Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC light on, DSC button unresponsive

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nah2323 View Post

Cross Acceleration sensor value exceeded.

11 Accelerating sensor 1 09/1998 37146781405 $102.03

Looks like that's the animal.. From what I've read, it's under the driver's seat.. I could be wrong though, that was for e39.
    has anybody ever seen these go bad or changed one before? Update: nevermind i pulled off trim on floor and pulled carpet back and sure enough i can see a connector just sitting there unplugged. No wonder why sensor is bottoming out at -25. How did it get unplugged??? Too hard to see where it connnects to and no room to get fingers down there... Looks like the seat has to come out... How hard is it to remove seat? Just the bolts to track? Or do i gotta unplug wires???
    Last edited by purplecty; 07-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Ive always had my dsc light on since purchased. The acceleration sensor is bottoming out with a -25 value which is why the light is unresponsive. I never got around to taking out the seat, but before i do that i noticed in dis there was an option to align this lateral acceleration sensor with the steering angle sensor and then after i have to also do a steering angle sensor alignment. Is this possible it can fix the problem or would i be wasting my time? Could the sensor just not be connected? How would it of become unplugged?
    Last edited by purplecty; 12-02-2013 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    I believe I am having this issue now as well. Car starts all lights are off. As soon as I go into drive and turn the wheel the dsc light comes on and stays on. Going to start with unplugging the battery and charging it all the way.

Judging from this topic, it sounds like I should start with the sensor under the seat then make my way to the one behind the steering wheel? Another pointless and stupid electrical feature on the car that does not provide any value.
    Last edited by fratrickbateman; 05-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fratrickbateman View Post
    I believe I am having this issue now as well. Car starts all lights are off. As soon as I go into drive and turn the wheel the dsc light comes on and stays on. Going to start with unplugging the battery and charging it all the way.

Judging from this topic, it sounds like I should start with the sensor under the seat then make my way to the one behind the steering wheel? Another pointless and stupid electrical feature on the car that does not provide any value.
    Just the DSC light? What are the errors? Possible bad steering angle sensor or the sensor just needs to be re-calibrated...

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    It's just the DSC light. On all the time. I replaced all of the wheel speed sensors the past year with new ones.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    It's just the DSC light. On all the time. I replaced all of the wheel speed sensors the past year with new ones.
    Sounds like a steering angle issue but read the errors first.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Thanks. Do I need to buy one of those diagnostic readers? Or can I take it to autozone and get the code? I started it up again just now, no lights. left it in park and began moving the steering wheel around and it came on again. I did open up my column a few months ago to pull out the EWS to program a few new keys. Maybe I knocked something loose while I was in there.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Sounds like a steering angle sensor. Maybe you unplugged it? You’d need INPA to read the codes. I had similar symptoms except eventually the light was just on all the time. Had to replace the sensor, code it to the car and recalibrate. Needed help with the coding and calibrating part...
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola

Light

Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Sounds like a steering angle sensor. Maybe you unplugged it? You’d need INPA to read the codes. I had similar symptoms except eventually the light was just on all the time. Had to replace the sensor, code it to the car and recalibrate. Needed help with the coding and calibrating part...
    Thanks for the info. Where do I go to get an INPA? Also, when you say you needed help coding and calibrating how did you pull it off? Can I just purchase one of these? I'm assuming all you need is a laptop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-K-D...EAAOSwsZhcIzR2

Lastly, does my DSC still work? If it does I have zero reservation about pulling my cluster and removing the bulb. This "feature" (which is a stretch, not sure what you would even call this system) is ridiculous and does not assist the car in any way whatsoever unless it is somehow part of the traction control system. Never heard of this before LOL.
    Last edited by fratrickbateman; 05-20-2019 at 12:02 AM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    That cable and software will probably work. Software is pretty readily available online for free download. Also need a 16 to 20 pin adapter so you can plug in under the hood which is the only place you can read those codes.

https://www.amazon.com/AntiBreak-Con...ll-spons&psc=1

Software and cables also available at bimmergeeks.com.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Also need a 16 to 20 pin adapter so you can plug in under the hood which is the only place you can read those codes.
    Really? So what's the story with the obd port below my climate control? That won't pull anything?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Really? So what's the story with the obd port below my climate control? That won't pull anything?
    That can only access the egs and dme unless you mod the port under the hood. Then you can access all modules from the 16 pin port.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Got it. I'm on it. I'll give you guys an update in a week or so when I get everything in the mail.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Just got all the cables but was sent the wrong adapter. While I'm waiting on it I tried to install the software they gave me which was disaster with an instruction installation list a mile long. Tried to get it going but I'm pretty sure it isn't properly installed. Anybody have any recommended links for the software? Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Okay so I have all the correct cables and software. Software that I have now downloaded uninstalled and re downloaded 3 different times with zero results. I followed all of the steps to a T. When I connect the cable to the obd in the car, the red light turns on the cable, the computer is ready to go with program running. I select my model and engine type and get about 2 to 3 error codes and no option to check errors. None. I don't think that the program is syncing up with the car at all. I have spent about 5 hours on this now and am extremely frustrated as I am an expert with tech and things like this. I am getting nowhere and running version 5.02 at the moment. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Well since I'm not getting anywhere I'm going to try to fix this thing like this poster did in the e39 forum to see if I can avoid having to code and calibrate this piece of crap. I took the adapter to autozone and it worked perfectly on their handheld unit but of course it only read engine codes to which there were none.
    I'm going to open up the sensor and see if anything is broken or deformed in there. I wonder if there is a way you can keep the computer chip in it and simply swap out the broken bits.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=646253
    Last edited by fratrickbateman; 06-04-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I have this exact problem with the 90 degree error code in my wife's E39. I found that post you linked above in my search and wasn't happy to learn of the impending sensor replacement.

I first cleared codes in the angle sensor and then DSC, which got the light off but it came back. So I guess I'll try to initialize it or look at the values while turning the wheel. Then it's either reinitialize or new sensor time.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola

hassle

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    I have this exact problem with the 90 degree error code in my wife's E39. I found that post you linked above in my search and wasn't happy to learn of the impending sensor replacement.

I first cleared codes in the angle sensor and then DSC, which got the light off but it came back. So I guess I'll try to initialize it or look at the values while turning the wheel. Then it's either reinitialize or new sensor time.
    I pulled the column and removed the sensor pretty easily. They say that the sensor contacts are usually the issue as they can wear down. Upon inspection my contacts look brand new, so unless the actual sensor crapped out (unlikely) then it is most likely the yaw sensor. Unfortunately after removing the column, I cannot get the steering reconnected, it won't go back in all the way no matter hard I try. Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow to re attach and diagnos. I'm done trying to figure it out. If it is the YAW then Im going to see if I can get it refurbed to avoid having to recode.

I wish I never would have even tackled this. All because of a stupid light. LOL

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I pulled the column and removed the sensor pretty easily. They say that the sensor contacts are usually the issue as they can wear down. Upon inspection my contacts look brand new, so unless the actual sensor crapped out (unlikely) then it is most likely the yaw sensor. Unfortunately after removing the column, I cannot get the steering reconnected, it won't go back in all the way no matter hard I try. Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow to re attach and diagnos. I'm done trying to figure it out. If it is the YAW then Im going to see if I can get it refurbed to avoid having to recode.

I wish I never would have even tackled this. All because of a stupid light. LOL
    So the sensor is ok? I read that the "whiskers" in there that make the contact can bend and then read wrong. Were they bent?

Please write back what the diagnosis and fix is. Maybe it just needs to be aligned?
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Yeah the contacts looked perfect and were making contact. I seriously doubt it was an alignment issue as I just had the car aligned last spring after having a tie rod link replaced. I should know something by the end of next week.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Just heard back from the mechanic, he got the SAS error and a pump failure code yet the SAS is calibrated and working perfectly. Nothing wrong with it and stated before the contact pins looked mint. He is 99 percent sure the ABS module is failing so I'm having it sent out this week. I'm surprised the original is still in there given the car has 230k on it. Figured it would have quit by now. I'll give an update as soon as I get the module back in.

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    Just got the module back in over a week ago, everything reset. Light keeps coming back and they can't figure it out. The mechanic thinks it is the abs pump now and is going to test to make sure it is functional. This is very rare right? I think I read on here before that abs pump failure is extremely rare.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The pre-charge pump can fail - and that can be detected by diagnostics - read the second part of this:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/ABS/Index.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2001 740i M sport Imola
    I just heard back from the mechanic. It is the pre charge pump. Looking in to having it rebuilt now. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Oodles of them on Ebay for 30 quid and up.....
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast