Thread: Planning to buy an E38 750iL

My Cars
    2000 750iL

Talking Planning to buy an E38 750iL

Howdy Folks!

This is my first post to this board and I am sure glad to have found it! Seems a bit inactive at the moment, but I hope some of you still have your ears to the ground.

I'm planning to buy a 750iL, probably 1998-2000, depending on price, though I could go as early as 1996.

I would be interested to hear any opinions regarding the best years for E38 750's.

I would also be interested to know what I should look out for when casing out used 750's. I know, for example, that I can get the service history from any BMW dealer if I have the VIN number, so I can look out for cars that have been in the shop too much. (Monday cars?)

I am concerned about reliability because I live quite a distance from any dealer, so I will be relying on my friendly neighborhood independent mechanic. I am afraid I'm not much of motorhead myself (please don't shoot me!).

So far, the best deals I have seen have been on ebay, which would mean I would have to travel to inspect and pick up the vehicle, then drive it back home. Some of the best cars seem to be in Texas. ("Oh dear, I have to spend three days driving my 750 back from Texas. Woe is me." NOT! )

I want to do my homework so I don't get burned. Can't wait to drive the thing, though!

Thanks!

- Swordsman
    E38 750iL Wannabe

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus
    Hi Swordsman! Welcome to Bimmerforums.com

Good luck on finding a nice 750iL. Don't buy the 740iL discussed in this thread; Click here to read thread

Enjoy yourself!

Bob ///M3

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    Welcome to Bimmerforums, <b>Swordsman</b>. Damn, White River Junction, isn't that on the other side of the river of Lebanon, NH? I used to visit relatives there every year when I was younger. . .

. . .about the E38 750i/iL

General consensus is that the V12 is pretty reliable in all MYs. Define the feature content and how new a car you want. The motor/drivetrain throughout the gen should not be a problem.
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    2000 750iL

Thumbs up You got it right.

Yep. WRJ is just across the river from Lebanon, NH.

It is also about 1.5-2 hours in any of three directions to get to the nearest BMW dealership. *SIGH*

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT

Re: You got it right.

Originally posted by Swordsman
    It is also about 1.5-2 hours in any of three directions to get to the nearest BMW dealership. *SIGH*
    LOL! That sucks. I can probably hit 20 dealers in a 1 hour radius.
    Nick

My Cars
    2000 750iL

Angry OK, so rub it in already.

OK, so rub it in already.

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT

Re: OK, so rub it in already.

Originally posted by Swordsman
    OK, so rub it in already.
    Sorry, bro. Actually, I was nearly in your situation when I lived in Indiana. Only 1 dealer around.
    Nick