lower, push it up and it hits higher and tighter. I really need to cut the carpet in front of the ski pass through (I have removed the plate) so they woofers can breathe when they are pushed up.

Not the greatest view, but it's in my attic. It's a bit shallower than the other box front to back, but the sub sits more upright. Pretty much looks the same in the car.
    Last edited by ConvGeorge; 04-08-2011 at 03:54 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Why only go with a 4" in the rear? 5.25 fits easily...

That sub box looks familiar...

www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    [QUOTE=trayson;21745313]Why only go with a 4" in the rear? 5.25 fits easily...

That sub box looks familiar.

Yes I based the box on those pics, but it's slightly different.

As to why the 4" over the 5 1/2"? I had 5 1/4 speakers in there, they really didn't sit flush, had gaps that were filled in with duct tape, I didn't like it. The 4" speakers sit perfectly flat on the rear panel and the slight gaps around the edge were perfectly filled by the XTC speaker foam. Lastly, being that I have 2 10's in the trunk, I don't need any bass coming from the rear speakers, they are just fill, I have their crossover point at 180hz on my head unit's internal crossover.
    Last edited by ConvGeorge; 04-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    ok, i'm doing te 5.25's in the back.. how do i get the panel out? is there a screw, then pull forward?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick325 View Post
    ok, i'm doing te 5.25's in the back.. how do i get the panel out? is there a screw, then pull forward?
    no screw. just pop the door card insert towards the front of the car...

www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    no screw. just pop the door card insert towards the front of the car...

thats awesome, thanks man! i'll get this all together one f these days.. found a company on ebay that has the box for the ski-pass, but they only ship in the uk..

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick325 View Post
    thats awesome, thanks man! i'll get this all together one f these days.. found a company on ebay that has the box for the ski-pass, but they only ship in the uk..
    there's a ton of people that have made their own...

maybe whiteknight will sell you his. I don't think he's using it anymore...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1499197

www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    '95 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    there's a ton of people that have made their own...

maybe whiteknight will sell you his. I don't think he's using it anymore...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1499197
    ha ha, i already sent him a message about it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast